Living History
Donate to LHVW

Please help me: Survey time!

MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
11 years ago
647 posts

Hello,

A while back Ethelred Brougham was one of the first to start a papal court based roleplay. The Villa Farnese project was set in the 1530s, with pope Paul III. A renaissance roleplay. Unfortunately, due to lack of interest and high support costs, the project was closed. Now we are aspiring to create a new roleplay. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.esurveycreator.com/s/aa446fd

Kiss,

MarieLouise

updated by @marielouise-harcourt: 06 Oct 2016 06:24:41AM
Joan Claremont
@joan-claremont
11 years ago
363 posts

You are an endless creatirx! I hate surveys but for you OK lol ;D

Leandro Rinaldo Malaspina
@leandro-rinaldo-malaspina
11 years ago
12 posts

I looked at the survey; questions there are interesting, and your effort is remarkable as well, but I wanted to remind that an active and working Papal Court with an active group already exist right now, and it's the Pontifical Aula, located in Mont Saint Bruno (Antiquity Heights).

If it wasn't for that matter, I'd support your project with all my heart (having a rp Court located in Rome would fill with joy my Italian spirit), but on these circumstances I personally don't think it is a good idea. There are so many States, Principalities, Sovereign territories still untaken that could give new life to our community, expecially if led by expert members like you, while Court duplicates just destroy rp even more, with countless problems, and surely are not pleasant for anyone.

Pius IX
@pius-ix
11 years ago
3 posts

I thank you for your response, of which I am fully aware and I do sympathize. The presence of multiple courts was and continues to be something that could potentially cause discord if pursued without compassion or in a reckless fashion. I assure you there is no intent of that, as I generally see comparing these projects rather like comparing apples and oranges, each with their own merits. That being said, as I see it the project proposed is different enough in scope to be pursued without any worry of a "double court." In fact, with the survey results in mind and the discussions we have had with a number of seasoned rpers, we have decided to set this Roman rp in the 19th century, rather than in the Enlightenment. Further, if I have interpreted it correctly, the "Pontifical Aula" serves a fictional principality of Mont St. Bruno, and represents a jurisdiction of "sheer desire." The Pontificalis Aula, an idea I have toyed with for some time, will be an aspect of a larger project that deals with the urbs of Rome and city life, which means "court" roleplay will be only a minor aspect. Thus, a rp set in a Pontificate of Mt. Bruno and that of a Papal States can coexist without any toes being trod upon, nor any ill will or misplaced ambitions.

11 years ago
12 posts

Oh well, I do not actually know about the matter Pontifical Aula / Mont Saint Bruno and where one finish and the other starts; in any case, rebus sic stantibus, I think yours is indeed an interesting project, and I wish you good luck with that :)

PS I'm really curious to see how the City will be :D

Louis XVI
@louis-xvi
11 years ago
11 posts

Buongiorno,Signore Malaspina. I would just like to mention that Ethelred Brougham was the first to start a Second Life Papal role-play back in March of this year. I'm certain you'll understand that we cannot control that another Papal Court has popped up in Antiquity, as of a few weeks ago, while we were still on hiatus.

As Ethelred has already mentioned, there is little worry of us becoming a duplicate court, since, not only are we the original Papal Court in SL, but we have built a role-play that prides itself on ingenuity and truly being one of a kind.

Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
11 years ago
359 posts

Second Life being Second Life, there should be enough room for as many layers of history and pseudo-history as we care to create. The Papacy has lasted for a long time, with each new papal regime carrying its own flavour, appreciated by a different set of players should any of them become the subject of a community RP. Those who enjoy Pontifical Aula based in MSB, as His Holiness Pius IX has explained it, will likely be quite a different group than those who want to immerse themselves in the morass of Borgia politics and scandal, or are fascinated by the schisms that led to the Avignon papacy, for instance. History is large, and we are all imaginative.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
11 years ago
12 posts

Reverend Father, far from me the intention of contesting Ethelred's achievements, and I perfectly understand the other points of your reply. My statement only had a diplomatical purpose, being my intention to support, with an humble opinion, my friends in the Aula and to avoid possible future problems; but the answer given to my comment perfectly explained the situation and the possible peaceful existence of both projects.

Madame, absit iniura verbis, surely the space in Second Life is enough for everyone, is the space in most people's tolerance which is lacking. I do really love the RP community that has grown in these years, and I suffer when I see RPs falling for futile motives, and we all saw pretty much of those falls. Your words are wise and I fully share them, but these truths work when everyone is mature enough to understand their value. That said, I am happy to hear that the project will have a new RP approach, and being it so interesting, I can't do anything but wait to see how it will develop. :)

Louis XVI
@louis-xvi
11 years ago
11 posts

Signora, I do agree. While I cannot speak for individual role-players or their tastes, I think we agree that since the MSB Papacy and the Papal States offer so different a setting, era, and approach to role-play, they can happily be regarded by everyone as unrelated projects rather than double courts.

Jerit Weiser
@jerit-weiser
11 years ago
6 posts

Hi ML, Just what kind of role play are you intending to create? I think the low level of interest in the papal court, in part was due to the low level of interest of religion in SL. That being said we still have two chapels on our land, mostly for a quiet place to retreat to and think. Our interest lies chiefly in Balls, Garden Parties, Horse events and we have just completed a large ice-skating area to which we will invite all the courts. We have cottages for rent in the village and only two are occupied, but that makes no difference, I pay the monthly tier and I enjoy the view. Let me know what you are planning, build small and grow. Jerit.

Élisabeth de Valois
@elisabeth-de-valois
11 years ago
3 posts

My dear friend !

I am so glad that you follow even in the arena of rp , we all know very well the seriousness that you have, to play rp and quality of your projects , to hear the loss of the Papal Court , regret much , villa farmese was glorious and great, certainly the terrible manner toward doubling and coping the royal courts groups continues ... especially in groups of players who do not play but like to believe with the right to have an empty court , but long live the king ... sarcastic laughter " King without Courtier or only one and two ( players) .

Finally we now have two Popes , I particularly think the first papal court of Ethel as the only one, now have begun the Renaissance courts , hopefully not duplicate or copy them .

Groups Wonderful

Royal Court of Elizabeth I ( Tudor Rose Group)
Royal Court of France with Francis II ( Renaissance France )
Royal Courts of Scotland with Mary I ( Renaissance Scotland )
Royal Court of Spain with Felipe II ( Renaissance Spain )

Still, there are Renaissance courts groups available to create and Play , and you MarieLouise has a chance to create a new one! may it be Italian Court :-).

xox Kisses and Hugss!