Living History
Donate to LHVW

Stephen King: The Writer's Voice

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,889 posts

Stephen King: The Writer's Voice

Across a long and prolific career, Stephen King’s works can be shown to evolve alongside the author. This special feature discusses how a writer’s voice in their work is tied to the writer’s personal experience and explores the risk of literary influence by examining specific entries in King’s canon...

stephenking.jpg

Seems that I've had Stephen King on the brain lately so I was delighted to come across this article.  TV & movie-wise, it looks to be a summer filled with adaptations of his books so I thought his work would make for an interesting discussion.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,889 posts

It's scary to think how far Stephen King has managed to insinuate his work into my life.  The Shining was the first of his books that I read and I still can't visit the Chateau Montebello without imagining the Overlook Hotel.

A few of his characters have taken up residence with me as "old friends" and so I re-read their stories to get back in touch with them.  I'm always delighted when they make cameos, however brief, in other tales giving me some sense of what they've been up to since I saw them last.

That's not to say I appreciate all of his work (apparently he doesn't either) but among my favourites are It , The Stand , and The Dark Tower series.  I'll admit that I was one of those "constant readers" that was scared he was actually going to die before finishing with The Dark Tower and as it turns out that wasn't just paranoia as he almost didn't make it.

This summer a number of TV and movie adaptations are rolling out and I'm excited to see how they fair.  So far I haven't been impressed with previous versions of The Shining (hated Jack Nicholson in it), The Stand (TV mini-series) or It (TV mini-series) but I still have hope because of The Green Mile , Shawshank Redemption , Stand By Me and Haven (TV).

How about you?  Do you have any old SK favourites?  Are you looking forward to the new releases?

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Mansur Marawi
@mansur-marawi
7 years ago
62 posts

Have you read his "On Writing?" It's a fascinating look into his personal life and the intersection between that and what he calls his 'writer's toolbox.'

--
Owner, the NEW Larl Valley:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hunters%20XXX/168/64/22
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,889 posts

Mansur Marawi:

Have you read his "On Writing?" It's a fascinating look into his personal life and the intersection between that and what he calls his 'writer's toolbox.'

I have! A most enjoyable read with, as you say, a glimpse into his life.  I'd like to say that it improved my writing skills but not so much (and not his fault!).

Do you have a favourite SK book, Mansur?

--

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 09 Aug 2017 03:41:22PM
Mansur Marawi
@mansur-marawi
7 years ago
62 posts

Uh... are you making me choose just one?! I can't. My favorite is always the last one I read. Lately, it's Needful Things.

That said... I think I like his son, Joe Hill, even better. I really liked Horns. 

--
Owner, the NEW Larl Valley:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hunters%20XXX/168/64/22
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,889 posts

I haven't read any of Joe Hill's work yet so I'll have to look him up.  In the meantime, here's more about his dad: The essential Stephen King: a crash course in the best from America’s horror master

--