Living History
Donate to LHVW

Remains of D. Pedro II and Princess Isabel of Brazil may be exhumed

Leopoldina
@leopoldina
10 years ago
280 posts

d-pedro-ii-princesa-isabel.png

Some of you may remember when I posted almost a year ago about the exhumation of the remains of emperor D. Pedro I and his two wives Leopoldina and Amlia, and last week I found this article that say that now the remains of his and Leopoldina's son, emperor D. Pedro II, and their granddaughter, Princess Isabel - who would have been an empress had the monarchy remained- may have their remains exhumed too.

It was said that in the future there would be facial reconstructions and even simulations of their voices and manner of walking, and I hope to see those soon!

---

Researchers at the University of So Paulo ( USP ) plan to exhume the remains of Dom Pedro II ( 1825-1891 ) , and his daughter, Princess Isabel , to investigate details of the ((Imperial)) Royal Family unknown until now.

It is a project of the College of Medicine, USP. We intend to exhume the remains, but the work is still on paper, let's take one step at a time, "said the researcher Valdirene do Carmo, also responsible for the exhumation of Dom Pedro I, taken less than two years.

Thus, before unearthing the remains D. Pedro II, who ruled Brazil from 1831 to 1889, when the monarchy was abolished, the team needs the permission of the heirs of the royal family, the Catholic Church, since the remains are in the Catedral de So Pedro de Alcntara, in Petropolis, in Rio de Janeiro, and state authorities.

According to the news agency EFE, if they obtain the permissions, the remains will be tranfered to So Paulo, to undergo analysis.

"We've done the work with the first emperors and this is a new generation, so it would be interesting to analysis, although we do not know what information will be extracted," explained Valdirene, who added that the results "will depend on the state of preservation of bodies" but "luckily there is no humidity in the Cathedral '.

tomografia-d.-pedro.jpg

Dom Pedro and his wives

Between February and September 2012, Valdirene led the work of exhumation of the remains of D. Pedro I, the first Brazilian emperor, and his two wives, the Empress Dona Leopoldina and Dona Amlia.

At the time, a security scheme was set up to carry the coffins at dawn from the imperial crypt in the Parque da Independncia, in the Ipiranga neighborhood, to the place of examination, in Cerqueira Csar, where, under secrecy, the skeletons were submitted the ultrasound and CT scans.

The analyzes showed that D. Peter I fractured throughout its life four ribs on the left side, the result of two accidents - a fall of horse and carriage breaks. This would have undermined one of his lungs and thus aggravated the tuberculosis that caused his death at age 36 in 1834. He was between1,66 m and 1,73 m tall and was buried in General's clothing.

he exhumation of the remains of Dona Leopoldina contradicts the story that the then Empress of Brazil would have fractured the femur after Dom Pedro I have pushed her off a staircase the Palcio Quinta da Boa Vista, then the residence of the Royal((Imperial)) Family, located in Rio de January. On examination, no fractures were found.I

In the case of the first emperor's second wife, Dona Amlia, scientists were surprised to see that the Empress had been mummufied and had parts of her body preserved, such as hair, nails and eyelashes. A cross of wood and metal was buried with her.

^ Tomography of D. Pedro I

tomografia.jpg ^ D. Leopoldina undergoes a tomography

amelia.jpg ^ Dona Amlia's mummification was a surprise

Source

updated by @leopoldina: 30 May 2017 11:20:49AM
Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
10 years ago
95 posts
I agree it would be nice to see a new court such as that! I find it would be quiet a wonderous point to start at!
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
10 years ago
154 posts

How fascinating that their voices and walks will be recreated as well as their appearance. This amazes me. And what possibilities it opens up for virtual worlds and virtual people, eh? Thank you for sharing this.