Living History
Donate to LHVW

A Painting of a Crowd

Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
15 years ago
471 posts

There is just so much to notice in this painting.Its full of fashionable people and less fashionable personages-...and cows.Dont forget the cows.^^PS! Follow the link to see the bigger image href="http://z.about.com/d/arthistory/1/0/N/t/fashionable_life_0910_03.jpg"> http://z.about.com/d/arthistory/1/0/N/t/fashionable_life_0910_03.jpg " target="_blank">So lets play the "Which one are you" game (inspired by Tatiana Dokuchic)Attributed to Joseph Nickolls (British, 1713-1755). St James's Park and The Mall, after 1745
updated by @sophia-trefusis: 06 Oct 2016 06:02:49AM
Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
15 years ago
471 posts
I would probably be the girl in the amber gown (next to the silvery lady whos talking to a gent in red) who is her holding up her fan You cant tell but shes probably amused and/or grinning (perhaps both!) and trying to hide it with her fan. What she is smiling at? Who knows...
Constance Zapedzki
@constance-zapedzki
15 years ago
7 posts
Hmph they WERE a bit of a bore, Gallyon cherie, I don't care if they have the Garter or the Bath!Surely, as I turn away from those terrific English bores, my eye is now about to light on the two Polish noblemen in the bottom right-hand corner - they cannot be there by accident!!!(BTW cherie - LOVE your cape! ;^) )(No ladies mounted on horse or I would have to go with that . . .)
MariaAntonia Barenhaut
@margaret-maria-lady-verney
15 years ago
125 posts
I'd probably be the one in the white gown and hat. She seems to be rather enjoying all the attention from the gentleman to the right of her ;) HahaAnd that gown is fab! Hehe
Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
15 years ago
471 posts
They are POLISH?! I thought perhaps they were spaniards.^^
Constance Zapedzki
@constance-zapedzki
15 years ago
7 posts
Spaniards? SPANIARDS???? Sophy darling, I do like our friends from Espain but, believe me, these gentlemen are Slav Slav Slav (and my kind of Slav ^^).
Contessa Selina di Loredan
@contessa-selina-di-loredan
15 years ago
18 posts
I would be the lady in silver next to Sophia, talking to the man in red, on the right hand side.He's asking me "Is something wrong with your friend?" He nods towards dear Sophia. I simply shake my head and reply: "No that's just my Sophia." I'm tempted to hit him with my fan for a variety of reasons, one of which is he's *really* too close to me but well... too many witnesses. I wouldn't want to go on trial for murd- erm *cough* assault... (Death by fan!)
MariaAntonia Barenhaut
@margaret-maria-lady-verney
15 years ago
125 posts
I think we picked the same person, Selina, haha
Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
15 years ago
471 posts
Well I admit my defeat lol
Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
15 years ago
471 posts
I hope the strongest reason for you to commit bodily harm with a fan is to defend "your dear Sophia" hahaha
Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
15 years ago
471 posts
Maybe she has multiple personalities? lol
Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
15 years ago
471 posts
Chaperone :"No,dear I dont care that he is a devilishly handsome rake.Your are not to take a stroll with him and thats final"Young Lady Elizabeth:"But I want to! *stomps foot*
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
15 years ago
1,919 posts
Great picture, Sophia! Did you all check out the "kilts" bottom centre-left??? ;)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
15 years ago
471 posts
Of course *looks amazed that Tatiana should think she would miss the chance to look at shapely manly legs*
Gabrielle Glendevon
@gabrielle-glendevon
15 years ago
12 posts
I would have to go with the woman in blue. She is in the background a bit, on the left hand side. She is talking with a woman and a man.