Living History
Donate to LHVW

"Walking to Mordor" Challenge: Hobbiton to Bree

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,907 posts
I'm always looking for fitness motivation and this challenge is perfect for LOTR fans!
Over the next two years I will be following the route that Frodo & Sam took from Hobbiton to Mordor.

I could use company so if you always wanted to be part of the Fellowship (or even if you just want a great challenge) come on along!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 06 Oct 2016 06:13:44AM
Marie-Amelie de Tancarville
@marie-amelie-de-tancarville
12 years ago
65 posts

Hu? Mordor is a real place? o0

"Their taking Tatiana to Eisengar!"

x

Nora Clementine Fernsby
@nora-clementine-fernsby
12 years ago
63 posts

This is great! Good luck :).

Lady Bluebird of Orkney
@lady-bluebird-of-orkney
12 years ago
81 posts

Hmmm. Very intriguing. When do you start? (Contemplating number of trunks to be packed for 2-year trip)

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,907 posts

LOL - I'm not going without a fight!

More likely, I'll be hiding behind some rocks so that they won't be able to find me ;)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,907 posts

Thanks!!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,907 posts

I'mgoing tohave things organized this weekend (at least the initial cut which will be tweaked as things progress).

I'm thinking that it would be best to set this up so that people can join at any time, especially since it is going to take two years. This means that you can start from the very beginning (Hobbiton) and record your times against those that have gone before or you can start wherever the group happens to be and go from there. We'll see how this goes.

I've actually been recording my miles since the end of February so I'm going to use those & just keep going. Right now I'm just past Rivendell and heading for Moria - lol.

I'll post again when I have the initial journal setup. Suggestions are welcome :)

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,907 posts

I've got the Walking to Mordor Journal started with a basic outline of the Estimated-Travel-Time (ETT) & Estimated-Time-of-Arrival (ETA) for major & minor milestones of the trip from Hobbiton to Mordor.

Also added some colour commentary related to the journey & will be adding more along the way. This should help us visualize our surroundings as we walk :)

Get your walking shoes & pedometer dusted off - it's 135 miles between Hobbiton & Bree and there's a Dark Rider on our trail!

--
Joan Claremont
@joan-claremont
12 years ago
363 posts

Aww this is so cute & great Illustrations. Wow that's a long walk!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,907 posts

It is a long walk but since I'm walking every day anyway I'm hoping this "gamification" will help move me along a bit faster :)

I've always been a big LOTR fan, first the books & then the movies but I never really looked online for content. Wow!! There is a lot of beautiful LOTRs related content on the web!! I'm hoping to share some of it through this adventure.

--
Renonys d'Aquitaine
@renonys-daquitaine
12 years ago
46 posts

this looks like fun.... i could print out the map and peg my trail on the cork board....

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,907 posts

Yes, that's a great idea :)

For each of the four stages between Hobbiton to Mordor I will also be posting a more detailed map created by zooming in on the big map. I should get the first one (Hobbiton to Rivendell) up later this week.

Get those walking shoes dusted off!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,907 posts

Frodo Baggins and his fellow Hobbits set out from Bag End heading for The Prancing Pony in Bree. Excitement is mixed with trepidation as they set out on this journey especially since Hobbits (with the exception of the "eccentric" Bilbo Baggins) are not exactly know for their adventurous spirits.

The very first stage of the journeyhas been posted! It covers 135 miles; ETT: 30 days.

See: Hobbiton to Bree

Next up Bree to Weathertop with the aid of the Ranger Strider. This stage is a bit shorter at 105 miles; ETT: 24 days but as LOTRs fans know there's danger surrounding Weathertop.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,907 posts

I've created a Pinterest board Walking to Mordor to record our journey visually. Thanks to Evie for this great suggestion!

This is a group board so please contact me if you would like to be added as another pinner.

--
Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
12 years ago
471 posts

Oh its real..or at least it was inspired by a real place.

Read number 6 :)

6 Fictional Places You Didnt Know Actually Existed

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,907 posts

Very cool! Thanks Sophia :)

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,907 posts

I'm delighted to report that we currently have 7 or 8 members of this fitness Fellowship!

This is a challenge where you go at your own pace so it's never to late to join in.

Here's an example of a Pinterest Board setup by Evie Alchemi who using it to track her own progress as well as participating in the group board: http://pinterest.com/eviealchemi/walking-to-mordor-challenge/

--