Donate to LHVW

Site News: Looks Like We'll be Moving!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,900 posts

Hello Everyone

Some interesting developments on the NING front:

First - they've more than doubled our subscription fees!! We're now looking at $59 monthly or $588 Annual. See Notice of Upcoming Price Changes to Ning 2.0 Networks

Second - the company that ran NING (Glam Media/Mode) shut down suddenly and NING has been taken over. See Exciting News About Ning + Cyndx LLC

I had a feeling that something like this was coming so instead of doing an annual renewal when the subscription came due in July we've switched to monthly payments instead.

We've also held off on the annual fundraising drive but thanks to ongoing fundraising (Decades take a bow!!) during the year we're ok financially for the next few months .

Our data was archived back in May (excluding photos & videos) and we'll look at doing another backup soon. Our seven years of history is therefore relatively safe.

It certainly seems that now is the time to make a move off of NING. I've been investigating Jamroom for a while now and it continues to look like a good fit. I intend to start a more in-depth study, including a free trial soon.

The monthly cost of this new community hosting service will largely be dependent on the amount of data we want to move/maintain. According to NING stats we're currently using approximately 20GB of data. A cleanup of stale information should go a ways towards getting our monthly costs down so I'll be launching some housekeeping initiatives that the general membership can help with.

Stay tuned for exciting new developments! Questions/comments, give me a shout!

Tat

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 04 Oct 2016 04:07:56AM