Living History
Donate to LHVW

Second Life's Beloved Recreation of Mont Saint Michel Soon Leaving SL for "Economical" Reasons

Leopoldina
@leopoldina
9 years ago
280 posts

Unfortunately, it seems that Mont Saint Michel will be closing soon.

21396833730_21a761f59a_b.jpg

Full post: http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2015/09/second-life-le-mont-saint-michel.html#more

updated by @leopoldina: 06 Jan 2017 02:22:02AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,889 posts

Sad news. Hate to see wonderful regions like this closed due to financial reasons.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
wiseboyqc
@louis-francis-de-beauharnois
9 years ago
34 posts

Sadly another sad proof LL overcharge for his services. This was indeed a very well made sim.

Ekaterina Petrovna Shuvalova
@countess-shuvalova
9 years ago
209 posts

Thats sand :( I use to visit it a lot, and mj, maria, and I have fond memories of the place dating all the way back to 2009. But I have faith, with every closed door, comes a new opened one. Who knows what the future of sl has in store.

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
9 years ago
358 posts

Completely agree with the other posts, it's sad to see a lovely place go and tier is wayyyy too high in here.

Jane Ixtar
@jane-ixtar
9 years ago
115 posts

This SIM is so complete and profoundly immersive, a defining work. So still and transcending are the humble prims. I know good sims are going at a surprising rate, but surely in this case, it could be worth trying some way to preserve this lovely place. Surely even the Lindens have some appreciation here for the value of Mont St Michel. A replica on such scale and sensitivity really should not be allowed to go easily in my books. To the builder of Mont St Michel - I hope if Lindens let this go, we see you in another place again, if you have the energy. My fondest wishes and thanks for what you made for us.

Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
9 years ago
313 posts

I really hate to think of SL without this sim. It was one of the first I discovered and is part of why I got charged up about SL in the first place. Time to make LOTS of photos for the memory book.

Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
9 years ago
313 posts

Well said, Jane. I have been told that the creator cannot be reached and in essence the sim is abandoned. I don't know if this is true.

The treatment of light is probably the best I have seen in SL. I HATE to see it go.

Jane Ixtar
@jane-ixtar
9 years ago
115 posts

Madame de Sade, it is the light so true and since I realised its significance as an hommage to the real location, my attachment has grown. I wonder if it is worth approaching Lindens, I know it is difficult when so many other places are lost, to justify being more active about one than others, but I doubt there would be anyone who did not feel the immensity of this loss. I'm told a French builder, but not sure about the ex/owner or builder. And as you point out, it was this initial experience that stayed with you. Wouldn't it be nice to land at the shops as noob place for SL, surely a far richer experience than landing at those Wallmart places as we do now as a noob so devoid of soul. Such a waste.

Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
9 years ago
313 posts

I heard that the builder is a woman in Japan and repeated efforts to contact her have failed. LL surely could reach her and I wish they would and that they would maintain the sim. As I understand it, revenue from the various shops covers the tier cost.

SL has too many Wal-Marts (in my opinion) and not enough Mont Saint Michel, Forgotten Cities, Suburas and so many other sims that no longer have a home.

My alt, "cousin Trolley Trollop" is working on a small Day of the Dead build which includes the traditional altars and offerings to relatives and others who have been important to her -- Elvis, William Faulkner, etc. (Trolley has rather catholic tastes and interests!) It occurs to me that creating altars to honor sims that no longer have homes in SL might be a) more fun and b) maybe generate some interest among people outside of this community who might donate to keep this forum funded.

Halloween is cool, but Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) is cooler (again, my opinion) and is a marvelous, colorful, and loving tradition all through Central and South America. Sugar skulls, marigolds, Catrinas, dancing, singing, and families spending time together.

I'm babbling...mostly in frustration that places that make SL a wonder tend to go poof.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

It's back ....

Mont Saint Michel Region Returns in Second Life

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 20 Nov 2016 05:36:56PM
Leopoldina
@leopoldina
8 years ago
280 posts

OMG @tatiana-dokuchic that's great news! I can't wait to visit it again!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

It is!  I think this is the first reversal of this type that I've ever heard about in SL.  So nice to get some good news :)

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

More news from Inara Pey:  Mont Saint Michel returns to Second Life

--
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
8 years ago
359 posts

Delightful news! Creativity of such richness is something that needs to be seen and shared and preserved. I hope it is a positive sign for the future.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch

updated by @tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi: 22 Nov 2016 08:53:03AM