Living History
Donate to LHVW

A description of The dinner at Versailles

Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
11 years ago
95 posts
Hey I found this recently it was from the diary but I found it particularly nice to read it's not much but it's enough to feed my appetite .Dinner at Versailles1781Dinner began at 7 after the hunting with the king and queen I had caught little and was more interested in other thing that day. I hardly saw the queen today she was hiding quiet well from public eyes. It was just turning 5 past and we sat down in the dining room chatter from all directions it was whispering yelling and calm at once. We would laugh aloud and nobody cared the king and queen were very relaxed that night. The started was delicious yet simple some vegetable soup and bread. I had noticed the queen did not eat much of the soup but finished her bread to the last crumb. Marie Antoinette wore a beautiful blue with White ribbons loose dress it suited her well and she had little powder on as did some of the other ladies many admired her new earrings they were lovely small pearl and diamond ones they must have costed a good bit. The king wore a nice dark blue with White also they were like matching shoes and very cute together. They seemed to show a loving relationship to my eye but I couldn't help but wonder... Are they in love for real she seemed so bored with him a few months back. Oh and those little ((censored)) B******s of dogs that Adelaide brought with her keep chewing on my shoe. At the main was duck and chicken with some souffle and a mixture of veg it was tasty yet very dry veg. Marie had ate all her main unlike when she is in public just picking at the food . And for dessert we had a mixture of fruit((boiled fruit always)) macaroons cakes and pastries i loved all of the dessert and we finished the night with champagne and rushed over to different side to speak with each other before heading off to bed at eleven. When heading to bed the queen seemed pleased and gave the king a hug and kiss as we left he seemed awkward as it was a quick surprise but he eventually hugged her back with a sweet kiss goodnight and they leftG.I loved this it really shows the happiness in the marriage of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI. It was sweet and loving and with an insiders opinion I hope you liked itYours truly Georgiana Marie Alice G.
updated by @georgiana-fitzherbert-grace: 06 Oct 2016 06:18:41AM
Marie Gerje2
@marie-gerje2
11 years ago
3 posts

I love contemporary descriptions of events and daily life too!

Here is one about the day of their wedding:

"At this moment all Paris is at Versailles. The people have been coming on foot since daybreak. The citizens have been arriving, some on hired horses, some in cabs, some in carriages from livery stables. The park is thronged by an immense crowd. Alas! The sad omens are about to be renewed. At three in the afternoon the sky is overcast by clouds Rain pours down in torrents. The thunder rumbles. Every one seeks shelter.

But if the approaches to the chateau are dismal in the evening, it is dazzling within. All the splendors of aristocracy riches luxury and the fine arts are accumulated there."

from: http://marie-antoinettequeenoffrance.blogspot.com/2011/04/wedding-fever-do-we-all-have-it.html

Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
11 years ago
95 posts
Ooohh thanks cherie that was lovely I love that description