Living History
Donate to LHVW

Interest in the English Restoration

John Wilmot Earl of Rochester
@john-wilmot-earl-of-rochester
10 years ago
27 posts

Are there any members interested in an English reformation role-play ? I would like to hear from people interested in forming a group based around the life of John Wilmot Earl of Rochester. Something based on a cross between Restoration comedy and the social changes of the time as witnessed by Samuel Pepys.

The period between 1660 and 1680 and 1680 (The year of Wilmots death ) cover some of the most interesting times in English history in terms of the arts and social changes . It is at this time we see the beginnings of Modern England and the rise of the middle classes.

I hope to keep the group small at first and then see how it progresses . I am creating Wilmots hunting lodge at Woodstock palace where he spent his time away from the court. There will be plenty of opportunity for witty and interesting role-play .

So come all ye Gallants , Bawds, Courtesans , Men and Ladies of letters , and those of the Middling sort interested to make a name for themselves in the new popular prints .

John Wilmot 2nd. Earl of Rochester .

updated by @john-wilmot-earl-of-rochester: 23 Oct 2016 12:20:00AM
Sidonie Laborde
@sidonie-laborde
10 years ago
83 posts
Its definatley an interesting time period and something that doesnt exist right now. Its quite funny that I watched "The libertine" on sunday and now ur speaking about this idea^^So I guess ur planning something more countrylife based? What about roles? U want to stick entirely to historical characters or non historical ones too?Do you have any concret plans for ur roleplay yet?
10 years ago
27 posts

Hello

Thanks for your comment. I have not yet seen the movie I shall have to . I have watched a few reformation comedies and read Pepys and John Aubrey who give a good flavour of the period

I was thinking that a small place in the countryside would be better in terms of space and my building abilities . Ideally Whitehall palace would be a good place to rp . As for roles I think both historical or fictional will be acceptable although having said that there are a lot of colourful historical roles to choose from . I think a less strict policy on roles will be a good way to proceed .

I will create a group in SL for those interested , and then I was thinking full rp can start towards the end of August .

10 years ago
27 posts

I thank you both Gentlemen for your interest . You Your grace as your ancient title was I think created during the restoration or just before . And you Mr Gandt thank you for your comments . I should have thought the dissolute lifestyle of a restoration rake would be suited to your lifestyle. Your idea of a performance of a comedy by Messer's Congrave, Etheridge or their contemporaries is inspired . I think it may be something to aim for in the future .

Wilmot .