Market
Donate to LHVW

Maybe this could make a perfect holiday present...

Docteur Panacek
@docteur-panacek
13 years ago
69 posts

The French Record Label "Harmonia Mundi" has released a 30 CD box called " Lumieres - Music Of The Enlightenment "

It includes not only music from the "Big Three" (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven) but also a lot of other famous (Bach, Handel, Vivaldi) and less known composers (Gluck, Rameau, Couperin etc). It gives a nice overview of the music during the period of "Enlightenment". I know what i am gonna ask Santa in my letter...

" The 18th century is probably the most extraordinary period of transformation Europe has known since antiquity. Political upheavals kept pace with the innumerable inventions and discoveries of the age; every sector of the arts and of intellectual and material life was turned upside down. Between the end of the reign of Louis XIV and the revolution of 1789, music in its turn underwent a radical mutation that struck at the very heart of a well-established musical language. In this domain too, we are all children of the Age of Enlightenment: our conception of music and the way we consume it still follows in many respects the agenda set by the 18th century. And it is not entirely by chance that harmonia mundi has chosen to offer you in 2011 a survey of this musical revolution which, without claiming to be exhaustive, will enable you to grasp the principal outlines of musical creation between the twilight of the Baroque and the dawn of Romanticism. "

1481_discussions.jpg

http://www.arkivmusic.com/albumpage/612333-E900-5

updated by @docteur-panacek: 06 Oct 2016 01:58:51PM
Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
13 years ago
263 posts

this sounds really great! I also checked the link you attached to this post. You should definitely get it! The featured ensembles and artists are simply amazing (just to mention vronique gens and william christie...or agnes mellon!)

this is surely THE perfect christmas present for me lol

thanks for sharing!!

Lady Burnstein
@lady-burnstein
13 years ago
225 posts

Thanks you for this...very wonderful idea!!!!!

Aimee Wheatcliffe
@aimee-wheatcliffe
13 years ago
51 posts

Where is dear Santa when someone needed him! (alright, i'm not a believer anymore, thanks for that rl grandma)