Living History
Donate to LHVW

Corset Wearer’s Organs Illuminated by MRI

Claudia Anne d'Uthiel
@claudia-anne-duthiel
10 years ago
29 posts

I am following a group of american reenacters and came accross this interesting article!

'' German medical doctor and TV sensation Dr. Eckhart von Hirschhausen took it upon himelf to study the inside of a tightlacer in his October 2nd episode of his gameshow, Hirschhausens Quiz Des Menschen ''

'' Internationally acclaimed burlesque artist Eden Berlin volunteered to be studied, wearing a specialized tightlacing corset made by Korsettmanufactur TO.mTO . The magnetic pull in an MRI machine is so strong that it is capable of ripping steel out of corsets and through flesh soTonia Merz, the corsetiere behind TO.m.O, explained how she used non-metal boning and other non-ferrous hardware in the corset so as not to endanger Eden during imaging.''

Article with pictures and explanation here : Screen-Shot-2014-10-08-at-11.04.20-AM.png

http://lucycorsetry.com/2014/10/08/corset-organs-mri/

updated by @claudia-anne-duthiel: 06 Oct 2016 06:31:48AM
Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
10 years ago
313 posts

Pull on those laces, ladies!

Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
10 years ago
359 posts

Decidedly uncomfortable just thinking about it! There are reasons that I prefer the gowns of the Regency period to those of Victoria's time, and breathing and digestion are certainly among them.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
10 years ago
359 posts

Indeed. Plastic surgery isn't really a modern craze.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Claudia Anne d'Uthiel
@claudia-anne-duthiel
10 years ago
29 posts

Ive seen once there was a story about ladies at the victorian era who would swallow a tapeworm in order to stay slim... i really hope it wasnt true...

Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
10 years ago
313 posts

It is true. And I heard an interview on NPR recently about a man who deliberately infected himself with hookworm to cure chronic allergies. Makes a tight corset look better and better!