Living History
Donate to LHVW

A decorating challenge: The Royal Crescent

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
10 years ago
154 posts

With its rooms oddly shaped as well as over-sized, the Royal Crescent in Regency Somerset offers a unique and elegant living space, but also a challenge to the decorator.

And of course it's not enough to simply fill the space. Each suite should have its own personality! I enjoyed the challenge so I thought I'd share a look at some of my ideas.

3145_discussions.png?width=750

In "The Admiral's Suite" I lined everything up ship-shape.

3146_discussions.png?width=750 In the warmly-papered Valencia Suite the furnishings are less formal and their arrangement too is more casual.

3147_discussions.png?width=750

Upstairs in the Valencia Suite, the decor leans toward romance, whimsy and scatter.

3148_discussions.png?width=750

The Admiral's office area shows a more practical approach to life, but amongst those maps in the office area, who can resist dreaming of far-away places?

Open House - the Royal Crescent's suites are open to view so please come peek around. Personally I think they look better in person. I'm looking forward to doing some more furnishing, but they're available to rent furnished or un so if you know anyone looking for a special rental send them over.

updated by @merry-chase: 10 Jan 2017 01:30:23PM
Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

Beautiful rooms Miss Merry! :)

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
10 years ago
154 posts

Thank you, thank you! I had fun finishing the Admiral's Suite with a sense of the naughty side to our nautical gentleman, which his public rooms don't convey. Now it's all ready for habitation, and lacks only an Admiral.

3149_discussions.png?width=721

3150_discussions.png?width=721

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
10 years ago
154 posts

Next up, the Duchess' suite, inspired by the bold and beloved Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire.

By the way, these suites will be available for rent. Inquire of BrendonPatrick MacRory.

Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
10 years ago
313 posts

These are all wonderful!

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
10 years ago
154 posts

Curtis, I had a feeling you would like The Admiral's Suite!

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
10 years ago
154 posts

Thank you! Imagining personalities for their occupants has made furnishing these suites a lot of fun.

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
10 years ago
154 posts

Here are a couple of views of the completed Duchess of Devonshire suite.
The public area is dominated by a roulette table, just as her love of gambling dominated the Duchess' life, but the surrounding comfort and elegance are also typical of Georgiana.
3155_discussions.png?width=721

3156_discussions.png?width=721

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
10 years ago
154 posts

The Pastoral Suite has the refined rusticity and touch of whimsy that only a true aristocrat can afford.

There are some fun surprises in this suite's decor that I don't want to even try to capture in pictures. Really, the entire Crescent must be seen, and walked through, to be appreciated.

3157_discussions.png?width=721

3158_discussions.png?width=721