Donate to LHVW

'Victoria' Is About To Become Your Biggest Non-Guilty Pleasure

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

' Definitely going to give this a shot!

Victoria' Is About To Become Your Biggest Non-Guilty Pleasure

Do you miss "Downton Abbey" with every fiber of your period-piece-loving being? Fear not, Victoria is here to ease your suffering. The PBS drama tells the story of a young Queen Victoria as she finds her footing as England's unlikely regina and falls in love with Prince Albert, the most emo man of all time.

The show can best be described as stunning, addictive, "why am I not an 18th century English royal?" inducing, and ridiculously romantic — i.e. exactly what you need to get you through this winter.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
8 years ago
359 posts

My fellow Dr. Who fans should be very pleased by the casting.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Mark your calendars! Premiering January 15, 2017

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Lady Aphrodite Macbain
@lady-aphrodite-macbain
7 years ago
27 posts

Tatiana Dokuchic:

' Definitely going to give this a shot!

Victoria' Is About To Become Your Biggest Non-Guilty Pleasure

Do you miss "Downton Abbey" with every fiber of your period-piece-loving being? Fear not, Victoria is here to ease your suffering. The PBS drama tells the story of a young Queen Victoria as she finds her footing as England's unlikely regina and falls in love with Prince Albert, the most emo man of all time.

The show can best be described as stunning, addictive, "why am I not an 18th century English royal?" inducing, and ridiculously romantic — i.e. exactly what you need to get you through this winter.

It is worth seeing simply to watch Rufus Sewell as Lord Melbourne **swoons**

7 years ago
359 posts

Yes, it proved a good way to watch Rufus Sewell...I enjoyed it! And not only him and Jenna Coleman. I was interested in the whole of it. I laughed aloud when I saw how much the throne room looks like the one in our Buckingham - and Jacon tells me that he and Twelfth are already considering the matter of textures earlier than the sources they found when they were building. I enjoyed seeing the interpretations of the people I've been studying for our Georgian period work, and the Whig and Tory politics. I enjoyed the rats and the tallow...so far, so good, and definitely a date for next Sunday.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
7 years ago
252 posts

Ahoy.....well wow...who stole our Buckingham?...where to start ....I just watched it last night and I must say it is a pretty good show so far.  I was struck by the exterior of Buckingham and how similar it is to our version.  When Twelfth first told me she had seen it, my first thought was....omg....we should be able to see the rooms as they were before Victoria did any redecorating and adding.  When she moved in, William IV had just passed and he hated Buckingham so never lived there.  It would have been just as John Nash had envisioned.  

I will have to watch it again, as they move from room to room...so I can get my bearings.  I do see a red throne room.  I really would love to get it closer to the original version.  I did though come across an article on the set design.  

From set designer Michael Howells, "“There's not much early reference to what the interiors of Kensington Palace and Buckingham Palace were like,” he says. “We had to go on the style. We decided to pitch it more Georgian and Regency so that it's still minimal and quite formal.”

Seems we were not the only ones that ran into this problem of finding what the interior looked like when it was finished during William.  I do remember being told once there was a book with the descriptions of each of the rooms.  I could have sworn something about the Blue Drawing Room being red and black.

All in all i am already hooked.  Besides the Prime Minister, who I agree is swoon-able, I only have eyes for the palace so far.  Yay...:))

--
His Royal Highness Jacon Cortes de Bexar Prince of Antiquity, Duke of Cumberland, Duque de Bexar, Duc de la Valliere, Marchese di MSB
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Not only Dr Who--look downstairs and you find Torchwood. As for Lord M, he reminds me of Gabriel Byrne and that is not a bad thing. 

I'm pleased they found a way to incorporate some below-stairs stories. As always, I'm more into the commoners than the royals. The machinations for getting ones "perks" delightfully echo the political intrigues upstairs. 

A good start, and I look forward to seeing characters develop. Thanks for the heads-up!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,895 posts

Well that was most enjoyable!  I don't know much about Victoria so I was blissfully unaware of any historical inaccuracies.  I'm wondering what those of you who are more up to speed on her life & times thought?

--
7 years ago
359 posts

According to the author interview that PBS aired right after the last episode of the season, the author is drawing heavily on Victoria's own diaries. Certainly some key details are right - the white wedding gown, the packing off of her mother's over-controlling "friend." I've gathered from other sources that Victoria was never actually recorded as having said "We are not amused" but I was quite amused by her use of the line in the show, while in bed with her husband. Having been pregnant and grumpy about it myself - without the added annoyance of a nation waiting impatiently on the outcome as though nothing else about me was important, or the reasonable terror induced by maternal mortality rates of the age - yes, Princess Charlotte did die in childbed, helped along by the incompetence of the doctor in attendance - I empathize with the attitude portrayed.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
7 years ago
154 posts

Yes, Victoria became a much more human and sympathetic character for me, when we saw her facing the same terrors that confronted all pregnant women of her era. 

The relationship between Victoria and Albert is charming. Not without conflict, and not too sappy, I think it was very well written and well played. I hope their real relationship was much like what we saw on the screen.

6 years ago
359 posts

The Irish famine episode generated tears in my real-life household, and not only for old sacrifices and economic politics. Governments in many countries are still generating malnutrition among their people through excessive consideration for the bank accounts of their well-to-do supporters. The more things change...

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
6 years ago
1,895 posts

Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi:

The Irish famine episode generated tears in my real-life household, and not only for old sacrifices and economic politics. Governments in many countries are still generating malnutrition among their people through excessive consideration for the bank accounts of their well-to-do supporters. The more things change...

I agree, Tiamat.  Horrible.

--
Mansur Marawi
@mansur-marawi
6 years ago
62 posts

I've begun to watch this (late, being an American) and I am all in! It is a fun and fascinating show. I agree that the 'downstairs' characters are as intriguing as the 'upstairs' ones. For me, given that I am writing a novel that takes place during the end of the Napoleonic wars, it is a weird and wonderful treat to see the show's take on characters from 'my era' later in their own lives: Lord M goes from Caro Lamb's famously cuckolded husband to PM; Wellington from his famous victory at Waterloo to... PM. Was everyone at Lady Richmond's ball a future PM? lol. I kid. 

--
Owner, the NEW Larl Valley:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hunters%20XXX/168/64/22
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
6 years ago
1,895 posts

I found the second season most enjoyable.  Spent oodles of time googling different characters to see how close the show comes to reality and learned quite a bit about a period of time I don't really know much about.

Looking forward to season three!

--
6 years ago
359 posts

Let's see, Mansur...not exactly PM, but Lady Conyngham, who became the firm bulwark between George IV's natural indolence and Wellington's desire that George do his day job, was at Lady Richmond's ball, too.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
5 years ago
359 posts

A little disappointed by the characterization of Victoria's older half-sister so far. In life, apparently the relationship was one of genuine fondness on both sides.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,895 posts

Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi:

A little disappointed by the characterization of Victoria's older half-sister so far. In life, apparently the relationship was one of genuine fondness on both sides.

Interesting you should mention that, Tiamat.  I just found this related article Who Was Princess Fedora? .

--
5 years ago
359 posts

Also interesting is the article about Lord Palmerston attached to Feodora's! Actually, I have just managed to waste a good half-hour, following the links on that site.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch

updated by @tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi: 19 Feb 2019 11:48:45AM