Queen's Hamlet
Donate to LHVW

Artisan: Winemaking

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,902 posts

You've harvested your grapes (or bought a basket) and now you're ready to try your hand at making wine. Here's how!

Everything you need is located at the new Winery

717_discussions.png?width=750

The wine press is located on the left. Place your barrel near the press. Touch the press and voila - a barrel of grape juice will be sent to you.

718_discussions.png?width=750

The equipment on the right (in this image) places a custom label on your barrel. You can see an example of this label on the casket to the right. Here's a closer look ...

719_discussions.png?width=750

Place all of the barrels that you would like labeled near the bench. Touch the bench and every barrel within a 10m radius will be changed. This is excellent for doing many barrels at one time but you must obviously be cautious with those that you don't want changed.

I've designed two slightly different labels so that we can distinguish Co-op owned wine from your private stocks. The "private" stock label will be the default available. Unfortunately, I have to physically replace one label with another in the bench so it's going to be a bit more difficult to get your own custom label on the barrel should you want one. More about that later.

The Aging Process

Right now you have a barrel of grape juice. Aged for four days and it becomes wine. After that it may go on to become "reserve" and after that it may go on to become "grand reserve". I believe that the quality of the grapes has something to do with this process but it's all a bit foggy right now (for all I know it's just based on some dice roll). I'll report back when I find out more.

Wine will not mature when it is in inventory. Taking it into inventory preserves it at its current state.

I would recommend that people mature their wine at their own homes. If you haven't got a spot to place your wine barrels contact Tatiana for further information regarding rental of warehouse space.

Custom Labels

Vinologists may want to stamp their own brands on their barrels.

First you must design your label. It should be an alpha texture that is 512x512. This allows the wood underneath to show through. If you don't want to use an alpha texture it will still work but you won't see the wood that is underneath the label.

I played around with this by putting an extra prim up close to the bottom of the barrel and trying different designs to see how they looked until I was satisfied.

If you're going to be doing a lot of wine, I would recommend buying your own labeling equipment. Otherwise, perhaps we can arrange for private labeling on an infrequent basis but unfortunately I cannot guarantee my availability for this. We'll do the best we can.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 20 Oct 2016 09:36:35AM