Living History
Donate to LHVW

How Laggy is your Avi??

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,919 posts

It's amazing how many scripts can be attached to one little avi!!

These scripts impact overall sim performance and have a direct impact on your personal SL experience.

Fortunately, there are now tools available to measure the number of scripts you are wearing and the amount of region memory you are consuming. It is recommended that you have no more than 50 scripts and/or 2 megabytes (2,000k) attached to your avi.

I have set up a Script Impact measure on the back wall of the Duch de CoeurRP Welcome Area

With a little bit of effort I was able to reduce my scripts to 27 (from 53) using 1632k (from 32000k) of memory. I found that my clothes & hair (often big offenders) were fine but the MystiTool HUD was very script heavy so I customized it to scripts that I use regularly. I feel much lighter now :))

Please feel free to check it out. You will notice that as you remove objects with scripts in them your totals will update.

Many thanks to Ann Otoole for the Script Impact measure and to Chalice Yao for the original code. If you would like your own, Ann has a free copy of the Script Impact at her store here:
Unique Needs Fantasy Vampire Clo, Blueberry (160, 135, 101)

Have fun losing that script weight!! Maybe you would like to report here how it went?
Tatiana

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 06 Oct 2016 06:05:16AM
Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
13 years ago
263 posts
i had 6300.....undressed then lol
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,919 posts

I have this image of all these bald avi's standing around in their underwear trying to figure out where the scripts are hidden!!

I guess at that point it's best to get your own "private" version :))

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Capacitatodd Principe diMelioria
@capacitatodd-principe-dimelioria
13 years ago
15 posts

Grazie for this information and tool. As a sim owner and builder I always feel horrible when a visitor complains of lag. I try to watch my contribution to this issue but have always found it hard to reply dlicately, "O si Signora. I am sorry. But how shall I put this? With all due respect your diadem is "blinging" like Halley'sComet!"

Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
13 years ago
263 posts

hahaha

the biggest event we had so far at versailles was probably the new year's eve ball in 2009. In the invitations we had asked the ooc guests to be sure that their avatar rendering cost is low...of course only a few (basically maria and me^^) had paid attention and so we asked them whether they could work on that little issue. some even took offense in it....so what are we supposed to do?

Many thanks to tat. this is really practical :)

by the way, does the creator also sell it?

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,919 posts

"With all due respect your diadem is "blinging" like Halley'sComet!"

Hehe,too funny :))

On a more serious note, I do think that having tools like this will go a long way to educating people about their personal "contributions" to lag, something that was pretty difficult before these kinds of measurements came out.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,919 posts

Ann Otoole is giving it away for free from her store. Thanks Ann!!

The link to her storeis in the first post :)

--
Docteur Panacek
@docteur-panacek
13 years ago
69 posts
Hey Tatiana, indeed a very interesting article you posted here. I went to the Blueberry sim and got my own free copy. Getting rid of a lot of (alas very "every-day necessity") attachments, i could reduce my 'personal weight'. I wished it was that simple in RL too LOL.I have found out something else that i wanna share with you all. Its a bit about the same problem...Have you ever heared about "ARC"? It stands for "Avatar Rendering Cost". Using a point score, ARC shows how each avatar affects the rendering performance of the Viewer. You can see the score over the avatar's head. Green, yellow or red, depending on how costly an avatar is for a graphics card to render.To see this score, just go to the Advanced menu. Enable Advanced > Rendering > Info Displays > Avatar Rendering Cost. There you go.But even with all the scripts gone, my avatar still was in Condition Red. It took some modifications to get me in 'Condition Green'. But i managed to do so.If you go to the original Wiki article you get more useful information about how the score is calculated, and what to do to lower it. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Avatar_Rendering_Cost Hope you all find this info useful,Friendly greetings, Pekel