Living History
Donate to LHVW

Help! What shall I wear?

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Help!

I admit, I'm "no slave to fashion" as the saying goes. I spend most of my inworld time digging in the dirt, painting or plastering and don't give much thought to what I'm wearing. I probably manage to change my outfit about once a season (or when I notice that I've taken a lot of pictures & I'm still wearing the same thing). Q uelle horreur!! :)

With the upcoming Crystal Ball I'm looking for a fabulous outfit and so I thought I would crowd source ideas fromsome of the most creative & best turned-out avatar ownersin SL.

My Sew Beautiful Pinterest Board may give some idea of my taste in fantasy dressing but I'm open to all kinds of ideas.

So what do you think?

Pictures & links (even to your own creations) most welcome.

Thanks!!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 11 Jan 2017 01:49:32AM
Bedrich Panacek
@bedrich-panacek
11 years ago
21 posts

Perhaps for this special event, you might want to consider an appearance as Glinda, the Good Witch of the South from the Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum. According to Wikipedia, "Glinda is depicted as a beautiful young woman with long, rich red hair and blue eyes, wearing a pure white dress." This dress would be reminiscent of the duchy snow. The article goes on to say "Glinda is strongly protective of her subjects in the South." In the 1939 movie, she appears as the Good Witch of the North (rather than the south)wearing a pink gown, with matching crown and a long magic wand with a glittering star on the tip.

At the end of the film, Glinda reveals to Dorothy the function of the Ruby Slippers, i.e.,that of travelling between lands and thereby allowing Dorothy to go home.

Incidentally, in "The Giant Horse of Oz", Ruth Plumly Thompson names the Good Witch of the North "Tattypoo". ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Witch_of_the_North
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glinda_the_Good_Witch

MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
11 years ago
647 posts

Crystal, you say?

2760_discussions.jpg

(Whoever knows what this shot is from, you are cool!)

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Thanks, Bedrich!

We've got at least three different looks for Glinda ...

From the 1939 Movie:

2761_discussions.jpg

From the 2013 Movie:

2762_discussions.jpg?width=721

From Wicked:

2763_discussions.jpg

I'll spare everyone the "Sexy Glinda" costume that I found during my Googling.

Too funny about "Tattypoo" - don't know if I really want to go there though. As they say "A name like that can stick, you know!"

Thoughts?

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Ohhh, very Mockingjay from the Hunger Games !

2764_discussions.jpg

Not sure my avi has the legs for it though;)

--
Alessandra di Fiorentino-Conti
@alessandra-di-fiorentino-conti
11 years ago
205 posts
Defenitely the Glinda dress from 1939....in my opinion the 2013 looks a bit poor ... But a charming Idea :-)
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Well, I do love pink :)

--
Marie-Adélina de La Ferrière
@marie-adelina-de-la-ferriere
11 years ago
80 posts

How about the gowns worn by Tilda Swinton as the Ice Queen in Lion, Witch and Wardrobe. 2766_discussions.jpg 2765_discussions.png

2767_discussions.jpg?width=721

Summer Serendipity
@summer-serendipity
11 years ago
69 posts

"Tattypoo" is just adorable, comes in any color you like, complete with a lifetime guarantee on the superglued velcro cover. ( : Merry Christmas, Tat! LOL

LouiseBathilde Sapphire
@louisebathilde-sapphire
11 years ago
100 posts

2768_discussions.jpg?width=721 2769_discussions.jpg

Either of these would be wonderful, I just ran across the gown with the tartan ribbons today. I love that word, "tartan" It makes my lips pucker up just saying it!

And the Silver gown, we all know who wore that, I have the textures for it, if you would like to IM me inworld I could see about putting something together for you.

Ekaterina Petrovna Shuvalova
@countess-shuvalova
11 years ago
209 posts

I love this post! I have several suggestions naturally!

Here are two modern suggestions:

2770_discussions.jpg

2771_discussions.jpg

Here are three Fictional/Historical choices!

2772_discussions.jpg?width=721

2773_discussions.jpg

2774_discussions.jpg

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
11 years ago
358 posts

Tilda was brilliant in Narnia, and the gown was stunning, this has my vote :D

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
11 years ago
358 posts

Great topic Tatiana and your Pinterest site is wonderful, so many beautiful photos and ideas :))

Quecay
@quecay
11 years ago
123 posts

I can imagine you wearing any of the clothes shown on your excellent Sew Beautifullink. But I think you would look great wearing a dress Dior, or perhaps the Chanel one or .not wait!... the Lacroix dress would fit perfect on you!.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

I'm always drooling over the haute couture details, Quecay!

All thedelicate beading & embroideryis just mind boggling.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

LOL - the phrase "superglued Velcro cover" gives me the shivers, Summer :)

Merry Christmas to you as well!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Yes, Tilda is stunning (both appearance & acting wise).

Love how that onedressranges from white to blue, the perfect representation of ice.

--
Joan Claremont
@joan-claremont
11 years ago
363 posts

ROFLMAO!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

I do have a soft spot for tartan, being married to someone of Scottish descent. His uncle actually had a whole suit made of their family tartan (no joke) which IMHO was a bit of overkill. A nice tie (or bows as show on this gown) is more my style.

Of course the silver gown is fabulous though it requires larger doorways and would have me thinking "do my hips look big in this" the whole time I was wearing it ;) Fantastic fabric!

--
Joan Claremont
@joan-claremont
11 years ago
363 posts

Oh stunning ...I love Tilda!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Ohhhh, sparkly!!!

Love all these choices, both modern & historical/fictional. So much wonderful detail on all of them.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Thanks, Leena!

It's fun to see all the suggestions as we're quite a creative crowd.

Pinterest is a (not so) guilty pleasure of mine. Very addictive to anyone that is highly visual :)

--
Leopoldina
@leopoldina
11 years ago
280 posts

oh I love Hedwig's wedding dress <3

2775_discussions.jpg?width=500

Joan Claremont
@joan-claremont
11 years ago
363 posts

I've always love Claire Pettibone so all three of the gowns are her designs. I think the gold is my favorite. It has a very Tolkien feel to it. :)

2776_discussions.jpg 2777_discussions.jpg 2778_discussions.jpg?width=500

2779_discussions.jpg?width=500

Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
11 years ago
95 posts

YUMMY! oh my god the dress is gorgeous

Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
11 years ago
95 posts

Hhhmmmm i wonder what i could wear....

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

:)

--
Alessandra di Fiorentino-Conti
@alessandra-di-fiorentino-conti
11 years ago
205 posts
I agree Leena, I liked Tilda here too and her gown is stunning.
Summer Serendipity
@summer-serendipity
11 years ago
69 posts

Not to mention backbreaking. ( ; I'm too much a wuss to even attempt dancing all night in a two ton gown ( except in SL) . LOL.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Yes, gold fabric, embroidery & lace - can you imagine the time & effort that went into making this! Wow!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Very true about it being Tolkeinesk, Joan. Certainly suitable for a high elf.

The white ones are sublime as well :)

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Lots of magical ideas here and we haven't even started on the winter velvets.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Forget the weight of the dress and think about the stilettos. SL is absolutely perfect for high-heels even when you're gardening!

--
Candace Ducatillon
@candace-ducatillon
11 years ago
204 posts

stop it already!! :-) way too much temptation ...

Summer Serendipity
@summer-serendipity
11 years ago
69 posts

HAHAHAHAhahahahahahah! Gosh they are even great for aeriating the soil too!

Jane Ixtar
@jane-ixtar
11 years ago
115 posts

Your Pintorest site Tatiana is a work of art. An utter joy, a dream for me. I love these pieces.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Thank you, Jane! So glad you like it :)

As I've already mentioned I've got a bit of a Pinterest obsession - so many beautiful things that can be captured there.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

I'm sure I've posted this picture in another thread but I think it deserves repeating.

When I think of winter celebrations I always think of Empress Elisabeth of Austria (Sisi) by Franz Xaver Winterhalter. I recently saw detailed photos of the diamond stars that she wore in her hair, turns out they weren't all the same. I'll post them if I can find them again.

2780_discussions.jpg

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

2781_discussions.jpg

Empress Elisabeth of Austria - actual Star jewelry pins - Contrary to what was previously thought, there were various versions, namely eight-pointed and ten-pointed stars with and without pearls produced in a variety of jeweller's workshops.

--
Candace Ducatillon
@candace-ducatillon
11 years ago
204 posts

Stunning!Thank you Tatiana

Joan Claremont
@joan-claremont
11 years ago
363 posts

I found my dress! Really looking forward to seeing everyones gowns!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Excellent, Joan!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone as well :)

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Well I have to say that everyone looked fantastic!

I actually ended up wearing (what Ithink of as)a modern version of Glinda created by Ephe :)

2782_discussions.jpg

I didn't take many pictures at the ball (was afraid I would crash & never return) so please feel free to post your selfies here :))

Thanks to everyone that made this thread so much fun!

--
Joan Claremont
@joan-claremont
11 years ago
363 posts

Yeey selfies lol

The gown was a lot more pink & sparkly in person - Gown by Bliss Couture
2783_discussions.jpg

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

It was a beautiful choice, Joan! You floated across the dance floor :)

--
Summer Serendipity
@summer-serendipity
11 years ago
69 posts

Agreed. In fact you both were lovely visions of delicate beauty, femininity and grace. ( ;