Living History
Donate to LHVW

Best currency hud?

Mansur Marawi
@mansur-marawi
7 years ago
62 posts

I have been struggling to find the right currency and meter for my sim. So far, I seem to be doing all right without a health meter. No one wants one. A currency hud, however... that would be more useful.

Does anyone know where I can find such a thing? Ideally, it would be customizable at the admin level and give me a large amount to start with (so that I can give it to folks as needed for their roles). At base, all it would really have to do is allow avatars to exchange imaginary coins back and forth - like a big old calculator. The ACS coin system comes to mind - except I think I read that they recently changed theirs.

Any suggestions?

--
Owner, the NEW Larl Valley:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hunters%20XXX/168/64/22
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

My apologies for the necro-post but you bring up some interesting points here, Mansur.  Please see Managing A Historical RP Economy  :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Bessie Hull
@satoharu-nakamura
5 years ago
41 posts

Mansur has since implemented the Unity system for use in crafting and etc.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

Hatsuka:

Mansur has since implemented the Unity system for use in crafting and etc.

That's interesting!  I knew he was considering it but hadn't heard much about it.  How's it going?

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Viscount Braye
@viscount-braye
5 years ago
144 posts

Hey Everyone,

I'm also very interested in this topic. Currently, I'm looking into working with the Banco Rezzonico, as I feel this could add an additional layer of roleplay in Georgian London. I spoke with the founder, Nazeem Resident, and he's quite content with including some aspects of G&S system and generation some accurate economy over there. 

I'm not familiar with the Unity system, so please advise. 

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

I think it would be grand if members of the Queen's Hamlet could go shopping in the streets of Georgian London and perhaps the shopkeepers of Georgian London could get some of their fresh meat, produce and wine from the farms of the Queen's Hamlet :)

It's one of the reasons that I started Managing a Historical RP Economy in the hope that the historical RP communities could become better connected.  As has been mentioned before, the huge courts of the old days are gone but I believe that there's great potential for smaller scale RPGs that can interact with each other.

I found some information about Unity and it reminds me a bit of the original system we used in the Duché called RPS.  Perhaps Mansur will drop by and tell us more about it.  In any case, the Queen's Hamlet is committed to G&S.

--

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 02 Apr 2019 12:24:18PM
Bessie Hull
@satoharu-nakamura
5 years ago
41 posts

The benefit of the Unity system seems to be that you can modify it as you like, adding recipes and ingredients. The materials you gather are stored in a pouch at your waist.

Now, the downsides. Looks like you have to be able to do a little building. And since the materials/ingredients are stored digitally in your pouch, you can't rezz them on the ground when cooking. For each one, you have to type the name of that item and the number you want to add. And to see what you have, you click the inventory button in the hud and it reads it out to you in open chat, in green text. It can be a bit cumbersome to check what you have, scrolling up and down to see if you even have everything you need.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

Hatsuka:

The benefit of the Unity system seems to be that you can modify it as you like, adding recipes and ingredients. The materials you gather are stored in a pouch at your waist.

Thanks for the information!

The inventory sounds like the one in Skyrim.  I was always scrambling for ingredients or a healing potion just as some dragon was blasting me out of my boots :)

I do wish that G&S would give us more access to their APIs so that we could modify different items ourselves.  We had that ability in RPS and I made pretty good use of it.  I always wanted to drop some code into fancy chairs to that the upper nobility would lose energy for just sitting around doing nothing.

I also like that Unity has herbs.  G&S really needs to get into the whole healing aspect.  For now, I guess we can fake it by repackaging different wines & spirits into medicine bottles etc.

I was looking on the SLM to get an idea of the size of the actual user base and at first glance it seems smaller than G&S but I haven't delved too deeply into the group sizes etc.  I wonder what the impact was of Inworldz going under as they seemed to be operating there as well.

--