Living History
Donate to LHVW

Ning 3.0: Site Privileges-Working Paper **CONCLUSION**

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,889 posts

Dear Courtiers

Over the past 4 years it has become clear that oneof the sitemandates has to bethe collection of funds done in an equitable fashion. With the new Ning 3.0 functionality this will be easier to accomplish via automation and the creation of new rules for site privileges.

This discussion is intended as a Working Paper where rules can be proposed, reviewed and discussed. Feedback is encouraged.

I am using Royal Courts of Second Life (Beta) to prototype this functionality and provideus allwitha visual aid.

Site Privileges (Proposed):

Public: General public

View information in the public realm (all information in the site is currently included)

Members: Royal Court site members

All Public privileges

View information restricted to Members (currently there are no such restrictions)

Contribute to Discussion Forum (General Discussion, Court News, Introductions)

Contribute to Groups (depending on Group Permissions)

Comment on all Content

RC Supporters: Donation of L$250 or more per year

All Member privileges

Receive a Supporters Badge that is displayed on their avatar.

View information restricted toRC Supporters(currently there are no such restrictions)

Contribute to Events, Blogs, Photos, Videos, Classifieds

Request creation of Basic Groups (Community or Special Interest)

Administer Groups

RC Sponsors: Donation of L$5,000 or more per year*

All RC Supporters privileges

View information restricted toRC Sponsors(currently there are no such restrictions)

Contribute to Photo Advertisements

Request creation of one Custom Group (Community, Special Interest or Store)

Listed alphabeticallyon Main Pageunder Sponsors with link to Custom Group Page

Custom Community Group Example , Store Example

*To simplify administration,a sponsorship is linked to one specific member. You do not have to become a group administrator to sponsor a group. While Community Groups are meant to be shared by many, Store Groups are limited to one member.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 24 Oct 2016 08:06:58AM
Contessa Elena Marina Foscari
@contessa-elena-marina-foscari
11 years ago
49 posts

Good point Mercury,

What happens to the blogs? Also does the contribution include donations made during the recent past, or new donations.

This seems like a fair way of financing a site we all use and enjoy.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,889 posts

Thanks for the feedback, Mercury & Elena.

Blogs are includedfor RC Supporters . I've updated the text as I forgot to include it there when I was typing out the list. We are going to be able to categorize Blogs (and most other things) which is very exciting & I'll post a separate discussion to get thoughts about those categories. Any site member may comment on blogs.

Basic Groups vs. Custom Groups . Basic Groups come in a standard layout that cannot be changed by the group Administrator. The group page cannot be rearranged and new sections cannot be added. As soon as I have a prototype of a Basic Group I will post a link.

Custom Groups can be fully customized by the group Administrator. Pages can be rearranged, new sections added & deleted.As an example, seethe prototype Les Amis de Coeur group where I have added videos in their own special sections.

Stores are only allowed as a custom group.

Contributions include donations made during the current year . According to the Ning Roadmap, the migration software (that will allow us to move all of our content over into the prototype shell that I've created) won't be available until October. Most software delivery tends to have a late delivery dateso we can guestimate we will go live there in December which is almost half way through our currentfiscal year.

Anyonewho would like to become an RC Supporter can contribute at any time during the year. This membership will expire on July 21, 2014.

For those that would like to upgrade to a Sponsor,the fee will be proratedand this membership will expire on July 21, 2014. For example, if you have already donated L$4,000 and you request an upgrade on January 21, 2014 (six months into our fiscal year) you would owe (L$5000 - L$4,000) / 2 = L$500.

Members who have already contributed L$5,000 or more are now considered Sponsors.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,889 posts

Concerning RC Sponsors:

Since the Sponsors idea has already caught on I'm not going to wait until the move to Ning 3.0 to start implementing it in a scaled down version.

If you qualify as a Sponsor and have a group identified (in conjunction with the group administrator(s))you can send me a logo that is 200px x 100px and a link to the group page and I will included it on the site.

Please note that this is a brand new idea and we are still working the kinks out so rules etc. may change.

Thanks!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,889 posts

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,889 posts

It is a bit confusing as what we now know as Marketplace has been divided into Classifieds and Advertisements with their own, individual sections.

They both appear on the Home page as well as the new Marketplace page. They both can be used for new products, store openings etc. If you look closely you will see that the difference is that the teaser show for Classifieds is just the title while the Advertisement is a photo.

Here is an example of a Classified: TTR Kitchen Garden: Roses

Her is an example of an Advertisement: TTR Kitchen Garden: Cabbage & Rose

Advertisements are meant as a perk for members that are RC Sponsors.

We're still working out the kinks on this especially since Ning has not yet delivered all the functionality for 3.0. For example, the teaser photos are too big and a photo slide show does not exist yet. We'll see how things develop as we have more options from Ning.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Note: I managed to delete thispost so I am re-creating it as best as possible and then getting myself a coffee :)) Stormy's repose (just above) was meant to go with my original post.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,889 posts

After waiting for almost two years, I've given up hope that NING 3.0 will ever be ready for our migration.

... insert heavy sigh here ...

Even if we did migrate, 3.0 is now so very different from when I first set up our sandboxthat all the work done would have to be reconsidered first.

RC Sponsors: In order to compensate you for not being able to implement the 3.0 version, I left up the Sponsors until today (May 7, 2015), i.e.nine extra months. They have now been removed and I will start a new Fund Raising discussion soon.

Thanks!

--