Living History
Donate to LHVW

Historical RP: Exploring Different Types of Roleplay

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,894 posts

When discussing Historical RP/Sim : How to get new people and retain existing the topic of different types of roleplay came up and I thought the subject was worth exploring in more depth.  Here's a chance to talk about your favourite RP styles, how your preferences have evolved over the years, and what you think works in today's Historical RP environment.

I'm all ears!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,894 posts

I'll get the ball rolling with this post from Louis

wiseboyqc:

Tatiana Dokuchic:

I'm quite enjoying these conversations not only because they broaden my perspective but they help me to better define the environment I'm managing. Abbondio mentions "light" roleplay, Sombra, creator of G&S, talks about "active" roleplay. The term roleplay has been stuck in my head for over a decade with regard to historic estates and it has certain negative connotations which I continue to challenge.

I totally agree with you that sometimes the definitions of the Roleplay is very hard to understand and I would like to add some comparision with existing games of the industry.

First, the aspect of of crafting, gathering and farming so either G&S or ACS or Unity is called Sandbox. (remember FarmVille on facebook) Sandboxing is part of many other games and is considered a very interesting way to keep people active and give them incentive to either upgrade themselves or make money.

Second, in MMORPG worlds, we most of the time use the term CASUAL to describe people who play the game lightly. So they are not dedicated to the game all the time and when they come online they enjoy being part of it but they don't seek to be the top of the elite. I really like this term as I see it in SL as people who are not doing Para-RP and when roleplaying they almost sound OOC but keep in period discussion.

I also like the terme of Historical accurate RolePlay, as it was in Versailles and other, and would describe as people who prefer to stick to a character that really existed (or movie characters) and stick to history and attitude this character had (Or.... they think they had... because how can you really know the additude of someone dead 400 years ago only by reading probaganda agains't them???). This kind of Roleplay are usually the most stricts out there and are very scripted.

Pamus say it before, the learning curve is huge for someone who join SL, and for me historical accurate roleplay are adding too much to get involve as you need to study history BEFORE you can play there. I know people who join historical sims should have a basic interest in history but there is a major difference between liking a time period and wanting to pretend to be part of it then having to know all the "current" plots and events that happened in that period of time with accuracy. Also to come back on Para-RP, I would add this to learning curve that is not always at the reach of everyone. For myself, english is not my first language (Yes we know...) but I'm not either a novel reader, and having to write one when I play is very time consuming and I know I'm not the only one out there who feel this way so when you setup a Role Play and request for Para-RP (= Every post should be a paragraphe with feeling, description and actual comment.) this that it will act as a filter on the player you will get.

So for me the futur lies in sandboxing and casual roleplay, where you can come and join easily without requirements other then being dress in period and try to avoid modern talks. Over time people will get more into their role and learn more about the historical aspect they are in and it will become better and better. But till it's achieve, everyone can have great fun together.

And I agree with you Abbondio most in the past were title and power angry peoples and historical roleplay tend to bring those up as everyone want to be Marie-Antoinette ;), and with Tatiana that managing a roleplay should be easy enough to allow management to play the game too, those are two major concern I had and is why the Antiquity HUD bring more of the MORPG and manage titles and will work with no to minimal the need of admins. This I hope should make us drama free and be FAIR to everyone who join.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 01 May 2019 01:38:10PM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,894 posts

So for me the futur lies in sandboxing and casual roleplay, where you can come and join easily without requirements other then being dress in period and try to avoid modern talks. Over time people will get more into their role and learn more about the historical aspect they are in and it will become better and better. But till it's achieve, everyone can have great fun together.

This is the model I've always promoted.  In the beginning I did this purely for selfish reasons as it suits my personality.  I'm very interested in historical details but the thought of starting out in a new group, where I'm sure to make a faux-pas with my very first gesture, just gives me hives.  I'm also interested in getting to know & interacting with people of the community, not just their RP persona, but also the typist underneath.  I don't mind walking the line between IC & OOC though I do make somewhat of an effort to act appropriately in certain RP situations.

Having said that, I'd love to hear from someone like Ekaterina ( @ekaterina-vorontsova-dashkova ) who is currently running a historical RP complete with some very interesting plot-lines.  How do you partition the workload?  Do you have different people providing the infrastructure (buildings etc.) and the stories?  How much to you actually stay IC?  Do you have OOC time as well?  So many questions :)

--

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 04 May 2019 07:31:15AM
araya
@araya
5 years ago
2 posts

For me the most important thing is to keep social class differences inside RP as they used to be

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,894 posts

araya:

For me the most important thing is to keep social class differences inside RP as they used to be

Can you elaborate on this, Araya?  Are you saying that there currently are some situations where people are trying to extend their RP social class "privileges" OOC?

--
araya
@araya
5 years ago
2 posts

No the oposite ..i think people act like they have no privilage at all

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,894 posts

araya:

Ohhh … I think I understand.  RPers are ignoring the social hierarchies and are all behaving as equals.

Well I can see how that can happen, in fact I set up the QH Co-op backstory to allow for just that but I agree it depends on the specific RP you're involved in.

Personally I'm uncomfortable RPing a distinct class structure especially in a free-form day-to-day situation even though I know it's historically accurate. There's also the problem that everyone wants to be on the top of the food chain and no one wants to be a peasant (because why would you want to be treated like dirt on a daily basis).  It's certainly a challenge for people managing a RP with social classes.

--
Abbondio Rezzonico
@abbondio-rezzonico
5 years ago
39 posts

I agree fully with Louis here, sandboxing and casual; with the difference that we (not the people... - the Rezzonico family) work with a historically accurate framework and take personal liberties in the details. 
Over the years I think I have tried most forms of roleplay in SL, but the combination above works best for me. Something to do and you can step in and out without much trouble, picking it up as you go along. It is the most relaxed way and ideal for a daily roleplay setting. 

Perhaps it is also best described as the least antagonizing for me, although that would imply that I hate roleplay. I do not - otherwise I wouldn't have lasted for so long. At the risk of sounding like old Cato: The courts were often an aggravating trial of endurance for me with the all-or-nothing-at-all-system. Either full blown event mode, where you need to keep up in a crowd, as well as plow your way through lag quicksand. Often with a scripted roleplay that nearly always failed, not only because of said lag and the subsequent recurrent crashes making key players just giving up halfway. I think we could have done a lot about it by setting limits to apparel, but everyone just liked it a little too much to walk around bedecked in prims and scripts. By the other end, the nothing-at-all, I mean the empty sims - no one around to do a regular rp that would actually develop a character and show some imagination or group bonding. It made it virtually impossible (no pun intended) to actually build up something. And what was going around often didn't surpass the style of copying films and even sitcoms. Although I can most certainly appreciate a good laugh, it does get old quickly when some duchesse repeats the same silly characteristics and quotes by the Comtesse de Vache [Let Them Eat Cake, French & Saunders] time and again; especially when that same person is a highly entitled twit with little clue about actual history - but that as a side note. *Cato exit*

Places with a casual, more daily roleplay, like we currently have in the majority are welcoming and therefore far less scary to new people. They can join in easily. The only down side may be that it does require more perseverance to actually make it work, because of a lack of strict structure. Still, when you do get settled in it is a far more enjoyable way of roleplay for most people. I do think we could do more in regards to settling more ongoing daily roleplay, as mostly we do tend to just mind our own business and interact only actively with friends and neighbours. 

Para-rp is just not for me. I either get bored waiting, or I come across a self-centered novel writer that reminds me why I do not care for it. My own sister, however, tries to interest me for GoT every now and then. She's really good at it and swears by the structure. She has good arguments, like the posting order that creates clarity and gives time for each player to think over everything instead of jumping to the next line. But I just do not care for the endless emoting and descriptions of the weather and fluttering dusty fluff in the corner of the room.
My main anecdote for rejecting it is that some years ago I was rp'ing in such a place and I got entangled in a scene with some guy who literally took his turns (and for well over an hour) not interacting but just contemplating the glass of wine in front of him. In the end I made by exit by standing up, taking his glass, emptying his glass, and throwing the glass into the fireplace with the words: 'Here, let me help you, you clearly have trouble with it.' I know it was bad form, but ever since then I steered away from para as much as I could.

PS: There's also the problem that everyone wants to be on the top of the food chain and no one wants to be a peasant (because why would you want to be treated like dirt on a daily basis)  - hm... Gor?

--
Abbondio Rezzonico
Banker, Merchant & Vintner
@ Rocca Sorrentina

updated by @abbondio-rezzonico: 06 May 2019 06:09:31PM
Abbondio Rezzonico
@abbondio-rezzonico
5 years ago
39 posts

araya:

Interesting, because it used to be so very different... haha
It would call for another discussion topic, something along the lines of 'Behaviourals. Follow the lines of History or Hollywood?' Wink

--
Abbondio Rezzonico
Banker, Merchant & Vintner
@ Rocca Sorrentina
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,894 posts

I do think we could do more in regards to settling more ongoing daily roleplay, as mostly we do tend to just mind our own business and interact only actively with friends and neighbours. 

I whole-heartedly agree with this, Abbondio.  I've been racking my brain for ways to go about this in the QH RP that are both fun and sustainable.  If anyone has ideas along these lines, I'm all ears.

And yes, I was thinking of Gor when I was talking about daily dirt ;)

--
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
5 years ago
359 posts

I have also had some frustrations with novel-writers - and more often, with co-players distracted in the middle of play by RL needs or private SL side conversations. However, in general I love para-RP. I love plotlines; I love responsive character development; I love responding in character to events dumped into the storyboard by creative team leads. It appeals to me far more than casual social time enforced by HUD-driven eating needs. Those contexts seem to be getting harder to find, though, and to schedule when I do find an interesting one.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch