Living History
Donate to LHVW

News from Versailles!

Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
13 years ago
263 posts

Hello everybody!

There have not been news from Versailles for a pretty long time. We are happy to announce now that the Chateau will be open to public again soon. : The exterior is almost done: We finished the corps de logis, the townside, the le vau wing, the gabriel wing and the first bit of the north and south wing (which will be located on two new sims). We are also planning to build the ministers wings before the opening with some apartments for the courtiers. So many interesting new things are to come in the following weeks.

But more importantly the Versailles Currency system is ready to work. We finished the Terms of Use and monsieur le prince de carpgne was so kind to provide a guide for it. Along with the VCS we will offer two new social classes: The rich Bourgeosie and the lower class basically represented by soldiers and servants. Beside the normal court hierarchy the new currency system will offer you a new perspective in the court roleplay. You do no longer ONLY depend on the royal will, but money. In this context the bourgeosie will play an important role as merchants and bankers supporting the aristocracy with loans. Not every noble family was rich and many clearly needed the money of the rich bourgeosie - which often led to intermarriage.

Apart from that, the Saint-Cyr sisters have had the fabulous idea of creating an online encyclopaedia for the members of this community. It is a very sensible idea considering the mass of information and knowledge newcomers are to acquire. The rules are much more structured now and so is the etiquette. We gave you the basic structure and everybody who is willing to contribute is free to do so from now on: You just need to register and start writing :) it works like wikipedia. Free access to knowledge provided by others!

here we have the url!

After all Versailles is more than just a roleplay community. We consider it a historical education project and take this task very seriously: Learning by doing is probably the best way to understand this period.

With your help we will be able to gather more knowledge from books and internet research and in a way reveal the different secrets of the time to the public.

updated by @anne-comtesse-de-noailles: 06 Oct 2016 06:05:31AM
Henri Louis Marie de Rohan
@henri-louis-marie-de-rohan
13 years ago
192 posts

Incroyable! In fact, it's incroyable I ever managed to get the notecards finished (thanks to your gentle poking/thrashing)

I'm already anticipating furthering my income - and my wardrobe - with an advantageous marriage to a pious bourgeoisie girl! Bring on the third estate say I!

MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
13 years ago
647 posts

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I'm glad to see the hard work you've put in the place can finally be shown to all of SL soon :)

Edit: Oh, and I adore the bourgeosie idea! I actually never realy thought about them being at the court and the financial help they gave to the nobles. Very interesting, I keep learning through SL Versailles more and more too! :)

13 years ago
263 posts

Special tasks for servants: In the future servants will have to perform completely new tasks in the household of their families. Apart from assisting their masters in every day events (lever, lunch etc.) they will become "household managers" - in charge of purchasing goods for the household (consumable goods that go off after a particular amount of time) - and also secretaires for the families delivering messages.

we are also working on concepts for a historical kitchen: What ingridients are required for a certain meal? How much is required for a banquet or ball? That way holding an event will become a large investment.

13 years ago
263 posts
Houses or individuals can either hire them offering them a loan per week (there is a minimum income for servants) or they go the normal application process (in this case applying for the role of a servant). There are going to be new application forms that offer applicants a career in one of the three social classes (clergy is part of the first estate)
13 years ago
263 posts

I will surely add a post about the VCS soon. thanks to monsieur le prince we have got a nice description about it :)

the good thing is...there are surely going to be some nobles that will be filthy rich and some that will be pretty impoverished. I think we haven't mentioned before that the size of land owned by a family and hence their income is determined by a roll of dice.

13 years ago
263 posts
that depends on whether you are a historical or fictional character
Marie Joséphine de Fiennes
@marie-josephine-de-fiennes
13 years ago
25 posts
This is so amazing for new people. Great Idea! What's up with the picture of jiggles in there? lol