Living History
Donate to LHVW

What People in 1900 Thought the Year 2000 Would Look Like

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
9 years ago
358 posts

An interesting article from the Washington Post with colored postcards, taken from paintings, showing what people from the year 1900 thought the year 2000 would be like.

"The series of paintings, made by Jean-Marc Ct and other French artists in 1899, 1900, 1901 and 1910, shows artist depictions of what life mightlook like in the year 2000."

What people in 1900 thought the year 2000 would look like

Enjoy :)

updated by @lady-leena-fandango: 06 Oct 2016 06:37:18AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,900 posts

Very interesting & lots of fun! Thanks. Leena :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Alessandra di Fiorentino-Conti
@alessandra-di-fiorentino-conti
9 years ago
205 posts

TY for sharing....it was real fun to see the pictures.... :)

Kristianna Fotherington
@kristianna-fotherington
9 years ago
25 posts

Very cool :)

Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
9 years ago
313 posts

The vacuum cleaner robot is a hoot! A fascinating look backwards and forward. Thanks, Leena.

Zed Tremont
@zed-tremont
8 years ago
14 posts

Charming, absolutely charming lol, in the 60ties they where still busy with the underwater living, scared me as hell as a child rolf.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,900 posts

Ugh, those underwater living spaces STILL give me the creeps, @zed-tremont!  I just keep imagining all the force of that water and then I start looking for tiny leaks ;)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Zed Tremont
@zed-tremont
8 years ago
14 posts

brrr, at least now we dream of Mars, at least they say it's not that wet there grin

Leopoldina
@leopoldina
8 years ago
280 posts

The underwater spaces reminds me of some hotels nowadays. As beautiful as they are, I'm not sure I would get over the fear of the glass just breaking lol http://www.richestlifestyle.com/6-most-stunning-underwater-hotels/

It's kind of telling how we are still far from some of these, but mostly in the war department we have progressed much further from their predictions.

On a side note, it's funny that all of these predictions have people dressed in the early 1900s fashions, as if those would've stayed the same! I think I've posted on the old website a video made around the same time, predicting how fashion would have evolved.