Living History
Donate to LHVW

Celebrating 20 years: Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a feminist parable for everyone.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,889 posts

A nod to Buffy the Vampire Slayer which first aired on March 10, 1997.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a feminist parable for everyone – including me Anthony Stewart Head

Twenty years after we started, I see that our series gave flesh (and horns) to the demons we all face in life: teenage Buffy’s storylines transcended age or gender

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,889 posts

BTVS is one of my all time favourite shows.  How refreshing to see a female lead that could look after herself and didn't need saving all the time.  Buffy was also a great role model for my daughter, who still enjoys a Buffy Marathon now and again.

Any other BTVS fans out there?

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
7 years ago
359 posts

Yes! The TV series still generates the occasional weekend immersion for me. My husband loves her too, and not only because she looks good wielding a stake. My daughter used to tout a strong preference for Susie Stackhouse, but I notice that as she becomes more of a full-time social activist, her tastes are shifting our way.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

I discovered Buffy pretty late in the game, via my kids. I sucked up the first couple of seasons but somewhere in the third season it lost me. I felt like it was relying too much on formula. But it's such a classic, and I am such a Whedon fan, I want to give it another chance. 

Mansur Marawi
@mansur-marawi
7 years ago
62 posts

I love this show to pieces. I didn't watch it until after it aired. A friend sat me down and basically forced me to watch it, and then I fell in love. The writing is really powerful. I love the way it plays with the genre and winks at the audience. It's a smart show wrapped in fluffy window dressing. All of these years later, Buffy stands out for me as one of the first TV shows that engaged both my brain and my heart. 

--
Owner, the NEW Larl Valley:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hunters%20XXX/168/64/22