Living History
Donate to LHVW

The Greater Taste Christmas Dinner Special

Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
12 years ago
95 posts
Hello people (sorry for yesterday but I was in a rather messy situation at home so I couldn't do it that day)Any way I am going to give ye my favourite dinner recipes for christmas so let's startSo for the turkey a French recipe which is quiet traditional (also check out my first The Greater Taste for a nice juicy turkey)Farcie Dinte Rtie aux Marrons et aux Pommes(Stuffed Roast Turkey with Chestnuts and Apples)Ingredients:1 turkey (about 2.5 to 3kg) with giblets and trimmingsFor the Stuffing:400g pork belly300g pork fillet, dicedturkey giblets and trimmings, roughly chopped2 shallots, finely choppedleaves from small bunch of thymesalt, freshly ground black pepper and mixed spice, to taste50ml brandybutter and groundnut oilFor the Garnish:2 apples400g chestnuts, baked and peeledcelery saltMethod:Heat about 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp oil in a deep frying or saute pan. When hot add the turkey liver and quickly fry for 1 minute before adding the shallots. Sweat these gently for 2 minutes then stir in the thyme leaves and season with salt and black pepper. Take off the heat, pour in the brandy then set alight and flamb.Once the flames have died down turn onto a plate and set aside to cool. In the meantime, combine the remaining giblets (do not add the neck and trimmings) and the pork belly in a food processor and coarsely blitz together. Add the cooled liver and shallot mix and blitz again to combine. Season well then incorporate the diced pork fillet. Now add 100g of the chestnuts and blitz gently, so that the ingredients mix well, but the chestnuts do not break up too much.Use this stuffing to stuff the neck and body cavity of your turkey then close the openings with wooden cocktail sticks. Place the bird (sitting on its side) in a cast iron casserole with about 1 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp groundnut oil that's just large enough to hold it then chop the bird trimmings (neck, wing tips, feet etc) and arrange these in the dish, around the bird. Cover with a tight-fitting lid then transfer to an oven pre-heated to 180C and cook for 20 minutes. After this time, turn the turkey onto its other side then return to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes.Once this time is up, turn the turkey onto its breast and cook for a further 20 minutes. Now turn the turkey onto its back and return to the oven. Continue cooking for 40 minutes further, or until the turkey is cooked through. During the cooking time baste with the pan juices every 10 minutes or so, to ensure the bird is moist. Remove the lid for the final 20 minutes of cooking, to ensure the bird colours nicely. Also remove 3/4 of the fat from the pan and replace with water (this will make your jus).Remove the turkey from the casserole and sit on a carving block. Cover with foil and set aside to rest for 20 minutes. Strain the pan juices into a bowl and set aside.In the meantime, peel the apples and use a mellon baller to scoop out balls from the flesh. Melt a little butter in a pan, add the apple balls and the chestnuts and fry gently until just heated through.Skim the surface of the pan juices then strain into a sauce boat. Carve your turkey then remove the stuffing and slice this. Take an oval serving dish and overlap the slices of stuffing down the centre. Arrange the turkey meat around the outside of this then garnish the outside of the dish with the apple balls and chestnuts. Serve immediately, accompanied by the sauce.Now for a ham (green eggs and ham lol dr suess) I love ham for Christmas it's a great dish to have on the table as it's a nice juicy dish not as dry as turkeyBaked ham (From Mam and Nan)Ingredients:4lb (2kg) uncooked joint of bacon, smoked or unsmoked1 onion, cut in four2 carrots, roughly chopped2 celery sticks, cut in four1 leek, cut in four2 bay leaves1 spig of thyme2 tbs runny honey4 tbs demerara or light brown sugar4 tbs fresh breadcrumbswhole clovesoranges and cherries for decoration (optional)Method:Stage One: Tie the bacon into a neat shape and soak it overnight in a pan of cold water to extract excess salt.When you are ready to start cooking, drain the bacon, replace it in the pan and cover it with fresh water. Bring to the boil.Discard the water and rinse out the pan.Put the bacon back into the pan, together with the onions, carrots, leek, celery, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 1 hour and 40 minutes (25 minutes per lb/550g).Stage Two: At this point the bacon is cooked. Allow the joint to cool for a few minutes before carefully removing the rind and some of the thickest fat.Mix the sugar and breadcrumbs together. Using a sharp knife, cut a one-inch (3cm) diamond pattern over the fat. Rub the honey into the fat and sprinkle the mixed sugar and breadcrumbs, making sure to give an even coating on the top and sides. Stud the centre of each diamond with a clove.Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas7. Place the joint in a roasting tin and put it in the centre of the oven for 10-20 minutes until the fat is crisp and brown. Remove it from the oven and let it settle for 10 minutes before carving.This baked ham recipe serves 6-8. Preparation 25 mins plus overnight soak. Total cooking time 2 hrs.Or if you want a nice chicken recipe which is absolutely gorgeous (p.s. I'm cooking all of these for Christmas as I have a big family (of 40) thank god Imore than 3 ovens in the house)Irish chicken (yet again another from mam)3 lg. whole chicken breastsSalt and pepper1/2 c. all purpose flour1/4 c. butter1/4 c. vegetable oil1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced1 c. canned chicken broth1/2 c. Irish cream liqueurMethod:Skin and bone chicken breasts. Place each breast between two sheets of wax paper. With flat side of a wooden mallet, pound breast to an even 1/4 inch thickness. Sprinkle each breast with some salt and pepper, then dust both sides of breasts with some flour. Reserve 2 tablespoons flour for the sauce. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil. Saute chicken breasts, a few at a time, until golden brown, adding more butter and oil as needed. Remove breasts to plate as they brown. When all breasts are browned, add mushrooms to skillet. Cook until just tender. Stir in 2 tablespoon flour until well mixed. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Cook until sauce thickens stir in Irish Cream Liqueur and heat until sauce bubbles. spoon some sauce on top. Pass remaining sauce separately. Garnish with watercress, if desired. Makes 6 servings.Ok so a nice few side dishes for dinner would be:PeasVegPotatoesStuffingSome soup (maybe)BreadRoles ( or some of ye might call bread roles)Drinks to serve for dinner:Ok so every one has to have drinks for dinner so heres my recommendations:Kids:Fizzy drinksWaterJuiceMilkAdults:Baileys (great with Christmas dinner)BrandyWhiskeyRed wineWhite wineChampagneCognacFizzy drinksWaterFizzy waterAnd for my favourite part dessertsOk so desserts are absolutely my favourite bit of dinner now then shall weApple tart ( favourite of mine thank you Mammy for your recipe) and this is not your american apple pie this is the Almighty APPLE TART of the average Irish countryside225g/8oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting2 tbsps icing sugar100g/4oz butter2 large egg yolks900g/2lb Bramley cooking apples100g/4oz golden caster sugar tsp ground cinnamonGood pinch ground cloves1 tbsp milkMethodSift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl. Using a round-bladed knife, work in the butter then mix in the egg yolks with two to three tablespoons of ice-cold water, until the dough just comes together.Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes.Pre-heat the oven to 190C/ 375F/Gas Mark 5.Lightly dust your work surface with flour. Divide the pastry into two portions -- one slightly larger than the other -- then roll out the larger piece until it's about 30cm/12in in diameter.Use to line a 20cm/8in pie dish or 23cm/9in flat plate, gently pressing into the corners.Knock the sides with a round-bladed knife to give a decorative finish and place back in the fridge to chill while you peel, core and slice the apples.Place them in a large bowl with all but one tablespoon of the caster sugar plus the cinnamon and cloves. Mix together.Take the pastry out of the fridge, brush the edge with a little milk, then pile the apple mix into the lined pie dish.Roll out the second piece of pastry into a circle slightly larger than the pie dish and use to cover the apples. Press the edges together to seal, then use a sharp knife to cut away any excess.Crimp the edges of the tart with a round-bladed knife and, using your fingers as a guide, roll out the pastry scraps and cut into leaf shapes.Brush with milk and stick on top of the pie. Brush the pie with milk and sprinkle over the rest of the sugar.Bake for 25-30 minutes, then reduce the oven to 180C/350F/ Gas Mark 4 and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.Cut into slices to serve.Lovely topped with creamAnd next a deliciousMelting Chocolate Pudding (Thank you Nan)Ingredients150g self-raising flour4 tbsp cocoa powder50g ground almonds100g dark chocolate , roughly chopped200g caster sugar175ml milk50g butter , melted1 eggSAUCE150g dark muscovado sugar3 tbsp cocoa powderTo make the chocolate sponge pudding, heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, ground almonds, chocolate and sugar together. Then stir the milk, butter and egg together and mix into the dry ingredients. Spoon into 6 individual ramekins or ovenproof dishes.To make the sauce, mix the sugar and cocoa powder and gradually stir in 300ml boiling water. Spoon this over the sponge mixture.Bake the puddings for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 170C/fan 150C/gas 3 and cook for a further 10 minutes until the sponge feels firm to the touch - the sauce will be lurking underneath. Serve straight from the oven with cream.And for some more recipes check the food section of the forum for my Christmas treats on "The Greater Taste"PLEASE leave a comment on how yours went if you though it was very helpful and if you like itAu RevoirMarie G.Merry Christmas to you all and a happy new yearI send my love To you your all my dears
updated by @georgiana-fitzherbert-grace: 06 Oct 2016 06:16:59AM
Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
12 years ago
95 posts
So Did any of ye do these recipes for christmas ???