Living History
Donate to LHVW

Foray Literary Society notes and plans

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
8 years ago
154 posts

[This post was originally only to let everyone know we had launched the Regency-era literary society, "Foray." But at our second meeting we decided this forum would be a great place to keep track of what we're doing and planning. ]

Today Foray had its first meeting and I can tell it's going to be a ton of fun. Join us. We have crumpets. You can catch up quickly on what went down at the first meeting, in the notes below this pretty graphic. (Ackermann I L U)

3622_discussions.png?width=750

Foray 2016 10 02 first meeting report

Ten people attended the first meeting of Foray, the Antiquity Aubrey & Austen Association, a Regency era literary society, held at 10:00 a.m. SLT on Sunday 02 October 2016. All came dressed in period attire, and there were moments of light roleplay, but mostly casual planning. Our Plans:

- To have a meeting at 10:00 a.m. SLT on the first Sunday of each month in our upstairs Reading Room at the Sanditon Shops, Port Austen, Regency Somereset, Antiquity Argyle. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Antiquity%20Argyle/70/101/31

- To share recommendations and reviews of any literature written during, OR about, the Regency era.

- To choose one book per quarter as our Quarterly Read to read together and discuss at one of four special sessions per year, on the first Sundays in December, March, June and September.

- To sometimes include live readings in voice, of a short passage a couple of paragraphs from some book under discussion. All are welcome to bring readings and suggestions and to lead discussions!

- To share info about, and invitations to, Foray, with other people and groups who may be interested.

- To go as light or as in-depth as we like, reading only the Quarterly Read novel, or adding in supplementary readings, as we each individually choose.

We chose for our first Quarterly Read the popular favorite, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen , which is free via Project Gutenberg, linked in a bookcase on your left as you enter our Reading Room, or here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1342

Those who wish to delve deeper may join in also reading Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft (mother of the Frankenstein author of the same name) which youll find linked from a book on the front counter in the Reading Room, or here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3420

Next to the volume with Vindication is another early feminist authors work, Olympe de Gouges Declaration of the Rights of Woman and the Female Citizen , written in 1791 in reaction to the French revolutionary constitution. http://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1791degouge1.asp

In addition I (Merry Chase) personally find some interesting parallels between Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and Patrick OBrians Master and Commander, the first of his seafaring Aubrey and Maturin adventures, so as this is our first Quarterly Read of Foray, Im going to throw in Master and Commander by Patrick OBrian as an additional related work, and suggest that if nothing else, you read the opening where Maturin and Aubrey, future fast friends, nearly come to a duel over quiet at a concert. Im sorry that M&C is not available free, like P&P is, but you can pick up a copy used, quite cheap.

Our first Quarterly Read discussion will be led by me unless someone else steps forward and volunteers to lead it. That will be on the 4 th of December.

Next Meeting: Sunday 6 November 2016 10amSLT, for general Regency literary discussion.

updated by @merry-chase: 06 Nov 2016 12:09:31PM
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
8 years ago
359 posts

Delightful. I have read bothPride and Prejudice andMaster and Commanderrepeatedly, but not in tandem; doing so will be a pleasure!

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,894 posts

Pride and Prejudice is one of those rare books that always seems to get better with every reading.  I might have to find some Regency wear and join the fun :)

As an aside; I see that the transfer of this post has effected the formatting a bit.  I believe that if you resize the picture it may fall into line.  Go into update and click the image for resize options or you can drag a corner to change the size.  After some experimentation, I've found that a width of 600 usually works well.  Also, with the new site we can set recurring events (woohoo) if you'd like to create one for this. 

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
8 years ago
154 posts

Thank you Tiamat and Tatiana! 

Tatiana, suggestion taken -- yes, adjusting the photo size did clean up the formatting. And yes, sounds good -- I'll set this up as a recurring Event. W00t! 

Tia, here's to another re-read! 

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
8 years ago
154 posts

Our second meeting was held today, 6 November 2016. Attendance was lower than at our launch, but we suspected that might be due to the USA's time change. 

We added some titles to the list of reading ideas. We decided it would be good to have a forum-based location for that list, and decided this Living History VW forum would be an excellent choice. 

It was suggested that we could watch some Regency-era video, and listen to audiobooks, together. Kghia agreed to take the lead on organizing watching and listening parties, with assistance from Jacon who has had some experience with setting up these sorts of things in past.

All are encouraged to add suggestions, whether at meetings, or by comment to this topic! 

The list of planned reads, and possible future reads, follows. 

for discussion Sunday 4 December 2016:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Additional optional titles for 4 December 2016

Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft

Olympe de Gouge’s Declaration of the Rights of Woman and the Female Citizen

Master and Commander by Patrick O’Brian (or at least the opening scene)

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

Future Reading Ideas

Lady Susan by Jane Austen, written in 1794 but unpublished until 1871

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott, 1820, set in 12th c.

Poldark Saga by Winston Graham published 1945-2002, set in 1783 - 1820

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier published 1936, set in 1820

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke 2004 set in 1806

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers 1983 time-travel to 1801

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving 1820

Zorro by Isabel Allende 2005 sent in California 1790 – 1815 + epilogue 1840

Tales of the Napoleonic Era, by Honore de Balzac

Titles by Jeffery Farnol

Titles by Zen Cho

"A Jane Austen Education: How Six Novels Taught Me About Love, Friendship, and the Things That Really Matter" by William Deresiewicz.

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emma Orczy, written in 1905 and set in 1792

On Stranger Tides, by Tim Powers, 1987, set in 1718

Longbourn by Jo Baker, 2013, retelling Pride & Prejudice from the servants’ point of view

Wild Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, 1936, set in 1834 or so

Mr Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. Forester, 1950, set in 1794 (& other Hornblower series novels)

At our next meeting we will discuss Pride and Prejudice and related works as listed above, choose our book to discuss in our March 2017 meeting, move forward with other plans already initiated, and welcome additional ideas. 

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,894 posts

Very cool!

Besides Pride & Prejudice I've read:

• Pride & Prejudice & Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
  • Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James
  • Longbourn by Jo Baker, 2013, retelling Pride & Prejudice from the servants’ point of view

Might have to go on a binge re-reading and join you in December :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
8 years ago
154 posts

Yes, please join us! I want to hear about Longbourn. I'm very eager to get my hands on a copy of that one. 

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
8 years ago
154 posts

I read Longbourne in a day. Now I'm listening to Longbourne. I love Longbourne! What an excellent job Jo Baker did of entering the world of the workers in another era. The wonderfully sweeping story arc, and the perfectly placed details along the way, make this an excellent read, whatever the subject matter. And to me, the stories of poor and working-class people are always more interesting and accessible than court intrigues.  

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,894 posts

I'm glad that you enjoyed it!  It gives so much more depth to Austen's world.  While I was commiserating with the Bennet girls & their quest for economic security it was too easy to forget that their servants were in even more dire straights.  I'll never think of Elizabeth getting all muddy while walking over to see Jane without knowing the price Sarah would pay in labour to get those clothes clean again.

On a related note, I had been meaning to write a small blog post about Jane Austen for years now.  Finally got it done so that I could also promote "The Foray".  Hope it sparks some additional interest :)

--
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
8 years ago
154 posts

A link to your blog post on Austen, please!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,894 posts

Merry Chase:

A link to your blog post on Austen, please!

Chasing Jane: Pursuing Jane Austen is Always a Pleasure

--
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
8 years ago
154 posts

Today, we had our third meeting. And it was our first big Quarterly Meeting! The turnout was a little lower than at our first two meetings, perhaps because of holidays, but we did have one or two new members join us, and many returning members, and the conversation was lively.

So many excellent questions and observations! To me, the hour-or-so went by very quickly.  We talked about the relationships between characters in Pride and Prejudice. For example, the dynamic between the sisters, or the marriage of Mr and Mrs Bennet and the prospects for happiness in the Darcys' marriage. We talked about plot twists like the catalyst of Lydia's elopement and that of Lady Catherine's censure. We touched on Austen's view of women's place in society, and speculated as to whether she might have been familiar with some early feminist authors. And we touched on some tantalizing spinoffs, from Pride and Prejudice, written more recently. 

So, for our next big Quarterly Meeting, we plan to pursue further, the topic of spinoffs. So...

For Discussion Next:  

Longbourn by Jo Baker, 2013. A look at Pride and Prejudice's world from the point of view of "downstairs." The servants to the Bennet, Bingley. and Darcy families are seen to have lives -- and story lines! -- of their own, as authentic and perhaps even more moving than those of their employers. While providing us with these new characters, Baker also sheds new light on the motivations of Austen's beloved ensemble. 

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith, 2009. In this parody, the familiar story unfolds with a twist. Zombies are terrorizing dear England, and accomplished young ladies like Miss Elizabeth Bennet must wield their swords to combat the foe.  Blood, guts, mayhem, and much merriment ensue! 

Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James, 2011 . Back in a more traditional setting (no zombies) we return to the cast of Pride and Prejudice and to their familiar haunts, but James takes us beyond the years covered by Austen, plus unveils a dastardly murder mystery. Enjoy the whodunnit while taking in fascinating details of how life unfolded for Austen's cast of characters after the happily-ever-after of the original book. 

Upcoming meetings:

Sunday 1 January -- enjoy a New Year's gathering for casual discussion of books and the Regency era! Catch up a little on our reading... did you read or revisit Pride and Prejudice recently? Started reading the spinoffs? 

Sunday 5 February -- discuss Regency era life and literature in general, and Pride and Prejudice in particular.  Knowing the original will help us appreciate the spinoffs.

In February's meeting we launch a fun game: Regency Personals! It's a writing game. Write a short blurb of a few lines, in the style you think one of our favorite Regency characters might use in a dating profile. How would Elizabeth Bennet or Mr Darcy describe themselves on OK Cupid? What would Captain Jack Aubrey or Diana Villiers put themselves out there on Tinder? Or maybe you'll come up with a Chance Encounters listing? Bring your short writings in to share at the 5 February meeting of Foray...in time for St. Valentine's Day!

Sunday 5 March -- our big Quarterly Meeting, when we'll discuss the three spinoffs listed above, plus we'll decide what to read together next. Don't miss it! 

All are welcome to lounge in our reading room and borrow from its shelves. That's also where we hold our meetings. You'll find it here -> http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Antiquity%20Argyle/69/95/31

Please freely share our meeting plans with friends and groups. All are welcome! Attire, casual. Regency attire welcome but OOC is fine, so long as you're decent. 

updated by @merry-chase: 17 Jan 2017 11:20:16AM
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Since last time I've migrated computers so I can't add a very detailed account of the January 1 meeting. It was a very small meeting, and we talked about characters in depth, and made some comparisons between plots in Pride and Prejudice vs Master and Commander

The big news is, we came up with a great new game! 

Next meeting we launch it: Regency Personals! It's a writing game. Write a short blurb of a few lines, in the style you think one of our favorite Regency characters might use in a dating profile. How would Elizabeth Bennet or Mr Darcy describe themselves on OK Cupid? How would Captain Jack Aubrey or Diana Villiers put themselves out there on Tinder? Or maybe you'll come up with a Chance Encounters listing? Bring your short writings in to share at the 5 February meeting of Foray...in time for St. Valentine's Day!

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Today's meeting, the 5th monthly meeting of Foray, featured a game of Regency Romance Personals. You can read all about it, and play it yourself,  here.  

Also, we talked a little about the characters and books we drew on for the game. 

At our March 5 meeting we'll talk about three spinoffs from Pride & Prejudice...

For Discussion Next:  

Longbourn  by Jo Baker, 2013.  A look at Pride and Prejudice's world from the point of view of "downstairs." The servants to the Bennet, Bingley. and Darcy families are seen to have lives -- and story lines! -- of their own, as authentic and perhaps even more moving than those of their employers. While providing us with these new characters, Baker also sheds new light on the motivations of Austen's beloved ensemble. 

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies  by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith, 2009.  In this parody, the familiar story unfolds with a twist. Zombies are terrorizing dear England, and accomplished young ladies like Miss Elizabeth Bennet must wield their swords to combat the foe.  Blood, guts, mayhem, and much merriment ensue! 

Death Comes to Pemberley  by P. D. James, 2011 . Back in a more traditional setting (no zombies) we return to the cast of Pride and Prejudice and to their familiar haunts, but James takes us beyond the years covered by Austen, plus unveils a dastardly murder mystery. Enjoy the whodunnit while taking in fascinating details of how life unfolded for Austen's cast of characters after the happily-ever-after of the original book. 

I hope to see you at our reading room in Port Austen, Antiquity. We'll meet at 10am on Sunday 5 March. 

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Oh my gosh! The 1st Sunday in April is coming up fast. 

I actually missed the scheduled March meeting. My apologies to anyone who went and found nothing happening. I was awfully bogged down in RL. 

Indeed, I got so bogged down, I was thinking I might have to just pack it up. But I'm going to give it another go. If there's enough interest in Foray, we'll keep it going. 

So the April meeting is going to be mostly for purpose of Restart, but we can also talk about those wonderful spinoffs we were going to discuss in March, plus any other Regency-related reading you'd like to discuss. 

Please come, this Sunday the 2nd of April, at 10am SLT. I hope to see you there!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,894 posts

Thanks for the update, Merry!  I was sorry because I missed the meeting in March so I'm glad to have another crack at it.  With any luck I'll be there this Sunday to talk about the spinoffs.

Hope your RL settles down a bit and allows you more SL time.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,894 posts

Many thanks to Merry and all the members of Foray who attended the April 2nd meeting.  It was a great discussion and left me with many points to ponder :)

--
7 years ago
359 posts

Sunday mornings have been ghastly for me this winter. I keep hoping that will change so that I can share - quite a few of my favourite books have been named above, and I love the Personals.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Tia I do hope you can make it. I wish Time were just a little more bendy. I'm putting in a request to Albert Einstein, for some minor revisions to the physics.

Tatiana, so glad you could be there. The meeting zipped by for me, with three books to discuss and such a lot of ideas cropping up about them all! 

Meeting notes to follow soon. 

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Oh my goodness, I forgot I hadn't posted this already! 

Here are the notes from our April meeting. 

We discussed three spin-offs of Pride and Prejudice, all written in recent years, in various genres and from various points of view. 

Here's the chat that ensued...

[10:05] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So at last we're here to talk about those P&P spinoffs. Three very different books, and I enjoyed them all so much.

[10:06] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: Isn't it wonderful how these books can extend our Austen pleasure in so many different directions

[10:06] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I've got synopses from Good Reads if anyone wants to have those. The books are P&P& Zombies, Longbourne, and Death Comes to Pemberley.

[10:06] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, it is wonderful. Fun and enlightening.

[10:07] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: we get to revisit old friends and I'm always looking for new insights into their characters

[10:07] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes!

[10:07] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And to me, Longbourne was especially enlightening since it gave us a look at the "downstairs," servants' side of life.

[10:08] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: definitely

[10:08] Kghia Gherardi: I'm in the midst of Longbourn at the moment. :)

[10:09] Kghia Gherardi: Jo Baker, the author, is sometimes a bit too vivid when describing the servants' work.

[10:09] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Ah, okay, I'll try not to drop any spoilers.

[10:09] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: gives a lot of perspective - one minute you're thinking the upstairs life is pretty difficult and then you see what's happening downstairs

[10:09] Merry Chase (merrytricks): It does get a bit visceral. Her descriptions of smells? She doesn't hold back.

[10:09] Kghia Gherardi: Spoilers are not a problem. I'm enjoying the writing (and picking up new terms).

[10:09] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Hahaha.

[10:09] Kghia Gherardi: And greasy wash water!

[10:10] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yeah, Austen wrote of the family's life as if it was so difficult but their concerns look petty in comparison with the life of a common house servant.

[10:10] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: oh yes - the continual washing

[10:10] Merry Chase (merrytricks): The constant flayed skin from washing and being out in the cold air.

[10:10] Kghia Gherardi: I knew the family was not especially well-to-do, but the book made it much more apparent.

[10:11] Kghia Gherardi: The amount of work the servants had to do! Interspersed with soothing egos.

[10:12] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh yes and if the family are deciding whether or not to travel, or keep a footman, all their decisions have so much bearing on the lives of the servants who have no say in the matter.

[10:12] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: true

[10:12] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And then too, before I read the book I was afraid it would be unremitting toil and drudgery.

[10:12] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: and just consider that this was a fairly "kind hearted" family

[10:13] Merry Chase (merrytricks): But there's adventure and romance and mystery.

[10:13] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I was immediately drawn into the storyline. I wondered about whether I had seen any indication in P&P that Mr. Bennett would have been dallying outside his marriage, but ... in the times, it was not uncommon.

[10:13] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, a family that treated their servants "well."

[10:14] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): The family treated their servants well, yet such hardships they had!

[10:14] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, Austen didn't show us any outright adultery that I recall but that doesn't mean it didn't exist, for sure.

[10:15] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Or gay sex.

[10:15] Kghia Gherardi: definitely a modern writer addressing the story

[10:15] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh yes, the hardships just went along with the life of a servant or any poor working person.

[10:15] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And they were lucky to be working.

[10:15] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yeah, a modern writer can show us those sides of life that Austen couldn't.

[10:16] Kghia Gherardi: I was expecting something more Downton Abbey when I started the book, but I didn't factor in the difference in eras!

[10:16] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I wondered if Longbourne's main character's independent streak wasn't a little too modern in a female servant.

[10:17] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: I wonder if a modern writer feels obliged/pressured to show those sides - to attract more of an audience perhaps

[10:17] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Hm, if so I don't think it's a bad thing, personally.

[10:18] Merry Chase (merrytricks): For me, part of the interest of revisiting the characters and plot, is to see things from a modern perspective that would have been hidden from the original writer's point of view.

[10:18] Kghia Gherardi: Baker contrasted the economic status between the Bennets and the Bingleys well, even at the servant level. When the maid delivers a message to the Bingley household, the additional number of servants and the organization of it all.

[10:18] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: I agree - it's probably more true to life and modern audiences perhaps miss the more subtle indications

[10:19] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Since we're on Longbourn to begin with, just in case anyone hasn't read any of it yet, here's the synopsis from Good Reads.

[10:19] Merry Chase (merrytricks): If Elizabeth Bennet had the washing of her own petticoats, Sarah often thought, she’d most likely be a sight more careful with them.

In this irresistibly imagined belowstairs answer to Pride and Prejudice, the servants take center stage. Sarah, the orphaned housemaid, spends her days scrubbing the laundry, polishing the floors, and emptying the chamber pots for the Bennet household. But there is just as much romance, heartbreak, and intrigue downstairs at Longbourn as there is upstairs. When a mysterious new footman arrives, the orderly realm of the servants’ hall threatens to be completely, perhaps irrevocably, upended.

Jo Baker dares to take us beyond the drawing rooms of Jane Austen’s classic—into the often overlooked domain of the stern housekeeper and the starry-eyed kitchen maid, into the gritty daily particulars faced by the lower classes in Regency England during the Napoleonic Wars—and, in doing so, creates a vivid, fascinating, fully realized world that is wholly her own.

[10:20] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, the contrast in the downstairs staff, between a poor genteel house and a wealthy house, that was interesting. And the way the servants take their class from their masters, right?

[10:20] Kghia Gherardi nods. Exactly.

[10:20] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I had no trouble getting into the downstairs story, and found it fascinating - I read the whole thing almost in one night! But I did have qualms when dialog was attributed to Jane and especially Elizabeth. It sounded modern, unlike the tone Austen used. Anyone else have that problem?

[10:20] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: very

[10:21] Merry Chase (merrytricks): A maid from a wealthy house could practically lord it over a maid from a humble cottage.

[10:21] Kghia Gherardi: I didn't notice that, Anabel. But I can see how it could be a bit distracting to a reader.

[10:22] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I have to say I wasn't expecting to like this book, and i did very much. I always worry that a "spinoff" will not live up a classic.

[10:22] Kghia Gherardi: When I read PPZ, I had more problems with the re-purposing of Ausen's language.

[10:22] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yeah, I did sometimes feel a little like going back to the original to compare.

[10:23] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Right, so, PPZ, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies -- a much more fanciful take on the story.

[10:23] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: definitely

[10:23] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So here's that synopsis from Good Reads.

[10:23] Merry Chase (merrytricks): “It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.”

So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton—and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she’s soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers—and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you’d actually want to read.

zXX

[10:23] Kghia Gherardi: I read it years ago, so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy.

[10:23] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: I was so ready for the Bennett girls to take charge of their lives

[10:23] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: by killing the undead

[10:23] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: lol

[10:24] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I find that last line of the synopsis unfair since of course we're the kind of people who actually want to read a masterpiece of world literature but it is a lot of fun to take it full-on into fantasy.

[10:24] Kghia Gherardi: Yes, Tatiana! No more waiting on men!

[10:24] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yeah, it answers the question, what would the Bennett girls be like if they were empowered?

[10:25] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: yes - which I find most satisfying

[10:25] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: apparently I have a lot of pent up frustration for their situations

[10:25] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Also it answered for me a question that in spite of the answers Austen herself gave, always nagged at me. How could Charlotte marry that awful Rev. Collins???!?!?!??!

[10:26] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Ah yes, Tatiana. Me too - what could a woman with Elizabeth's brain do if society allowed her to take charge!

[10:26] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I laughed aloud, long and hard, when I read the Zombies explanation of Charlotte's motivation.

[10:26] Kghia Gherardi: I also read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by the same author. I found PPZ more satisfying. I think because the women were so much more active in their own lives.

[10:27] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yeah, Abe Lincoln didn't really need fictionalizing to become active and influential.

[10:27] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: I did find it unfortunate that Charlotte became one of the undead

[10:27] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: though it was amusing how they ignored her faults even as they got worse

[10:28] Merry Chase (merrytricks): It was so practical and mercenary of her, right in character really, to go ahead and marry knowing secretly she was a zombie.

[10:29] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And yes, people overlooking it. Polite of them really, right?

[10:29] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: true

[10:29] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Oh - now I have to read PPZ to find out about Charlotte! I was never satisfied about the character of Charlotte that she seemed an intelligent friend for Jane, but she ended up a plot device and we don't see her, other than a brief mentions, after her marriage.

[10:29] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: the interesting part was that they apparently didn't kill indiscriminately

[10:30] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: a friend was a friend

[10:30] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oops, sorry about the spoiler Anabel but yes, do read it. It's a hoot.

[10:30] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): No worries - you got me to put it on my reading list :)

[10:30] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Tatiana, I don't recall, they didn't kill indiscriminately....?

[10:30] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh good Anabel.

[10:30] Kghia Gherardi: Wasn't there some snobbery attached to the way the girls trained to fight zombies?

[10:31] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: I meant that they killed every zombie in sight except Charlotte

[10:31] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh yes, it does seem like there was. Elitism?

[10:31] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Ah right, yes.

[10:31] Kghia Gherardi: A way of setting the Bennets off as less prosperous than their peers.

[10:31] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): *intelligent friend for Elizabeth, I meant to say earlier.

[10:31] Kghia Gherardi: (why that sticks in my memory, I have no idea)

[10:31] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Which to me is realistic. As much as they want to eradicate zombies it's hard to slay a dear friend.

[10:32] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And yet the Bennett girls were much admired as fighters.

[10:32] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: yes, I was wondering if there was some unwritten code

[10:33] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And then we have Death Comes to Pemberley, the only one of the three that's a sequel, and it's a murder mystery.

[10:33] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Here's the Good Reads Synopsis

[10:33] Merry Chase (merrytricks): It is 1803, six years since Elizabeth and Darcy embarked on their life together at Pemberley, Darcy’s magnificent estate. Their peaceful, orderly world seems almost unassailable. Elizabeth has found her footing as the chatelaine of the great house. They have two fine sons, Fitzwilliam and Charles. Elizabeth’s sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live nearby; her father visits often; there is optimistic talk about the prospects of marriage for Darcy’s sister Georgiana. And preparations are under way for their much-anticipated annual autumn ball.

Then, on the eve of the ball, the patrician idyll is shattered. A coach careens up the drive carrying Lydia, Elizabeth’s disgraced sister, who with her husband, the very dubious Wickham, has been banned from Pemberley. She stumbles out of the carriage, hysterical, shrieking that Wickham has been murdered. With shocking suddenness, Pemberley is plunged into a frightening mystery.

Inspired by a lifelong passion for Austen, P.D. James masterfully re-creates the world of Pride and Prejudice, electrifying it with the excitement and suspense of a brilliantly crafted crime story, as only she can write it.

[10:34] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So we're back in reality, and back among the genteel class, but 6 years later, and in a murder mystery.

[10:34] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I found Death less well written than Longbourn or Zombies but still a pleasure to revisit the characters and see how their lives might have progressed.

[10:35] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I pre-orded Death Comes to Pemberley when it came out, because I enjoyed P.D. James and P&P. So my memory may be hazy on detail. I remembered being a bit disappointed with the dialog - wonder if James "dumbed it down" for modern readers.

[10:35] Kghia Gherardi: This work is on my TBR list, but sadly I'm not familiar enough with it to comment.

[10:35] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: I was a bit disappointed with it myself but perhaps it was because my expectations were higher for it

[10:36] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I felt towards the end there was a heavy amount of explanatory text, written as chunks of exposition instead of revealed through action or dialog. And it seemed to me to repeat itself a bit.

[10:36] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): It didn't help me that I thought Lydia was just grabbing attention - it took me a while to get into the "mystery" part :)

[10:37] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: ahhhh Lydia

[10:37] Merry Chase (merrytricks): In the course of reading it I did become better able to distinguish Lydia and Kitty! Always a problem for me.

[10:37] Kghia Gherardi: for me as well

[10:37] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Hahaha. I could tell Lydia, but Kitty was a stick figure to me.

[10:37] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So what Kitty might have been and become, out from under Lydia's influence, is a fun thing to play with.

[10:38] Kghia Gherardi: Did the characters eventually live up to your expectations or did they disappoint?

[10:38] Merry Chase (merrytricks): You know, I think in this case the movie did more for me, as far as character appreciation.

[10:39] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Not to criticize - P&P had a plethera of good material, and I wouldn't expect that Austen would give every character a full expansion in one book.

[10:39] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Films have been made of Death and of Zombies, but I've not seen the latter.

[10:39] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yeah, some characters had to be minor, had to fulfill plot devices.

[10:39] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: Zombies is actually pretty well done as a film

[10:39] Kghia Gherardi: adding both to my TBW list

[10:40] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: to answer Kghia - I thought the characters were good but I had expected great

[10:41] Merry Chase (merrytricks) nods

[10:41] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: it was lovely though to peek in on them and see how life was treating them

[10:41] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: and Lydia - true to form - continued to make me crazy

[10:41] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes!

[10:41] Hettange (hettange.ferryhill) is online.

[10:41] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Haha, yes

[10:41] Kghia Gherardi: I suspect that is the challenge with taking on an existing novel. Will you meet the reader's expectations? Or surpass them?

[10:42] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And Wickham continued to annoy as well.

[10:42] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: yes - in modern times I have both Wickham and Lydia on mute

[10:42] Merry Chase (merrytricks): In a way I think taking it into another genre, a fantasy or a murder mystery, makes it easier.

[10:42] Merry Chase (merrytricks): For the writer that is.

[10:42] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: that's a good point

[10:42] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Gosh darn, couldn't they just send them both to India? Wickham would have a whole another way of life to exploit and leave our favorites alone! Hehe

[10:43] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh there's a neat idea for another spinoff. Lydia and Wickham redeeming themselves as they face the challenges of a different life far from home.

[10:43] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: could work

[10:44] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I agree, Merry, trying to make a sequel of a beloved classic is a tremendous task, and one likely to disappoint some readers.

[10:44] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: instead of being enablers they could aspire to something more

[10:44] Kghia Gherardi: It would be against their natures to change. I think they like who they are.

[10:44] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, they would have to be subjected to great pressures.

[10:44] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): That would be interesting. I am used to thinking of them as users though.

[10:45] Kghia Gherardi: and we'd probably always be suspicious of *why* they changed

[10:45] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): In a new environment, I think they would find a new way to use. But I admire your optimism for them, Merry!

[10:46] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Ah, well, I guess I've always believed in redemption though I've rarely witnessed it.

[10:46] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: I could imagine Lydia changing just because she grew up and had more experience of life

[10:46] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yeah, I guess for both of them, maturity would be the redeeming quality.

[10:46] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And adversity would be the maturing influence.

[10:47] Kghia Gherardi nods

[10:47] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): That might get to the crux of sequels and re-imaginings - readers feel they "know" the characters and resist attempts to see them molded in another scenario.

[10:47] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Anyhow, that's in a theoretical and unwritten novel.

[10:47] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Right!

[10:47] Merry Chase (merrytricks): There's that resistance in readers and yet also eagerness to go along with seeing their favorite characters develop in new situations.

[10:48] Kghia Gherardi: that is why too many series go on too long

[10:48] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): ((I was very resistant to the Laurie King Sherlock series - but it won me over eventually))

[10:49] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Sometimes even the original writer can lose us. Anne becomes less compelling when she grows up and leaves Green Gables.

[10:50] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So, as a sequel, are there ways Death Comes to Pemberley works well?

[10:50] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: she does - her magic was in her childhood

[10:50] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, agree about Anne's magic.

[10:50] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Or ways Death works poorly?

[10:51] Merry Chase (merrytricks): As a sequel or as a murder mystery?

[10:52] Merry Chase (merrytricks): In Death, it was necessary to bring in some new characters, who we learn have always lived on the Pemberley estate. I rather liked them.

[10:52] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I told myself I should reread "Death" pretending I hadn't read P&P and see if it worked better. But even as a murder mystery - as you mentioned Merry - it was sloppy at the end.

[10:52] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, the tying up of loose ends.

[10:52] Merry Chase (merrytricks): It went on a bit long.

[10:53] Kghia Gherardi: Where you a PD James fan going into the book?

[10:53] Merry Chase (merrytricks): No, I will have to try something else by PD James.

[10:53] Merry Chase (merrytricks): What would you recommend?

[10:54] Kghia Gherardi: I'm not a PD James reader either.

[10:54] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Oh yes, I quite enjoyed PD James' books. I pre-ordered this one - thinking it would be a great synthesis of her meticulous mystery plots and a continuation of the P&P mileau.

[10:54] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: me either - that's interesting

[10:54] Kghia Gherardi: I get the feeling Death isn't the novel to start with.

[10:54] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Ah okay

[10:54] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Anabel, is there one you can suggest for us to start with?

[10:55] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Gosh, so many. "An Unsuitable Job for a Woman" perhaps.

[10:55] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Okay, I'll try that. Its title intrigues.

[10:55] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Although she is perhaps more famous for her Adam Dalgliesh series.

[10:56] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: I'll add it to my list as well

[10:56] Kghia Gherardi adds to her TBR list and considers today's discussion a success.

[10:56] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I think the first I read was A Taste for Death. I went back to the used bookstore and bought the rest.

[10:56] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh, good enough to own!

[10:57] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, it's great to have some additions to our lists, as well as this chance to compare notes on what we've already read.

[10:57] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I like procedurals and cozie, and James is a good mix - she was a judge most of her life.

[10:58] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): *cozies

[10:58] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So what would you all say to picking a book to discuss next, and talking about it at our next meeting? I'm thinking we don't really need three months between selections.

[10:58] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Sounds good to me.

[10:58] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: me too

[10:59] Kghia Gherardi agrees

[10:59] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Okay! Our next meeting is Sunday, May 7.

[10:59] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Hello Hanny!

[10:59] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Welcome!

[10:59] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Greetings!

[10:59] Kghia Gherardi: Hello, Hanny

[10:59] Merry Chase (merrytricks): We're just about to discuss what we'd like to read for our next meeting.

[11:00] Merry Chase (merrytricks): We've focused on Austen and Austen spinoffs thus far.

[11:00] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Shall we venture into some Aubrey-Maturin next?

[11:00] hanny (hannyhyacinth): Hi. I didn't receive the meeting notice until a few minutes ago. Sorry for being late.

[11:00] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Quite alright, glad you made it.

[11:00] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I'd be happy to rad Aubrey-Martin next - in fact I just started re-reading the OBrien series.

[11:01] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I should probably start sending notices two or three days in advance instead of 10 hours in advance.

[11:01] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): ((pardon my typos today!))

[11:01] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh good Anabel.

[11:01] Merry Chase (merrytricks): All tupoes forgiben.

[11:01] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): heheh

[11:01] Merry Chase (merrytricks): ㋡

[11:01] hanny (hannyhyacinth): Is there a reason why this meeting is held only once a month?

[11:02] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I can't commit to any more than that. Even a once a month commitment is difficult for me.

[11:02] Merry Chase (merrytricks): But if members wanted to host on additional dates that would be great.

[11:02] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I have heard a number of reviewers say "Post Captain" is the best and most typical of the series. However I don't think it stands on its own as well as some others.

[11:02] Kghia Gherardi: Once a month is plenty for me. It allows me to mix some Regency in with my other reading

[11:03] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I feel like starting at the beginning is good even if we don't all read the entire 21-novel series together.

[11:03] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct) agrees with Merry on that one.

[11:03] Kghia Gherardi: So, Master & Commander?

[11:03] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So okay, with Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin series, we stay rooted in realism and close-around to the Regency.

[11:03] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, let's read Master & Commander for next month.

[11:04] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: sounds like a plan

[11:04] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Then anyone who wants to can continue the series on their own, and I'd always be happy to talk about any or all of them, but we'll just do the one as a group at least for now.

[11:04] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Also there are so many other things awaiting us.

[11:04] Jacon Cortes de Bexar (jacon.cortes): i hope soon...to invite you to meet at the Pump Room...in Antiquity Bath

[11:04] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Books written in the Regency era about other eras, books written in other eras about the Regency era...

[11:04] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Thank you Jacon.

[11:05] Kghia Gherardi: Merry, will you send out a notice regarding the next book? Maybe a time or two over the next month?

[11:05] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, I will do that Kghia.

[11:05] Kghia Gherardi: The reminder is very helpful!

[11:05] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I like having a regular event take place here in Port Austen, but you all should know that this is a part of the multi-sim estate of Antiquity, of which Jacon is the leader, and the RP of Antiquity is set in the Regency era!

[11:06] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Just a thought on M&C - there are few scenes on land and in "polite" company, so there is a lot "military male" conversations and sea terms - I enjoyed it immensely, and it gives a balance to the intricacies of Austen's work.

[11:06] Merry Chase (merrytricks): There are now many stunning Regency builds on the estate so please do explore and enjoy them and if you like historic roleplay definitely join in.

[11:06] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): This is a lovely place, Jacon.

[11:06] Jacon Cortes de Bexar (jacon.cortes): thank you

[11:06] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Right Anabel, about the more masculine focus of M&C.

[11:07] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: If it helps - Merry has the meetings posting on http://livinghistoryvw.com/ and it will send you a reminder the day before if you indicate you are attending

[11:07] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I guess I just wanted to say, don't go into the book and expect tea and crumpets!

[11:07] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Over the course of the books O'Brian does an amazing job of balancing adventure at sea with drawing rooms and other fraught battlefields on land.

[11:07] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): True, Merry.

[11:07] Merry Chase (merrytricks): But the first book does have more of the at-sea focus than some later ones.

[11:08] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Although it begins as an altercation of sorts in a polite and refined concert setting!

[11:08] Jacon Cortes de Bexar (jacon.cortes) stands quietly.....I am sorry...but I must slip out

[11:08] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: Au revoir Jacon

[11:08] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Quite alright, we should be wrapping up.

[11:08] Jacon Cortes de Bexar (jacon.cortes): thank you so much...i have not read much ..but i do enjoy following the conversation

[11:09] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Pleasant journey, Jacon

[11:09] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And maybe we should plan a field trip to the Pump Room and Bath in general!

[11:09] Kghia Gherardi: It has been an interesting discussion today.

[11:09] Jacon Cortes de Bexar (jacon.cortes): Duchess....it is always a pleasure to have you visit

[11:09] lifetriangle is online.

[11:09] Jacon Cortes de Bexar (jacon.cortes): ladies..have a wonderful day

[11:09] Jacon Cortes de Bexar (jacon.cortes): /bows with respect

[11:09] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Thank you your highness!

[11:09] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): When I first went through the series, I skipped a lot of the blow-by-blow accounts of the sailing and battles - too much jargon for me - but as I got towards the end, I found myself able to follow better.

[11:09] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Me too, Anabel!

[11:09] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Thank you, Prince Jacon

[11:09] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: oh - good tip

[11:09] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And in each rereading of the series I make better sense of the ships and the battle strategy.

[11:10] Merry Chase (merrytricks): But it's totally possible to thoroughly enjoy the stories while skimming the more technical bits.

[11:10] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): I'm chattering about this so that people know you don't have to be an expert at 18th century sailing ships to enjoy the books.

[11:10] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): Lol, like Merry said :)

[11:10] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Thank you Anabel, It's an excellent point.

[11:10] Merry Chase (merrytricks): In fact I will mention that in my notices.

[11:11] Kghia Gherardi: I've been put off the series by the ships/battles, so good to know.

[11:11] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Thank you for your kind and generous tip, Kghia! Tips are optional but appreciated ㋡

[11:11] Kghia Gherardi: I'll be off. Thank you for the discussion today.

[11:11] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, stick with it and you'l find the

[11:11] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: Au revoir Kghia

[11:11] Merry Chase (merrytricks): okay, thanks for coming Kghia and I look forward to next time.

[11:12] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: many thanks, ladies - it was a pleasure :)

[11:12] Anabel Constabyl (steampunkconstruct): These are fun discussions. I hate it when I have to miss due to RL.

[11:12] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Stick with Master & Commander and you'll find that the battles and ships are really just a backdrop for the development of amazing characters and a legendary friendship.

[11:12] TatianaDokuchic Varriale: until next time

[11:12] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Let us hope RL is kind to us next time!

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Our next meeting will be on Sunday the 7th of May so grab a copy of Master & Commander, by Patrick O'Brian, right away and you'll have a week and a half to read it. 

I've read it a few times but I'm now listening to the delightful audio version for a nice refresher before our discussion. 

updated by @merry-chase: 27 Apr 2017 03:43:01PM
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Today's meeting turned out not to cover Master & Commander , by Patrick O'Brian, because nobody had read it except for me. So we're going to take on a short story for our June meeting, The Highland Widow by Sir Walter Scott, then split up a novel, the hefty but heavenly  Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray over three months for summer reading and discussion, and then in September we will read a thematically appropriate novel for discussion in October: Frankenstein

So the schedule is...

For discussion Sunday June 4: The Highland Widow , a short story by Sir Walter Scott

For discussion Sunday July 2: section 1 of 3, Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

For discussion Sunday August 6: section 2 of 3,  Vanity Fair  by William Makepeace Thackeray

For discussion Sunday September 3: section 3 of 3,  Vanity Fair  by William Makepeace Thackeray

For discussion Sunday October 1: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

To whet your taste for the Widow , here's a review of the collection it's in, Canongate short stories, from Good Reads: "This is an amazing book! It's mid 18th century so the pace is slower but the content more than makes up for it! This is a book about culture clash, and those stuck in the middle. (Something I am very interested in) I would especialy recommend the short story 'The Highland Widow', and 'The Two Drovers'. Little gems of story."

Vanity Fair has been called by the Telegraph, "The greatest novel of Waterloo." As the Napoleonic Wars gave us War and Peace from Russia, from England they gave us Vanity Faire. 

And I'm sure Frankenstein needs no further recommendation than its title and reputation! So read on, and join us at Foray to talk about what we're reading. 

A transcript of today's meeting follows...

Foray 2017 05 07 Meeting Notes

[10:02] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): ive always loved regency times

[10:02] Merry Chase (merrytricks): This is really meant to be a home away from home for anyone who loves books and history.

[10:02] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): oui

[10:02] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): regency times were very good times in england

[10:03] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, in some ways very good, despite the Prince Regent's profligate spending!

[10:03] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): hhahaha yes

[10:03] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And great times for literature.

[10:03] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): my favorite times most be the

[10:04] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Antiquity's roleplay is set in the Regency era so there's a lot to see and do in the surrounding sims, that relates to Regency.

[10:05] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): tudors, the stewarts, the georgian, the victorian, and i also like a bit of ancient egipt and 11 century japan

[10:05] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Ah, that's a nice wide range of years and miles.

[10:05] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): in fact yes

[10:05] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Have you read Master & Commander?

[10:06] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): not really but i couldnt just not come to such a delightful regency event has this will be

[10:07] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): i will try to hear evry opinions

[10:07] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): and try to understand the story

[10:07] Merry Chase (merrytricks): How kind of you to say so!

[10:08] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): it is only the truth^^

[10:08] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I hope it will be delightful...and I hope some more people will show up.

[10:08] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): indeed

[10:08] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): but with such vast comunity of people that sorrentina already has im sure some people will appear

[10:08] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Meanwhile, I can tell you more about Foray.

[10:09] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): and i will be mostly interested to hear what you have to say

[10:09] Merry Chase (merrytricks): The Antiquity Austen and Aubrey Association or "Foray" is a literary society devoted to discussing books written in OR about the Regency era.

[10:10] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So we have read and discussed Pride and Prejudice by Austen, but also some recently-penned spinoffs like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

[10:10] Merry Chase (merrytricks): We might someday read Ivanhoe because though it's set in medieval times it was penned during the Regency era.

[10:10] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): i surely know the first one and weirdly the name of the second one with zombies isnt completly foraign to my hears

[10:10] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And then Master & Commander was written in teh 20th century but about the 19th century.

[10:11] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh yes, there have been some wonderful and strange spinoffs.

[10:11] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Another one I really loved is Longborn. That's about the Pride and Prejudice story but from the servants' point of view, and telling their own completely separate stories of love and adventure.

[10:12] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): that most be so interesting

[10:12] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): ill try to search for it today

[10:12] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, really well done. Good plot and characters, intertwined with those of P&P but with separate and very believable lives.

[10:12] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh good. I do recommend it.

[10:12] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Hi Kghia!

[10:13] Kghia Gherardi: sorry I'm late

[10:13] Merry Chase (merrytricks): That's okay!

[10:13] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Since Francisca is new to Foray I was bringing her up to date a little.

[10:14] Kghia Gherardi: Welcome, Francisca

[10:14] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): this name is only temporarily i had a time last week when i was interested in being louis 14 child but now im going to change my name im just thinking in what character i should be

[10:14] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So, we discussed P&P, and also those spinoffs, Longborn, P&P&Zombies, and Death Comes to Pemberley which is a murder mystery set a little later than P&P but with the same characters.

[10:14] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Ah, decisions, decisions.

[10:14] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I've only once RP'd an actual historic character and found it fascinating but difficult.

[10:15] Kghia Gherardi: I'm not much at RP'ing at all.

[10:16] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I was Charlotte, Duchess of Richmond, at the famous Duchess of Richmond's Ball, where the soldiers were called away from teh dance to go fight the battle of Waterloo.

[10:16] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): i was thinking in being georgiana cavendish

[10:16] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh, she's wonderful. I do know of someone in SL who was her, though I have not seen her in quite some time.

[10:17] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So Kghia, did you read Master & Commander?

[10:17] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): but im not sure since she is such a great historic figure and it might give me a lot of pressure

[10:17] Kghia Gherardi hangs her head in shame

[10:17] Kghia Gherardi: I got as far as checking it out from the library

[10:17] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): oh hahaha im glad im not the only one

[10:17] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Now now, it's okay. Not your cup of tea?

[10:18] Kghia Gherardi: I did help my niece on her history paper regarding pirates. :)

[10:18] Kghia Gherardi: War-focused/military storylines are not something I find I enjoy

[10:18] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I feel the same way but I got hooked on the Aubrey-Maturin series because...

[10:19] Merry Chase (merrytricks): not only is much of the story land-based, more in the drawing room than on the quarterdeck...

[10:19] Merry Chase (merrytricks): but also...

[10:19] Merry Chase (merrytricks): the seafaring sections are handled so well, with really more about human nature and relationships than about strategy, USUALLY.

[10:19] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Maybe if we read some Aubrey-Maturin it ought to be Post Captin.

[10:19] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Captain*

[10:20] Merry Chase (merrytricks): That one begins with the men ashore and meeting the leading ladies.

[10:20] Kghia Gherardi: That might have more appeal.

[10:21] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And on the other hand maybe we should read another Austen, or some Sir Walter Scott, or something?

[10:21] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Or another modern novel set in the Regency?

[10:22] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): may i suggest something

[10:22] Kghia Gherardi: I wonder about a mystery, though nothing comes to mind immediately.

[10:22] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Certainly!

[10:24] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): perhaps this book will be a bit strong for your feelings but in Portugal in late 18 century during the reign of D.Maria I it existed a writter so good that they said it was the greatest writter after Camões my only procupation is that the books from Bocage are a bit furty in terms of naughtyness

[10:24] Merry Chase (merrytricks): We could try Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell

[10:24] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh, I would love to expand into other countries.

[10:24] Merry Chase (merrytricks): What is the book?

[10:24] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): good to know ^^

[10:24] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): i dont really remember the name but i think it was really good

[10:24] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): just give me a minute to search for it

[10:25] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Now that you've piqued my curiosity yes, please find it!

[10:25] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): hahaha ok

[10:25] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I'm meanwhile trying to remember the name of a time travel novel I read that took its main character into a magical and mysterious Regency adventure. It was quite good.

[10:25] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Of course the trouble is when searching one runs into so many results that are "Regency Romance" pulp nonsense.

[10:26] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Bodice rippers.

[10:27] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Okay, we have the author. Manuel Maria Barbosa du Bocage is who Francisca sent me a link to.

[10:27] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): yes

[10:28] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Now if the book is available in English and if we can find the title!

[10:28] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Another thought would be to read one of the novels Austen's heroines enjoyed.

[10:30] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Aha, "The Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers was an intriguing read.

[10:30] Kghia Gherardi: That title comes up regularly

[10:31] Kghia Gherardi: Another suggestion - some of Scott's short stories (which I didn't realize he wrote until just now)

[10:31] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh that would be fun!

[10:31] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Ivanhoe is a bit hefty and thick.

[10:31] Kghia Gherardi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronicles_of_the_Canongate

[10:32] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Also, Tatiana, one of our members who couldn't be here today, has suggested in the forums that we might read an article and discuss teh books we like in general, in relation to the ideas in this article. http://themuse.jezebel.com/why-big-little-lies-is-a-jane-austen-fans-modern-day-dr-1793988289?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=The_Muse_facebook

[10:32] Kghia Gherardi: Scott is usually hefty. If we read one of his novels, I'd suggest breaking it into parts.

[10:33] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): im already intrigued

[10:33] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Why don't we try the short stories, and even then, just choose one at a time and intersperse them with other selections other months.

[10:33] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): did he wrote about poetry, love, comedy?

[10:33] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Well, his most famous novel, Ivanhoe, was a tragic romance set in medieval times.

[10:34] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): it must be beautiful

[10:34] Merry Chase (merrytricks): A white man falls in love with a Jewess so they're in a bit of a pickle.

[10:34] Kghia Gherardi: There is also Waverly, which seems to address Scotland a bit more.

[10:34] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): oh

[10:34] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): i remembered something

[10:35] Merry Chase (merrytricks): YeS?

[10:35] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh yes, Waverly I have heard of.

[10:36] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): miss Merry a while ago you miss were speaking of your past rp character and the battle of waterloo it exists a movie called vanity affair and it is a bit about that

[10:36] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): *was speaking

[10:36] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): the battle of waterloo

[10:36] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): im not sure if you ladies seen it but if you want to it exists on netflix

[10:36] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Vanity Affair? I know of Vanity Fair.

[10:37] Merry Chase (merrytricks): That is a fun novel and movie.

[10:37] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): oui

[10:37] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I would love to read that for Foray.

[10:38] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): i didnt know it existed a novel about it but im sure it will be better then the film like that we can picture the things happen in our mind whike we read the book

[10:38] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): such as any other

[10:38] Kghia Gherardi: Vanity Fair is more Victorian, isn't it?

[10:38] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, a very famous novel by William Makepeace Thackeray.

[10:38] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): it is regency

[10:39] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Waterloo is certainly Regency, I wonder if maybe it's just that Thackeray was writing a little later?

[10:39] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I'll check the date.

[10:39] Kghia Gherardi: There is always Frankenstein

[10:39] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): yes hahaha

[10:39] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh yes, written later.

[10:39] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, Frankenstein, is it set in Regency era?

[10:39] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): im not sure

[10:40] Kghia Gherardi: it was written in 1818

[10:40] Kghia Gherardi: a few years after Emma

[10:40] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): so it is regency for sure

[10:40] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Here's an article in The Telegraph calling Vanity Fair the best novel of Waterloo. It says the Napoleonic Wars gave Russia War and Peace, and gave England Vanity Fair, both great novels written after teh fact. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/why-vanity-fair-is-the-greatest-novel-about-waterloo/

[10:40] Kghia Gherardi: more in the Romantic tradition

[10:40] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Frankenstein would be wonderful.

[10:41] Kghia Gherardi: BTW, Vanity Fair is huge. It would be the kind of book you could take on as a summer reading project

[10:41] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, that's a good idea.

[10:41] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And Frankenstein we might think of doing as an October selection, for theme.

[10:41] Merry Chase (merrytricks): These are all great selections.

[10:42] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): yes because of halloween

[10:42] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I'm wondering if we ought to tackle the short story to give more people a chance at reading something brief... I like the sound of The Highland Widow by Scott because it's definitely female-driven and that would contribute to discussion relating to the Jezebel article.

[10:43] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And there's such a fashion lately for Highland stories. The Outlander and all.

[10:43] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): oh yes outlander is a great tv show

[10:43] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): i only saw like three episodes but i loved it

[10:43] Kghia Gherardi: I find people are more willing to engage in short story discussions (sometimes they read the story in the hours before the discussion).

[10:43] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, that makes sense.

[10:44] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I got hooked on Outlander and read all the novels and watched all the TV show.

[10:44] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): they can have a more fresh idea of what the story is about liek that

[10:44] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): *like that

[10:44] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, that makes sense.

[10:45] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So now to choose a short story for this month, and then next month we'll be into summer reading time and could do Vanity Fair.

[10:45] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And then Frankenstein!

[10:45] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): ^^

[10:45] Kghia Gherardi: I haven't looked at VF since I was in college.

[10:46] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I've reread it since then, but not in years, so I'll enjoy that, plus watching movie adaptations.

[10:46] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): i loved the movie

[10:46] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, the one on Netflix lately? It was very good.

[10:46] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): indeed

[10:47] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): but if youre interested in movie adaptation les miserables will be the best choice

[10:47] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So, we have Sir Walter Scott's short stories to choose from, and any others?

[10:48] Kghia Gherardi: Nothing that comes to mind.

[10:48] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Okay, and Scott was a famous and influential author in the Regency itself, whom some of our heroines and heros may have read.

[10:49] Kghia Gherardi: Here is an interesting list of novels regency women may have read: http://www.regencyhistory.net/p/regency-reading-matter-novels.html

[10:50] Kghia Gherardi: and some mysteries with a Regency setting: https://media.bookbub.com/blog/2016/08/15/regency-historical-mysteries/

[10:50] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Here's a review of Canongate short stories from Good Reads: "This is an amazing book! It's mid 18th century so the pace is slower but the content more than makes up for it! This is a book about culture clash, and those stuck in the middle. (Something I am very interested in) I would especialy recommend the short story 'The Highland Widow', and 'The Two Drovers'. Little gems of story."

[10:51] Kghia Gherardi: nice, Merry!

[10:51] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Good find, Kghia!

[10:52] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): it seems amazing

[10:52] Kghia Gherardi: The Highland Widow sounds intriguing.

[10:52] Merry Chase (merrytricks): So I would like to propose we take up recommendations from each of you, and read The Highland Widow for our June meeting, and then Vanity Fair for July August September meetings, and then Frankenstein for October meeting.

[10:52] Kghia Gherardi: Should we plan for that one for June?

[10:52] Kghia Gherardi: lol

[10:52] Schaduw Farspire is online.

[10:52] Kghia Gherardi: jinx

[10:52] Merry Chase (merrytricks): haha

[10:53] Kghia Gherardi: ok, there is a plan. I second it.

[10:54] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Alright, does that sound good to you too, Francisca?

[10:54] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): for sure^^

[10:54] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Great! Good work, ladies.

[10:54] Merry Chase (merrytricks): We now have a plan that takes us all the way through October.

[10:54] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): for me this is already being a book club secion :)

[10:54] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And goodness, so many suggestions for beyond that.

[10:55] Kghia Gherardi grins

[10:55] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I really enjoy getting the recommendations of other avid readers.

[10:55] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): im not n often reader but i love to read

[10:55] Merry Chase (merrytricks): All our conversation and the links we shared will be included in a post on the Living History forums, so we won't forget, if that's okay with you both.

[10:56] Kghia Gherardi: Please do.

[10:56] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): it is ok for me

[10:56] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Here's a link to the forum post where we keep track of Foray doings. http://livinghistoryvw.com/livinghistory/forum/my_posts/10875/foray-literary-society-notes-and-plans

[10:56] Kghia Gherardi: Thank you, Merry

[10:56] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Thank you Kghia and Francisca!

[10:57] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): instead of books i think it is nice to see documentarys too

[10:57] Kghia Gherardi: and some non-fiction, perhaps.

[10:57] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Yes, we did have some non-fiction selections, like, On the Rights of Women. More would be good.

[10:57] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And for future discussions we can read that Jezebel article and reference its ideas.

[10:57] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): i absolutely love an historian she is called Lucy Worsley

[10:58] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): oh sorry you werent speaking about that

[10:58] Kghia Gherardi: Merry, would you like to provide a breakdown of the Vanity Fair discussion for our next meeting? If you have a notecard, I could then circulate it.

[10:58] loopy String is online.

[10:58] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Okay, I will give that a try.

[10:59] Kghia Gherardi: In Caledon, we took a year to read Leaves of Grass, and they format worked pretty well for that work.

[11:00] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Maybe you can tell me how to do a breakdown? Or if you would like to do one yourself...? Hmmm...?

[11:00] Kghia Gherardi: I'm happy to draft a schedule and then let you tweak it, if you'd like.

[11:00] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Thanks, I'd appreciate that!

[11:01] Kghia Gherardi: note made for my to-do list

[11:02] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oooh, Lucy Worsley's works look like fun.

[11:02] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): indeed

[11:02] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): do you know her?

[11:02] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): she does documentarys

[11:02] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): since she is an historian

[11:02] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I just looked her up.

[11:02] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): she made on about the tudors, versailles in 17 century and also one of the regency times

[11:03] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I see she did a BBC series on the Regency, called "Elegance and Decadence."

[11:03] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Maybe one or more of her books is set in the regency era?

[11:03] Merry Chase (merrytricks): oh yes, good!

[11:03] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): :)

[11:04] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): it also exists a very funny cbbc show from 2018 about history it is called horrible histories

[11:04] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): 2013

[11:04] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): i mean 2013

[11:04] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): im not sure if you ladies know

[11:05] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Aha, "Jane Austen at Home: A Biography" 2017 by Lucy Worlsey.

[11:05] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): yes she is amazing

[11:05] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Oh yes, I have seen a couple of horrible histories.

[11:06] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): it is very funny

[11:06] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I have to run to RL now but later today I will post our plans on the Living History forum.

[11:06] Kghia Gherardi: I have a book launch event in a couple of hours, so I'm going to disappear for a bit so i can eat some lunch.

[11:06] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): they teach history in a funny way

[11:06] Kghia Gherardi: Thank you so much, Merry.

[11:06] Kghia Gherardi: I hope to see you next month.

[11:06] Merry Chase (merrytricks): Please do feel free to come here at any time, and use it as your base for exploring Antiquity.

[11:07] Merry Chase (merrytricks): I look forward to it Kghia!

[11:07] Merry Chase (merrytricks): And so glad to welcome you too Francisca!

[11:07] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): for sure

[11:07] Francisca Maria de Bourbon (sophiepotter94): it was a pleasure

[11:07] Merry Chase (merrytricks): My pleasure. ㋡

7 years ago
359 posts

Good heavens - I'VE read Master and Commander! (Several times.) If we manage to be online concurrently at any point this month, Mistress Chase, pray feel free to discuss it with me, as I seem to be missing almost all times for gathering and will continue to do so until employment resumes normal proportions.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Tia, we'll await upon Serendipity's schedule. My online presence too is erratic, as I live an on-call life of 25/8 response to ever-increasingly-frequent crises. But the time will come to rejoin Jack and Stephen on the high seas. I've read the whole series multiple times, too, and will love to discuss it with a fellow devotee. Best of luck on the employment scene! 

updated by @merry-chase: 11 May 2017 11:16:41AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,894 posts

I was determined to finally read Master and Commander and obviously I blew it.  Ah well, perhaps it will still happen at some point thanks to the information I'm getting here.

--
7 years ago
359 posts

The two initial encounters between Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin will delight Austin fans, certainly - the writing of them required both a strong sense of character and a strong sense of the manners of the age.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

It might be easier to get into Post Captain, since it's more drawing room than quarterdeck. And it's in Post Captain that we meet some important female characters. And in Master and Commander there's a larger percentage of rigging and spars and maneuvers which I always found slow: I've never been one for battle scenes and the specific technical seafaring jargon can be an overload. 

But it would be a shame to miss those first two encounters between Jack and Stephen. I agree with Tia; they're a delight. And if you can read lightly through the nautical and martial technicalities --- almost skimming -- and get the gist of the action, that too becomes thrilling, plus you get the premiere episode of an addictive 21-volume unfolding of characters and relationships, fascinating as a period study and more: timeless as a study of human nature. That, any Austen fan will treasure. 

updated by @merry-chase: 22 May 2017 06:51:25AM
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

It's a short story for our next meeting. You'll find it HERE! Just go to that Gutenberg link, click on "The Highland Widow" and read that one short story from the collection, and you're ready!

Then hop on the mail coach  this coming Sunday, at 10am SLT, and come talk about the story, at Foray! 

7 years ago
359 posts

I quite enjoy the technicalities, myself! However, the courtships of Jack and Stephen and Sophie and Diana - or if not precisely courtship, whatever it is that one must do to secure some part of Diana's attention - do indeed show the drawing-room's place in the society of the age.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

I like the challenge of the technicalities. Over the course of decades I've been reading and re-reading the Aubrey-Maturin series, some of it has sunk in. But to me, the story is in the relationship dynamics, not only in the drawing room but on board ship; not only between couples ashore but between shipmates.

My first time through the series, I was always a little impatient to get back to land and the presence of women in the stories, but O'Brian is such a good writer of human nature, I now enjoy every nuance of Jack and Stephen's friendship and their interactions with the other naval officers and seamen, politicians, merchants, and all...almost as much as life ashore. 

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Next meeting, Sunday the 2nd of July...

For discussion at our July meeting: the first 1/3 of Vanity Fair, by William Thackeray. We'll have read through Chapter XXII: A Marriage and Part of a Honeymoon. 

7 years ago
359 posts

And I may actually be able to log on for that, thanks to the statutory holiday on the 3rd. I'll need to review the text very quickly, as I read it as a hapless undergraduate (mostly between midnight and 2AM, if I recall that winter correctly), but the book is still part of my personal library.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Excellent! I'll have to speed up my own read.  I was going to try to skim it quickly but I keep slowing down, reading thoroughly so as not to miss a single snide snark! 

Kghia
@kghia
7 years ago
2 posts

Putting this title here, perhaps for future discussion: The Jane Austen Project by Kathleen A. Flynn. Apparently it is a mashup of Jane Austen and Thursday Next. 

http://modernmrsdarcy.com/books/jane-austen-project/

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

That looks like fun! 

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

I regret that due to illness and family demands (it never rains but it pours) I have to cancel FORAY for the foreseeable future. Many thanks to all who have been a part of our meeting and sharing. I really enjoyed hosting. I'm just sorry I can't continue! 

Kghia
@kghia
7 years ago
2 posts

Merry Chase:

I regret that due to illness and family demands (it never rains but it pours) I have to cancel FORAY for the foreseeable future. Many thanks to all who have been a part of our meeting and sharing. I really enjoyed hosting. I'm just sorry I can't continue! 

I'm sorry to hear that, Merry, but I'm glad you are prioritizing the truly important things rather than trying to do everything. If things settle and you pick up the discussion group again, I will be happy to participate. 

Be well. 

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,894 posts

Merry Chase:

I very much enjoyed the Foray meetings that I attended, Merry.  Thank you so much for hosting them!

I do hope you are feeling better soon.  All the best for you & your family.

--
Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
7 years ago
252 posts

Merry Chase:

I really enjoyed listening in on the discussions....always interesting discussion...thank you so much for hosting them.....I do hope....that you and your family get better..and will keep you in my prayers.

*huggs*

--
His Royal Highness Jacon Cortes de Bexar Prince of Antiquity, Duke of Cumberland, Duque de Bexar, Duc de la Valliere, Marchese di MSB