Living History
Donate to LHVW

The Greater Taste

Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
12 years ago
95 posts
Hello all and firstly merry Christmas to all and now this is my first blog on my passion of cooking I love cooking so I will include French recipes Irish Chinese and such in this blog every few days so to beginI love turkey or chicken with christmas dinner so let's have frnwch traditional turkey recipeRoasted Maple Orange Glazed TurkeyThis roasted turkey is the perfect main coarse for a special occasion or gathering. Try serving it with Roasted Sage Potatoes and Orange Vinaigrette Glazed Beets.Cook's note: This speed-roasting method requires that the turkey is cooked for 10 minutes per pound - adjust accordingly for your bird.Ingredients:3 white onions, quartered2 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces1 13-14 lb turkey, rinsed and patted dry1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened2 tablespoons olive oil1/2 teaspoon salt1/2 cup pure maple syrup1/4 cup orange juice1 teaspoon orange zest1/3 cup dry white wine2/3 cup chicken stockPreparation:Preheat an oven to 450F. Combine the onions, celery, and carrots and place them along the sides of a large metal roasting pan. Place the turkey in the center of the vegetables. In a small bowl, thoroughly mix together the pepper, thyme, sage, and butter. Cut a few 1-inch slits in the turkey skin, and gently spread the herbed butter under the skin. Rub the turkey with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast uncovered for 20 minutes.While the turkey begins to roast, stir together the maple syrup, orange juice, and orange zest. Once the turkey has roasted, uncovered for 20 minutes, glaze it with the maple-orange mixture and loosely tent foil over the bird, crimping the ends firmly to the edges of the pan. Roast the turkey for an additional 2 hours, basting it with the pan drippings every 20 minutes. The turkey is done when a digital thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 170F.Remove the roast from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Remove the turkey from the pan and tent it with foil to keep warm. Discard the vegetables and then skim the fat from the pan juices. Transfer the skimmed pan juices to a separate bowl. Place the metal roasting pan over medium heat on the stovetop, and then deglaze it with the white wine. After the wine has simmered for 30 seconds, add the pan juices and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. The gravy is done when it has thickened and reduced in volume.This recipe gives a great kick to the original it gives a great flavour and sometimes rather juicyTune in tomorrow for my "Ginger bread trifle"Au revoir
updated by @georgiana-fitzherbert-grace: 06 Oct 2016 06:16:59AM
Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
12 years ago
95 posts
Oh and please leave some comments to tell we what you think