Queen's Hamlet
Donate to LHVW

QH Brag About Your "Firsts" v2

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,894 posts

The first time you do something is often quite memorable so here's a spot where we can share our QH Co-op accomplishments.

Given that we're all just starting out there should be many so go ahead and brag a bit!

This is a continuation of "QH Brag About Your "Firsts" v1"

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 11 Aug 2020 03:57:44AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,894 posts

TatianaDokuchicFirst Kalana 5.jpg

FINALLY got my first Kalana 5!!

I have three Kalana Trees that I care for/harvest on a regular basis and this is the first & last (so far) Kalana 5.  At least I know it's possible now :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
6 years ago
1,894 posts

It's been ages since I posted a first (well 2 years anyway) so I'm delighted to show off the very first "Queen's Hamlet" bag of cocoa.  Look, it has our appellation and everything!!

TatianaDokuchicFirst QH Cocoa.png

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
6 years ago
1,894 posts

TatianaDokuchicTarsk.png

Definitely a case of "never say never"; I am now raising pigs (tarsks).

Having embraced my role as a butcher I promptly set out to produce bacon.  Did you know that bacon can only be made from pig meat?  Here I sit on an ever expanding mountain of goat (verr) meat and I cannot make bacon.  Heavy sigh ...

On the bright side, this gave me an opportunity to learn all about tarsks.  They come in three sizes (dwarf, common & giant) and common females are REALLY hard to find in the usual markets.  After much searching I came up with this pair, a brown sow and a spotted boar.  Their offspring won't be purebreds but what the heck, they were never going to win any beauty contests anyway. 

I also learned how to make Tarsk Feeders which require two portions of verr meat so at least I'm recycling some of my mountain in my quest for bacon.  Chocolate covered bacon here we come ...

Actually I'm growing quite fond of this pair and have been considering naming them.  They have quite a long life expectancy so may be around for the next two months.  Suggestions for names are welcome! :)

--
Abbondio Rezzonico
@abbondio-rezzonico
6 years ago
39 posts

Similar story here, albeit not for the bacon. A week or so ago I saved a couple of dwarf pigs (tarsks) from a literal death market. Four males and a female, now named Rossalina (red), Bianco (white), Screziato (mottled) Pancetto and Prosciutto (both pink). Now we have the first pink male baby, which my sister named Peppone. Getting the hang of it, I bought very cheaply (3L) two mottled females Screziata and Bruna, the latter turned out pregnant, so now we have a female baby: Porchetta.

Never thought we keep some livestock either. But these are somehow cute. We have brought them to a farming couple in Magritte, where they are in a pen with plenty food and water. We might just continue this. The larger ones are a step too far, the giants are literally too huge...

--
Abbondio Rezzonico
Banker, Merchant & Vintner
@ Rocca Sorrentina
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
6 years ago
1,894 posts

Love the names, Abbondio! You're herd is growing at a fairly rapid pace :)

--