Living History
Donate to LHVW

:Update 11/11: The House of Dun, Montrose, Scotland.

Charles Edward Erskine
@charles-edward-erskine
11 years ago
11 posts

House of Dun
Early Georgian

This fine family house was completed by William Adam, for the Erskine family, in 1730. William Adam was the foremost architect of the day. (He was also father to Robert Adam.) The house interiors were decorated with intricate, white plasterwork by Joseph Enzer. This was the height of fashion then and remains, today, an outstanding example of early Georgian dcor.

2611_discussions.jpg?width=750 Real life... and now... Second Life....

We have moved from the mainland to an estate and hold 3/4 of a sim for the project. The slow roll open starts now and a grand opening event is being planned as this is being typed. For those curiosity seekers who wish to visit the village and forest, feel free to do so. But please be aware that the main house is private and to enter would require advanced notice. Tours and open house events will be planned as well in the near future.

2612_discussions.png?width=750 Most of our research was done with the help of several websites, including:

http://web.undiscoveredscotland.com/montrose/houseofdun/

http://www.nts.org.uk/Learn/virtual_dun.php (Which has an amazing virtual tour)

https://www.facebook.com/HouseofDun/photos_albums (Their own Facebook page)

The build sits on a 20480 sq meter lot that supports 4687 prims, the residence is on a platform 1200m up, where the average person can't just wander in and we still have blue skies to enjoy. The walled garden has two fountains as well as lush decorative landscaping while the courtyard has many outbuildings and quarters as well as the game larder. The house itself is complete, minus the lower level which housed some of the servants, the kitchen and other rooms that contained rods and guns for sporting. Should we move to a larger lot, the house will be expanded to include those missing rooms. (Now just windows with dark drapes)

The plaster work is still in progress, as much will have to be hand drawn or rendered in a way to simulate the work that we lack. Many of the textures have been duplicated to represent the real ones, while others are at least inspired to be what might be in the rooms themselves.

While the real house took thirteen years to build, our representation took three months (give or take) and will remain a work in progress till even the lower level can be built.

Right now only a few have been able to come and visit the house, but soon we hope to open up the estate for others to see. We hope to have it open for viewing as a living museum as well as role play and our own private use.

I would like to thank Tatiana for the use of the Royal Courts Ning forums to share my work, as well as those who have supported me in my dream of building such a fine home in Second Life.

~Charles-Philippe de Tancarville, Duc de Frasiac

PS: Some more photos of the build, taken today after the most recent work on the gardens.

2613_discussions.png?width=750 2614_discussions.png?width=750 2615_discussions.png?width=750 2616_discussions.png?width=750 2617_discussions.png?width=750 This last photo is of the old library, one of my favorite rooms in the house.

::Update::

2618_discussions.png?width=750 A new horse sculpture added to the front of the house, plus a few edits on the main columns on the facade. We did add a forest and pavilion, vineyard and wine house, did some mods in the courtyard... Soon... very soon will we open our doors to guests.

2619_discussions.png?width=750 2620_discussions.png?width=750 2621_discussions.png?width=750 2622_discussions.png?width=750 2623_discussions.png?width=750 Yes, I have a pair of cats in my library.

2624_discussions.png?width=750 2625_discussions.png?width=750

updated by @charles-edward-erskine: 26 May 2017 04:18:25AM
Candace Ducatillon
@candace-ducatillon
11 years ago
204 posts

This all appears quite wonderful and inviting. And I will agree that there is something about a library ..... . The one pictured is indeed handsome.

Lady Bluebird of Orkney
@lady-bluebird-of-orkney
11 years ago
81 posts

Beautiful. I look forward to the time when members of the public may be able to visit!

Jean-Matisse
@jean-matisse
11 years ago
30 posts

Well done....all looks great!

Aldo Stern
@aldo-stern
11 years ago
157 posts

very nice work

Lady Burnstein
@lady-burnstein
11 years ago
225 posts

A great stately home!

Jane Ixtar
@jane-ixtar
11 years ago
115 posts

Hugs you!

I love! Yes the Library ;p I work in one all day and I would sit back, kick the feet up and have a brandy here any time. :))

MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
11 years ago
647 posts

I have been happy to be following you building this since some of the first stones, and you have done such a great job. It looks really nice!

Marie-Adélina de La Ferrière
@marie-adelina-de-la-ferriere
11 years ago
80 posts
Beautiful!
Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
11 years ago
252 posts

Beautiful work..I do love the detail...great job...:)

--
His Royal Highness Jacon Cortes de Bexar Prince of Antiquity, Duke of Cumberland, Duque de Bexar, Duc de la Valliere, Marchese di MSB
Charles Edward Erskine
@charles-edward-erskine
11 years ago
11 posts

Thank you every one for the kind words.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

I absolutely love projects like this!

The danged things are always "a work in progress" involving lots of research, building, re-building, re-re-building and a whole lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing it with us :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
John Wilmot Earl of Rochester
@john-wilmot-earl-of-rochester
11 years ago
27 posts

Wonderful work . I envy your skill . Well done

Tartuffe

wiseboyqc
@louis-francis-de-beauharnois
11 years ago
34 posts

Great work, I love your garden design and by the look of the library I languish for more inside pictures :) Keep the good work.

Contessa Elena Marina Foscari
@contessa-elena-marina-foscari
11 years ago
49 posts

Congratulations on a fabulous build ! I hope one day to visit.

Jane Ixtar
@jane-ixtar
11 years ago
115 posts

Wow. It's getting better all the time, so exciting to have made this home. I don't want to push you guys, but .. I haven't seen it yet ... ^^\\\\\ and yes, two cats is the only thing better than one.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

I've cleaned up this thread to keep it on topic.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
11 years ago
95 posts
Ooohhh WONDERFUL! I can't wait to see it all it's amazing!!!! Bravo