Queen's Hamlet
Donate to LHVW

Farmer: Chicken Coop Co-op

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,902 posts

Poultry products are a perfect change-of-pace to our current all-fish diet! Here's how you can join the Chicken Raising Challenge.

Now that we're harvesting grain we can take the next exciting step up the food-chain. The Co-op has purchased one Mini Coop and has made space available for others that are privately owned.

708_discussions.png?width=750

It's important to note that each Chicken Coop needs one bag of grain every six days, i.e. the total production of one wheat field (approximately one sack every 5 days) goes to support a coop.

This presents a challenge to all Co-op farmers as they have each been allotted a single wheat field and must pay Co-op Fees with part of their harvests. When we have more money in circulation the purchase of extra grain via the Grain Merchant will be more viable but for now we need to come up with alternatives.

I would suggest coop owners work together with one or more fellow farmers to support one coop. It will be up to the individual coop owners to work out arrangements.

Another scenario might include stockpiling grain before you start so that you have enough to tide you over until the sales of your poultry products generate revenue. Coops do not necessarily have to run continually. If you run out of feed, you may want to convert the chickens to meat and return the coop to your inventory until you can make another go of it.

There are currently two spaces set aside for privately owned coops. They are located behind the new Winery . Contact Tatiana to have one assigned to you.

709_discussions.png?width=750

And speaking of Co-op Fees, I'm sure everyone will be pleased to know that they will NOT apply to poultry products (eggs & meat). Everything produced is yours to keep. I'm dreaming of omelettes right now!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 22 Oct 2016 04:18:48AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,902 posts

I've learned a bit more about raising chickens that I thought I'd share with you.

One chicken is born every two days and a coop can hold a maximum of 5 chickens (or volus in G&S speak). Apparently eggs are not produced until all 5 chickens are in the coop so it's a bit of an investment waiting the 10 days before your first egg appears.

Having worked this out, I decided to add another coop that could be used for meat.

710_discussions.png?width=721

Now I've been a tad stressed about having to kill the chickens (I'd make an absolutely horrible RL farmer even though I do eat meat) so I was happy to find out that to sell a chicken you don't actually have to kill it, just put it in a vendor. I guess the killing is up to the person that decides to roast it ;)

Two days later, the first chicken is born and I remove him from the coop only to find he's of the "Large" variety which are rare. Seems a shame to stuff our very first large chicken into a box and sell him, so I've named him Rusty (after Rusty the Rooster for us oldbies that know about The Friendly Giant ) and he now lives behind the Winery with the rest of our livestock.

Still waiting for that first egg (any day now!) and we'll see in two days how I do with the next chicken from the "meat" coop.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site