Living History
LHVW Fundraiser 2017

Latest Followers:

Elisabeth Tiponi de Salem Mansur Marawi Una Lunaqat Lady Leena Fandango Merry Chase JPdAmboise Duke of Marlborough Kghia Lady Hartfield Claire-Sophie de Rocoulle Lorsagne de Sade Gabrielle de Polastron Leopoldina Duke of Richmond Bebe Begonia Tatiana Dokuchic

Game of Thrones ~ A Song of Ice and Fire

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
2 years ago
1,656 posts

Game of Thrones, the HBO Series based on G.R.R, Martin's book series A Song of Ice and Fire, is heading into its final two (shortened) seasons.  Love it or hate it, you have to admit the scope of both the television series and the novels is impressive.

q?_encoding=UTF8&MarketPlace=US&ASIN=B00   q?_encoding=UTF8&MarketPlace=US&ASIN=B01

Now that things are started to wind down a bit I thought I'd start a discussion where we could talk about all things GoT related, spoilers included.

One of my favourite GoT references is the website History Behind the Game of Thrones edited by Jamie Adair as it's a great way to explore history and I encourage you to check it out.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Co-owner of the Duché de Coeur ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
2 years ago
1,656 posts

I started reading the books before I knew it was going to be turned into a TV series.  I have to say that I enjoyed them BUT GRRM really could have used a lot more editing.  Now that the TV timeline has overtaken the books I don't know if I will actually read the last two? installments.  On the other hand, I'm not sure if GRRM will actually live to finish them.  I get the feeling that he ended up biting off more than he can chew.

His penchant for killing off main characters got a little old for me and I became one of those people that was threatening to quit if my remaining favourites (Arya & Jon) were snuffed.  I'll see how I feel when the time comes.

To get the ball rolling on the TV side here's a recap of Seasons 1-6 since it's been awhile:

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Co-owner of the Duché de Coeur ~ Webmistress of this site
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
2 years ago
330 posts

I must confess that although I LOVE GRRM's shorter works, and was engrossed in Game of Thrones throughout the first two books, I stopped reading at the end of A Storm of Swords because I was also weary of all the guts.

I haven't watched much of the series, but when this season is finished, I'm going to see if I can handle binge-watching all of it over a couple of months.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
2 years ago
1,656 posts

Daenerys is No Hero

If you think Daenerys is a hero, you haven’t been paying attention. She might be the biggest villain on Game of Thrones and we don’t even know it. (Well, we might after the Loot train battle.)

An interesting article from Jamie Adair giving us a different perspective with references to conquerors through the ages including Alexander the Great & Henry VII.

---  SPOILERS ---

I'm really enjoying this season so far. Seems like I've been waiting forever for Arya to get payback against the Freys and I'm loving all the Stark reunions.

---

@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi I haven't read his other works, I'll have to give them a try.  I can understand how you could become "weary of all the guts".  I doggedly continued because I wanted resolution - something I'm just getting now with the TV series.

--
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
one month ago
330 posts

I recently finished binge-watching Seasons 5 and 6, and am impatiently waiting for Crave to add Season 7! The above summary trailer is very well done - a belated thank-you for posting it, Tatiana.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch

updated by @tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi: 17 Jan 2019 02:24:23PM