Queen's Hamlet
Donate to LHVW

Blacksmith: The Basics

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Smithing may be considered by some to be difficult but really it's not any harder than cooking a good meal. With some simple ingredients, a basic "plan of attack" and some time, you'll be well on your way to becoming a master of the trade. Here are some basics to help you along.

Smithing can be broken into three essential activities:

• Mining - extracting the metal from the mine using a Pickaxe
  • Casting - turning raw metal into metal ingots using the Foundry
  • Forging - combining metal ingots & other materials into the finished product using the Forge and Hammer & Tongs

MINING

787_discussions.png?width=500

You will find the iron mine here .

To start a session at the mine:

• "Wear" your pickaxe
  • Right-click the mine and select "Work"
  • Select "Extract Iron" from the pop-up menu

One session at the mine lasts about 8 minutes after which you will be asked to accept a basket of Iron Ore. The number of pieces of ore in a basket is determined by your energy level (higher is definitely better) and the condition of your pickaxe. Your pickaxe will wear down over time and will need to be fixed.

The Iron Mine has a limit of 100 sessions so please try to make every one count by keeping your energy levels up and your pickaxe sharp.

CASTING

788_discussions.png?width=500

Both the Foundry (on the right) and the Forge (on the left) are found in the Market .

The Foundry will turn your baskets of Iron Ore into Iron Ingots (10 pieces of ore = 1 ingot). This furnace is fueled by Tharlarion's Oil which can be purchased at wholesale prices right next to the Foundry. I found that it's best to cast many batches of ore at one time to save on oil.

To start a session at the Foundry:

• Rezz a jar of Tharlarion's Oil
  • Rezz all your baskets of Iron Ore (it's best that the total pieces of ore is as close to a multiple of 10 as you can get it otherwise the excess is wasted)
  • Left-click the Foundry and select "Power On" from the pop-up menu
  • The Foundry will load the oil
  • The Foundry will give a new menu
  • Select "Melt"
  • Accept your Ingot
  • Continue to select "Melt" until all of your ore is gone
  • Select "Power Off"

Whew! You should now have a pile of iron ingots in your inventory!

FORGING

789_discussions.png?width=500

Here's the part that's most like cooking (just a tad bit louder). The book of "ingredients' for products is right above the desk. You must feed these materials to the Forge in the correct order to succeed. The Forge also requires Tharlarion's Oil as fuel. Again, it's best to plan ahead to make the best use of your oil supply.

To start a session at the Forge:

• Rezz a jar of Tharlarion's Oil
  • Rezz your materials (iron ingots, scrape metal, whatever)
  • "Wear" your Hammer
  • "Wear" your Tongs
  • "Sit" on the Forge (or left-click)
  • The Forge will load oil
  • Select materials in the correct order as the pop-up menus appear
  • "Forge" (can't remember if that's the exact command or not but you get the picture)
  • Repeat for the next product

Forging takes a lot of energy so I found that it's best to start out at 100% and have extra meals available to snack on while you're working.

As with the pickaxe, the hammer & tongs also wear out and can then be repaired.

There you have it! You're on your way to providing tools & other lovely items to the Hamlet!

Please see Blacksmith:Apprenticeship Program if you need help getting started.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 20 Oct 2016 10:11:31AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

reserved

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site