Ning 3.0: Time to Clean Up Groups & Members
Site News & Guidelines
Hello Mercury
My definition of an "alternative" or "alt" account is any additional account created by a person that is already a RC member.
Ning already restricts the use of email so that we shouldn't have anyalt accounts with the same email address.
Restriction by IP address is not as straight forward as therecan bea many-to-many relationship between a Person and an IP address, i.e. One Person may have many IP Addresses and an IP Address may be used by many People. So though IP address may be a good indicatorit isnot absolutely foolproof which means the process cannot be automatedas itrequires that I make a judgement call.
For the most part, the removal of alt accounts is going well because the large majority ofmembers, reasonable folks that they are,understand the necessity and are doing their part to help by removing their own accounts.
For those that absolutely refuse,especially the sockpuppets that pop up now and again, I remove them manually.
It's an ongoing process which I expect will continue as long as the RC site exists 