Living History
Donate to LHVW

Getting Clean, the Tudor Way

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
6 years ago
1,894 posts

A historian attempts to follow Tudor hygiene with a daily regime of linen underwear.

Getting Clean.jpeg

"Many modern writers have presumed that without hot soapy water being regularly applied to bodies, Tudor England must have been a place inhabited by people who smelt like the long-term homeless. Much play has been made about the difference between beautiful clothes on the surface and an imagined filth and stench on the inside. I would refute that reading of the situation."

Getting Clean, the Tudor Way

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
6 years ago
1,894 posts

This is interesting! Just have to love Ruth Goodman.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
5 years ago
359 posts

I am now recalling the absolute requirement, when I was a child, of wearing a slip under my dresses, and the cotton undershirts that my father considered essential for himself through most of his life. I have not owned such a thing as a slip since my teens, and suspect this has quite a lot to do with the purchase of our first fully automatic washing machine in the early 70's. I should talk to my mother about that!

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch