Living History
Donate to LHVW

Site News: HELP NEEDED with Site Cleanup!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,894 posts

Hello Everyone

We're finally making a move!! See Site News: Looks Like We'll be Moving! for details.

As the monthly cost of this new community hosting service will largely be dependent on the amount of data we want to move/maintain we've got some cleaning up to do. According to NING stats we're currently using approximately 20GB of data and it would be great if we could reduce that by getting rid of "stale" information.

Site cleanup is always a big job that is fraught with peril.

I would ask all members to look at the information they currently have posted, decide if it's still relevant and consider deleting anything that is wildly outdated. Here are some suggestions:

Merchants: Please remove your old advertisements. Anything more than a year of two old should probably go.

Group Owners: Over time we have amassed anumber of Groups that have been set up but are not currently being used. If you are the Creator or Administrator of such a group please consider removing it. You can find more information about Group Deletionsat Manage Your Group . If you have trouble with the removal process you can contact me to do the deed.

I'll also be looking at deleting groups where the founders are no longer active on the site and/or membership is low.

Duplicate Accounts: Now is a good time to remove any duplicates you don't want any longer. Please see Leave a Ning Network for instructions. Removing your content is a personal decision but you may want to leave your contributions on the site. You do NOT have to remove your content.

Stale Accounts: If a member hasn't logged on in ages their accounts will be removed. If you are aware of members that are no longer involved with Royal Courts but have not removed their memberships, you can contact me.

Any questions? Just give me a shout! Thanks!!

Tat

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 05 Jan 2017 05:07:41AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,894 posts

I've deleted all the members that haven't logged in since 2011. I figured it was a pretty safe call that they wouldn't mind but I send my apologies to any long-time lurkers that still wanted an account. You can always create a new one on the new site. When I get more time I'll be reviewing 2012 next.

I've also deleted some old groups which appeared to be abandoned i.e. no action on them for years.

On the creative side, I've installed the skeleton for our new site and will be working to customize it (plus learning all the ropes of a new system - good times!!)

If all goes smoothly I'd like to make the move with the next month so please concentrate on your own cleanup efforts.

How's it going? Made any progress?

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Leopoldina
@leopoldina
8 years ago
280 posts

I'm interested in seeing examples of websites made with Jamroom, but I couldn't find any, do you have any links?

Can't wait to see how the new website will look!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,894 posts

Jamroom is ultra flexible where site design is concerned so all the sites produced can vary wildly by individual taste.

Take a look at the Jamroom Demos to see some of the variations.

I'm going to start with a site that looks a lot like this one and then go from there. For one thing it will get us ported over sooner, for another it will be more familiar to current members and help alleviate any shock from the move.

--
Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
8 years ago
358 posts

First, I'd like to take the time to thank you Tatiana for all the work you do for all us keeping this site and now the new one, available for all of us to use!

I peeked at the new server and it looks great.

I'll go through some older items and see what I can get rid of.

Thank you again for all you do!

Leena :-)

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,894 posts

You're very welcome, Leena :)

I'm really excited about this move. We've been in a bit of a holding pattern with Ning 2.0 but soon we'll be able to expand our horizons!

Good luck with the cleanup.

--
Leopoldina
@leopoldina
8 years ago
280 posts

Oh that sounds wonderful Tat, looking forward to the new home!