The Workings of the Banco Rezzonico (in G&S economy)
By: Abbondio Rezzonico
Posted in: Banco Rezzonico (G&S)
* BANCO REZZONICO *
fondata nel 1634
TASSI e SERVIZI FINANZIARI
(rates and services)
Dated - April 1st 
By this publication the BANCO REZZONICO presents its current rates and services to the population of the Baroque Community of Second Life; currently restricted to the citizens and merchants of Rocca Sorrentina, Magritte and the Duché de Coeur (including the Queen's Hamlet). And we invite all considering to open an account to make an appointment with us. During a private meeting at the bank we shall do our best to answer all your questions and see what services might benefit your household and/or business.
With kind regards,
Abbondio & Anna Rezzonico
The Banco Rezzonico was founded in the first half of the 17th century in the city of Venezia by the family Della Torre di Rezzonico, then wealthy merchants and upcoming patricians of La Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia - the Venetian Republic. Now an established bank of well over 150 years, it is part of the Rezzonico holding which consists of a mercantile fleet, a network of trade agencies all over Europe, etc. The Rezzonico family has made herself a factor of power and influence; and of status, as about 20 years one of their scions was elected to lead the Holy See. The Venetians are a different kind of noble: They are very aware of their position and enjoy the status and luxury, but deplore idleness and bad economics.
Since some time the Banco Rezzonico has a roleplay-active (and G&S-related) office in the barony of Magritte. The bank holds over a dozen accounts of local citizens, merchants, and artisans. We are not only a rp-partner in their story, but also function as an intermediate for their banking affairs - stretching from paying wages to staff to paying bills. Each account is therefore meticulously administrated. With this the Banco Rezzonico is acting as a real bank within a roleplay setting.
The -ONLY- authorized and validly acting bankers of the Banco Rezzonico are:
- Don ABBONDIO DELLA TORRE, Conte di REZZONICO [eszterhazy2 resident]
- Donna ANNA DELLA TORRE, Contessa di REZZONICO [reinettebellefleur resident]
No others will speak or act for our bank, and we shall not take responsibility for any actions by others that claim to do so without our permission.
The Banco Rezzonico is a Venetian bank and by default follows the currency of La Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia: the LIRA. This coin is in the 'verbal' use (an from hereon in this document) for the G&S-Coin. As in: 1 (one) G&S-Coin = 1 (one) LIRA
For the purpose and promotion of inter-communal trade within the RPG-estates where the Banco Rezzonico is active, we accept the different local currencies on a value of equality:
The French Barony of Magritte - 1 (one) Livre = 1 (one) Lira
The French Duché de Coeur (including the Queen's Hamlet) - 1 (one) Livre = 1 (one) Lira
The Neapolitan island of Rocca Sorrentina - 1 (one) Piastra = 1 (one) Lira
EXCHANGE OF COINS
The following rate of G&S Coins/L$ is valid per this notice:
350 lira per 1 L$ (linden dollar)
NB: A reverse exchange is at this moment not yet possible, but might be considered an option for the future, depending on the economy and options for both the bank and its clients.
EXCHANGE OF GOLD
The following sums of G&S Coins we provided for the 'standard gold products' within the G&S-system:
125 lira for 1 basket of gold ore (5)
245 lira for 1 basket of gold ore (10)
290 lira per 1 ingot of gold
580 lira per 1 coffer of gold (20)
- Each registered account at the Banco Rezzonico will receive interest.
- Per this date [above] the annual rate of interest is 4,5 (four-and-a-half) percent
- At the first day of each month this interest will be calculated in proportion over the closing balance of the last day of the month, and credited to the account.
- New accounts need to be at least 15 (fifteen) days old, before they shall receive interest over the first month.
The Banco Rezzonico will charge a MONTHLY fee for her provided services, and this will be registered on your account-statement. The current rates are, for accounts with a balance of:
- under 25,000 lira - 50 lira
- 25,000 to 50,000 lira - 100 lira
- 50,000 t0 75,000 lira - 150 lira
LOANS & INVESTMENTS
The Banco Rezzonico will consider granting loans and/or investments to entrepreneurs individual and within cooperations, within the RPGs where she is active, whether it be a starting capital or extra funding to support an existing business. Sponsoring for projects is also an option.
For this we invite candidates to our office to present their plans and discuss the options. It would, for example, be possible to repay loans with profits (in lira) but also with products which are the result of the issued capital.
- Withdrawals under 50,000 lira will be processed immediately, but, again, only in the Bank (for the sake of roleplay). Small sums may be handed out directly, if the banker decides otherwise.
- Withdrawals above 50,000 lira are put under delay when the banker decides so (we might not carry it, we may need to exchange ourselves). in such cases the withdrawal is delivered by appointment later, or at least within a day.
ADMINISTRATION of ACCOUNTS
- All accounts will be opened at a maximum of 50,000 lira and administered to a maximum of 75,000 lira. This is set to make sure that the Banco Rezzonico remains a roleplay-activity and not to deposit fortunes for the sake of interests.
- At the opening of a bank-account the account-holder will receive an account-statement which declares: the opening balance, deposits, withdrawals and the current saldo (closing balance)
- The account-holder has, of course, full rights over the account.
- The account-holder will receive an updated account-statement, within the first week of each month. Or at any moment he/she desires so. This account-statement is privy only to the account-holder and the bank.
- The account-holder may give authorization over the account to designated persons, and may decide under which conditions (for example limits of withdrawal per month, the transfer of wages or allowances, etc.)
- Each transaction will be registered in the account-statement.
- In case two account-holders may desire to transfer lira 'on paper' between accounts, they both either need to be present at the bank or have an authentic warrant (notecard) from the other party.
- For existing clients, when it is their wish to transfer money from their account to the account of another (i.e. for payments etc.), it is possible to do so by sending a notecard to their banker. NB: It is a necessity for both parties to be clients of the Banco Rezzonico.
- Accounts that have not been used for 40 days, i.e. no other transactions than those which are defaulted by the bank (interest and fees), will be deemed dormant; by which the bank will freeze the account until it is used again by the account-holder.
For now -ANY AND ALL SERVICES- are only available under the following conditions:
- to all active and/or residential members of Rocca Sorrentina, Magritte, and the Duché de Coeur (including the Queen's Hamlet), whether they be nobles, bourgeois, or paysans.
- Through on-SIM roleplay (needed for hud-transfer)
- The roleplay is not performed on the streets, banking rp will only be performed at an office of the Banco Rezzonico. Appointments can, of course, be made at any point. Unless the banker decides otherwise.
It is stressed that this is an initiative only the House of Della Torre di Rezzonico; meaning this is a voluntary thing, and therefore a roleplay activity independent from any management or location where the Banco Rezzonico is active. We - the Banco Rezzonico - offer our services at our own discretion and willingness, and therefore also reserve the right to refuse. In no way bears any other management, but that of the Banco Rezzonico, responsibility for it.
The Banco Rezzonico reviews her rates and services regularly, updated versions are always published. The latest version can be obtained in our office(s) and/or by request from one the bankers.
Many thanks for this information, Abbondio. I'm really looking forward to expanding our roleplay with your banking activity.
"The roleplay is not performed on the streets, banking rp will only be performed at an office of the Banco Rezzonico."
I'm having a good laugh at this statement because it expresses so wonderfully my own RP shortcomings. I'm always buzzing around between multiple activities which means I find it difficult to actually focus and pay my debts. It once took me four (perhaps six?) months to pay Satoharu for a set of tools and I'm always asking people to meet me somewhere (psssttt .... can you meet me behind the barn ...) on short notice for the transfer of coins.
Banking with you will be so much more civilized!
I will send out a notice to the QH Group and arrange to meet with you to open the QH Co-op Account.
It could have been 6 months, but I knew she was good for it.... eventually.
It could have been 6 months, but I knew she was good for it.... eventually.
You bet! It was after this incident that I started yelling "PUT IT IN A VENDOR BOX" so I'm delighted to have banking services as another alternative.
Adding to all this, perhaps unnecessary, but still: The Banco Rezzonico is a fully operational but roleplaying bank in its core. Meaning: We do not aim in making an OOC-profit, it has the sole purpose for us (Rezzonico) to enrich our family's rp as true Venetian bankers, and for the sake of interaction between people that produce, trade, or otherwise interact with the G&S system.
Being a historian with an MBA in rl, to me there is an extra interest to see how an economy works within our setting. For this i wrote an economy-plan for Magritte, some time ago. However, this hasn't been finished or implemented because the system wasn't used through the classes. With the current situation it has however new potential, I am looking through my notes and wondering now if the Banco Rezzonico could perhaps have an advisory function for other RPGs within our community, to see how they can set up, use and interact with other estates.
On a side note: I still see options for other trades/professions within our community that are not particularly G&S rooted, to use the rp-coin-system. For instance, a doctor charging his consults to patients.
I've always found the economy to be a fascinating, if mostly overlooked, component of historical RP and I'd love to hear more about your economy-plan, Abbondio.
I've started a new topic, Managing A Historical RP Economy , to help facilitate our discussion as it will present the posts in a more logical fashion than this blog post does.