Queen's Hamlet
Donate to LHVW

QH: What are you producing? What do you require?

Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
7 years ago
58 posts

Una wrote:

I'm curious, within our group, if most everyone is growing everything they need, or have we ended up specializing to some extent. I grow grain, rence, rice and kalana, and raise chickens. I want to get more into woodworking and smithing but want to be buying supplies from the group. When I cook, I like to buy supplies too. I wondered if we knew what folks needed we could have those out for the Fresh Market / Farmer's market day, and perhaps also a (what to call it...) supplies market day, for those selling wood, tools, and such. Each market could also have a épicerie fine (if I found the right words), a deli for cooked foods?

I took the liberty of turning Una's comment into a discussion ~ Tat

--
Una (Unalunaqat Resident)
Madame D'Qat
Ferme sur Mer (Sea View Farm), Queen's Hamlet
Villa Toscana,LL, Rocca Sorrentina

updated by @una-lunaqat: 11 Aug 2020 03:57:44AM
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
7 years ago
264 posts

For my part, I've decided to try the DFS system. I guess I was a bit disappointed with the issues with the verr/goat breeding, and haven't been super-happy with the extra-crafty direction the system seems to have turned. Those are just my issues, though. I'm really enjoying the DFS and will be letting you all know how it goes, and slowly selling my G&S stock over time too. I seem to have built up rather a supply ("hoarded" isn't the word I want ... is it??). I got to where I was growing a lot of grain and grapes and kalana and a few rence plants; I had chicken and I had a good-sized verr operation (3 males, 6 females with each male, I specialized in white purebred and moved the babies I kept around to not concentrate genes too much). I had four trees; I was not very diligent about harvesting them, but it gave me a good supply of XL logs for when buckets were needed. From fishing and sales at both our and the G&S coop markets I built up a good balance of coin, and although I mined iron some, I found a very good source for bulk ingots and enjoyed learning to make my own master tools and maintaining them. However, it's so hard to move beyond doing enough to sustain yourself except in a few areas, for me that was selling verr and verr byproducts, making wine, and cooking some while fishing. Re: market ... I really don't know what I think, but I'm happy to sell. And I also prefer to buy at the Queen's coop, though also I really like buying in bulk for price and because I never seem to be able to do things by halves.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,889 posts

The idea behind the "QH Manager" is to generate demand.  The manager will buy only with coins and tries to spread sales between QH Members that are selling out of vendors in the QH Market.  This works to a certain extend but is limited by what can actually be resold which fluctuates wildly.

I believe that most of the cooking staples are available for coins in the QH Market.  In my experience they don't sell all that quickly so we started selling in bulk as well though that is usually for L$.  Perhaps bulk cooking staples sold for coins would be an idea?

Milk is now tricky to sell because of the expiry date.  I have lots of it and would be happy to sell in bulk for coins if there is a demand.

There seems to be a demand for:

• All variety of tools made by the blacksmith - it's actually hard to keep these in stock
  • Iron ingots, scrap metal, scrap wood, nails
  • Boxes (especially D, F & G)
  • Bulk Grain (50 or 100)
  • Kalana 1. 4. 5
  • Rence 3
  • Salt

Not sure about baskets & jars as most people seem to be making their own.  What do others think?

We've been trying to encourage "Fresh" Weekends so that people don't have to process their items.  I'm still looking for more ideas on that.  The two carts at the front of the market are designated for fresh items and I would be happy to send out notices when people have fresh goods to sell.

Elisabeth mentioned the DFS system and I'm all for selling that out of the QH Market as well.  I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

Thanks for starting this conversation, Una.  I'm looking forward to hearing from other members :)

Updated: Added more items in demand as I though of them.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 08 Aug 2017 08:23:31AM
Mansur Marawi
@mansur-marawi
7 years ago
62 posts

What is the DFS system? 

I am just dipping a toe into Unity Empire, myself. I chose it because it seemed to allow for more customization while being less Gor-oriented than other systems.

--
Owner, the NEW Larl Valley:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hunters%20XXX/168/64/22
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,889 posts

Mansur Marawi:

What is the DFS system? 

I am just dipping a toe into Unity Empire, myself. I chose it because it seemed to allow for more customization while being less Gor-oriented than other systems.

It's the brand-new Digital Farming System .  Elisabeth has been trying the beta system and seems to be enjoying it.  Perhaps she will post more about it.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,889 posts

Lady Hartfield:

I guess I was a bit disappointed with the issues with the verr/goat breeding, and haven't been super-happy with the extra-crafty direction the system seems to have turned. 

I wasn't all that pleased with the verr breeding issues myself.  I had just reduced my flock (from having purebreds of every colour) to a modest four colours and the breeding bug put a damper on my new breeding direction.  I never did manage to get any help with it but fortunately it seems to have worked itself out now.

With renewed enthusiasm, I'm now trying to breed a "rare" verr using a multi-breed male & my purebred stock.

I'm still trying to access the impact of the "extra-crafty" direction.  Mostly I've adjusted but I really do miss being able to buy/sell things like seafood individually for coins.  Selling one salted lobster in a basket is just overkill so everyone has switched to selling in bulk and because of the extra steps involved (getting a box/basket, getting salt) mostly everyone is selling for L$.  Not sure Sombra anticipated that.

--
ardrhys
@ardrhys
7 years ago
16 posts

So what advice would you have for someone who may like to try their hand with verr?

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
7 years ago
1,889 posts

ardrhys:

So what advice would you have for someone who may like to try their hand with verr?

Raising goats is a lot of fun!  You'll find Sombra's general instructions here .  At the most basic level you just have to keep them fed & watered.

Also check out the Adpot-a-Goat program if you'd like some starter goats :)

I end up devising some amusing personal challenges with mine.  The first was to start with a pair of multi-cross verr and see how many colours I could breed (8 out of 9 - I never managed to breed a Northern from scratch).

Then I played with raising all 9 original colours using the least number of feeders (5 feeders).

Now that two additional colours have been added, I'm trying my hand at raising a "rare" verr using a male multi-cross and my stock of purebred females.

If you have any specific questions just yell!

--

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 10 Aug 2017 08:33:03AM