Living History
Donate to LHVW

Roleplay Trading

Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
13 years ago
263 posts

Hello everybody!

Now that the currency system is ready for use and we sorted out the concept we can finally focus on the essential: The establishment of a roleplay economy!

Thus, this is an appeal everyone who is interested in trading, merchandising or just designing in Second Life. Evereything a historical person may have needed is required for it. So if you think you can contribute to it please get in touch with me!

Regarding the VCS

The Versailles Currency System is based on a hud that enables you to transfer and receive roleplay money, to buy goods from compatible vendors and to view your own coin balance. We are using the historical SOL coins with a value of 20 sols / livre.

How do I become a roleplay merchant?

In fact that is very easy! First of all you should be sure to only choose goods you want to sell for roleplay money. Roleplay money cannot be sold in exchange for lindens (only the different way round is possible). However, you can use them within the roleplay economy to buy new goods.

If you want to become a merchant we first suggest you to design a preferable product which is historically accurate and which you think is useful for the system. The next step is to get your own VCS merchant equipment which can be found on every roleplay market in a little wooden box: This package includes two types of scripts; on the one hand two timing scripts and on the other hand a vendor script.

The timing scripts must be added to the good you are selling since most goods are consumable or go off. In roleplay terms this means that they disappear/auto-delete after a particular amount of time (bread e.g. would only be edible for a few days whereas wine could be stored over a very long period, just as in reality). The preferable amount of time the product should be edible can be added in the description of the item, copy the script to the contents.

The vendor script should be added to a box along with the good itself. The shape of this box can vary depending on the product. Wooden boxes were mostly used.

Some inspiration

You can basically sell anything you like. Cake, rouge, powder, food or even cloth! In the 18th century a wealthy woman would not just go to a boutique and buy a dress - though these already existed in Paris. She would have a seamtress pick a fabric for her, give her some instructions and let design the dress. The same would work in world. You would go to a local roleplay market to purchase a cloth (a full permission seamless fabric) or even several piles so can vary a bit; then take the chosen fabrics and pay your seamtress to design you own dress! The difficulty is obviously to find seamtresses willing to work for roleplay money! But once again a versatile economy which is attractive for many people is the key to it.

Consumable "ready to eat" goods like cake should dispense a limited number of cake slices on a plate that can be attached and eaten by the consumber. It always depends on how food was served in reality. E.g. macarons do not require this.

Animations are crucial for basically every product in the system. How are you meant to drink a glass of wine without an animation? However we will provide a package of basic animations for newcomers very soon!

Many other forms of business are possible. Some bourgeois families might also focus on a banking system (of course this will only be roleplay based) to lend money to those in need (usually the highly indebted nobility).

Hoping for many creative ideas! :)

updated by @anne-comtesse-de-noailles: 06 Oct 2016 06:06:15AM
Marie Joséphine de Savoie
@marie-josephine-de-savoie
13 years ago
13 posts

I think this is the beginning of some really fascinating role play- I am already thinking of what sort of commodity I might create!

Henri Louis Marie de Rohan
@henri-louis-marie-de-rohan
13 years ago
192 posts
I love how endlessly creative you are with these kind of ideas madame. I now have lots of notions I will be exploring to help stuff the coffers of Versailles!
Contessa Elena Marina Foscari
@contessa-elena-marina-foscari
13 years ago
49 posts
The Foscari family are greatly looking forwards to selling Venetian and Italian goods to the French....(hehe)
Marie-Adélina de La Ferrière
@marie-adelina-de-la-ferriere
13 years ago
80 posts
Perhaps some good port from the southern regions of Portugal ;)
MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
13 years ago
647 posts
Can't wait for the economy to start. I myself already made some cakes, will make some fans and maybe some other products later ;-)
13 years ago
263 posts
in fact it would really be great to establish an international trading network of all nations :)
Marie-Adélina de La Ferrière
@marie-adelina-de-la-ferriere
13 years ago
80 posts

I would LOVE to have the Vila Almores family act as distant traders. Speaking of service-oriented professions, bankers would sound like lots of fun. And if there will be a need for bankers there will also be a demand for accountants to bookkeep the banks and notaries, lawyers to ensure contracts are upheld and judges to bring lawsuits (those would be fun). For international trading network will there be a tariff rate? OH! And will there be royal licenses for exclusive commodities?

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,919 posts

I am the official banker for the Duch de Coeur.

You can contact me anytime you would like to set up a monetary exchange :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
13 years ago
263 posts
yay! sure :)