Living History
Donate to LHVW

Site News: Monetizing / Advertising

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

So what's up with the advertising on this site?

Most of the money necessary to keep this site running comes from donations and we're very fortunate to have a community willing to contribute towards this upkeep.  This site is truly a labour of love and is never-ever-ever going to be a money maker, our goal is to cover costs.

As costs have risen, I've been looking at other ways to make ends meet, Monetization / Advertising being one of the more obvious.  I thought it might be beneficial for everyone to know how the different advertising works.

Fitbit Affiliate:

Fitbit is honestly one of my favourite things so I happy to promote it as an affiliate. LHVW receives 12% of any sales made after following a Fitbit link.

Amazon Affiliate:

LHVW receives a small percentage (starting at 4% on a sliding scale) of any sale made from the American site  Amazon com or the Canadian site Amazon ca after following one of our links.  An interesting point; your purchase does not have to be related to the link you followed.  If you plan to do any shopping on Amazon going through one of our is a painless way to contribute to this site.

Google Adsense:

Google Adsense pays out in two main ways:

Views

LHVW receives revenue for Advertisements that are displayed on the site.  Right now this amounts to an average of about USD$0.02 a day.  One of the reasons this is so low is that I just can't bring myself to display Ads in prime spots (like a banner at the very top of the page).  I'd really rather highlight our own content.  I have, however, increased the number of Adsense Ads throughout the site so we'll see how it goes.

Clicks

LHVW receives revenue for Advertisements that are followed (clicked).  Google is really fussy about this (so fussy that I've always been scared to even talk about it) and they have algorithms to determine if the clicks generated from a site are valid.  If you are genuinely interested in an Adsense Ad, clicking on it will contribute revenue to this site.

Questions?  Comments?  Concerns? Other ideas for Advertising Revenue? 

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 14 Nov 2016 08:05:38AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

Waves to my fellow Canadians :)

I've just added the Canadian site Amazon ca .  Any purchases made after following that link will contribute towards LHVW.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
5 years ago
359 posts

What is the current state of the exchequer, Tatiana? It occurs to me that it's been a while since I donated.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi:

What is the current state of the exchequer, Tatiana? It occurs to me that it's been a while since I donated.

At some point back in 2017 the Exchequer threw up her hands in horror and stomped out of the treasury never to be seen again.  I believe I heard her mumbling something about "vanity project website" on the way out the door :)

All kidding aside, we haven't held a fundraiser since 2016 and I've recently revised the memberships so that once a supporter/sponsor always a supporter/sponsor.  Even though annual fundraisers are no more, donations are always gratefully accepted.  You can learn more about ways to do that at Donate.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed their time and/or dollars to LHVW over the years!

--

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 01 May 2019 08:53:23AM
5 years ago
359 posts

Done!

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi:

Done!

Merci beaucoup, Tiamat! :)

--
5 years ago
359 posts

De rien.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch