Living History
Donate to LHVW

FREE épée de cour at Versailles!

Henri Louis Marie de Rohan
@henri-louis-marie-de-rohan
13 years ago
192 posts

6324981891_70d24ea059_z.jpg

As most people (especially here) will be aware, the wearing of an pe de cour or dress sword was a requirement of etiquette at Versailles - visitors who arrived without could even rent one from the palace concierge, who made a tidy profit doing so!

In the spirit of historical accuracy, however, the Versailles 1772 team have decided to offer an pe de cour for FREE to all courtiers!

Small swords were used as status symbols and fashion accessories; for most of the 18th century anyone, civilian or military, with pretensions to gentlemanly status would have worn a small sword on a daily basis.

As a rule, the blade of a small sword is comparatively short at around 0.6 to 0.85 metre (24 to 33 in), though some reach over 0.9 metres (35 in) - given the size of most avatars, our blade is 0.84m long. The pe de cour often lacked a cutting edge - used as symbol rather than actual weapon. Hence our pe de cour is non-functional and attaches to the left hip.

The pe de cour is modify, no copy, no transfer and can be found near the Info Hub at the Chteau de Versailles. If anyone would like me to send them a copy, please just IM me in-world!

updated by @henri-louis-marie-de-rohan: 06 Oct 2016 06:10:08AM
MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
13 years ago
647 posts

Lovely darling! Where would the men be without you..? Well, probably the same place but without a sword.. Hhmmh, what was my point again?

Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
13 years ago
263 posts

they would not have stylish shoes, sedan chairs and fancy furniture!! does that ring a bell ? :D

13 years ago
192 posts

Good to know I am appreciated darling! Kiss kiss!

*smacks Bonzac with the back of his fan*

13 years ago
192 posts

Ah merci! Hope you stride with an extra swagger!