Living History
Donate to LHVW

Are you fond of tarts?? A Book Lovers' Game: Regency Romantic Personals! Play right here.

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Are you fond of tarts? Regency Romantic Personals

This game was invented at a Foray meeting by Kghia Gherardi and me, but we can play it right here just as well! 

“Sir, are you fond of tarts?”

“Meet me in the gazebo and I’ll help you with that corset.”

Write a pickup line, personals ad, or brief dating profile, as if it were 1800 to 1820 or so... for yourself or for a character in a book, or for any random Regency personality.

Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin and Diana Villiers would all be fun from Patrick OBrian's novels.

Or of course Elizabeth or Darcy from Pride and Prejudice.

Or your RP character, or the girl who sells tarts, or a random roguish rake…let your imagination run riot in the Regency. 

The language isn’t as important as the ideas. Something like, “Handsome rogue ISO innocent maiden,“ could do fine!

Scribble away, and have fun. 

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Here are some we came up with at today's Foray meeting. 

Merry Chase: Mature sea captain ISO serious woman. Intention, marriage. Must be sufficiently adult to overlook lack of attention, long absences, meaningless dalliances with younger women. Be steadfast and true and I’m yours…eventually. Respond by letter to Capt F. Wentworth, Naval Office, Brighton. 

Talia Sunsong: Wickham: Miss, I would invite you to a ball, but Darcy would scowl at me all night long. Would you mind terribly if we dance in the garden tonight instead?

Talia Sunsong: Emma personal ad: Meddling matchmaker seeks match for self. Pretty, a bit vain but good at heart. Will make fun of poorer friends, but will feel bad about it later.  Puts up with rude fiance who teaches lessons to immature young ladies.

Merry Chase: Maiden of a certain age sees December romance in the cards. Me: of good old Cornish family, strong and wise, with powerful evil eye. You: no nonsense gentleman of the old sort who likes his brandy and a bawdy laugh. Let’s get together and recall the good old Georgian days as captured by Rowlandson. Reply to Agatha Poldark, Trenwith. 

Merry Chase: Here's a random one-liner. She: Is the codpiece back in style or are you glad to see me?

Talia Sunsong: Darcy: Brooding, ultra rich aristocrat, heavy handed in advising friends on whom to marry, seeks no one, as no woman is good enough looking to tempt me.

Merry Chase: Modest Naval Surgeon seeks independent beauty with fiery spirit. Knowledge of natural history and interest in current political affairs helpful but not required. Respond to Dr. S. Maturin, The Grapes. 

Kghia Gherardi: Young woman with little income, passion for Gothic novels and an overactive imagination seeks patient gentleman with common sense. 
(Can you guess the heroine?)