SL Olympics of Courts and Pirates

Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
12 years ago
252 posts

To:

All Royal Courts, Pirate Realms and similar worlds of Second Life

Greetings and Salutations:

With some of our lands having been established over 5 years ago, the Royal Courts, Pirate Realms and other similar worlds have been a vibrant part of the Second Life experience for many of us.

Our Lands, collectively, have cultivated and nurtured a unique lifestyle. Though we are all different in our approach to Governance and rp implementation, one fact is hard to deny. We occupy the same time periods, and hence are intertwined.

In the Spirit of the Olympics, I invite all Kingdoms and Realms, to participate in a series of competitions, celebrating our unique place in Second Life and showcasing our way of life.
These competitions are to be non political in organization. All established Courts, Pirate Realms and similar worlds are invited to submit teams for each of the competitions.

As all of us are very aware, it is increasingly difficult to attract more citizens to our lands. It is in our collective best interests to mount a more united front in promoting and attracting new members to our courts and realms. We will not always agree on every issue, but we have more in common then we do differences.

The SL Olympic Games of Courts and Pirates should be a reoccurring event. Traveling from one host region to another , giving all members a chance to showcase their lands and cultures. The Games will be held every 6 months. At the end of the games, the lands that participated will gather, and vote on where to hold the next Games. This will give the chosen lands 6 months to prepare.

These games, I stress, will be non political. They are meant to bring people, from all over, to meet, learn of other lands, and possibly develop closer ties between all the lands that make up our extended community. With that said, in the Spirit of the Olympics, we ask everyone put aside differences for one week. All established Lands will be invited. This is not and endorsement or declaration of a stance on legitimacy of a court or land but an opportunity for all to work together in a positive way. This is non political, so it is open to all that would like to participate. All participating lands will be treated with respect and dignity during the games regardless political differences.

Events:

EnGarde Tournament
Equestrian - Cross Country
Equestrian - Barrel Racing
Naval - Timed Ship Races
Naval - SPD Battle Tournament Single
Naval - SPD Battle Tournament Doubles
Melee Tournament
Melee - SPD Mer Weapons
Footrace - Wife Carry Obstacle Race (idea)
Jousting - A celebration of our Ancient Ways (idea)
*Note: Ideas for other period events are welcomed.

All Lands willing to participate, will send the name of the Olympic Chairman that will represent your lands. Participating lands will be encouraged to have competitions in their respective realms to chose the top 3 to represent them for each event. Where referees are required, participating lands will be asked to submit 2 top citizens, with experience in the event, to serve as impartial referees for the competitions.

We would like to encourage all lands send out notices announcing the games and the list of the events. One never knows when one from your own Kingdome or Realm has a hidden talant at SPD Melee or EnGarde.

Olympic Medals will be awarded. (Designed by Jacon Cortes)

Timetable:
July 30 - Deadline for submission of intent to participate in an event.
July 30-Aug 3 - Competitions in each of the participating lands to choose Olympians to participate in each event.
Aug 4 - Deadline for submission of official names that will participate in each event.
Aug 5 - Opening Ceremonies
Aug 6 to Aug 11 - Event Competitions
Aug 12 - Closing Ceremonies
Aug 15 - Meeting for Selection of Next Location

This is a time, to put past differences aside for a week of fun for everyone. It will not be perfect, but it will be a start to better relationships for all of us.

All established Courts are encouraged to contact Jacon Cortes, for information on participation of your group.

--
His Royal Highness Jacon Cortes de Bexar Prince of Antiquity, Duke of Cumberland, Duque de Bexar, Duc de la Valliere, Marchese di MSB

updated by @jacon-cortes-de-bexar: 15 Oct 2016 09:33:14AM
Marie-Amelie de Tancarville
@marie-amelie-de-tancarville
12 years ago
65 posts

OMG im so excited! y olympic dream will come true! ....now.....what to wear...hmmmm

Aldo Stern
@aldo-stern
12 years ago
157 posts

Hi Jacon,

I think this is a really nice idea. I like the philosophy behind it and it sounds like it would be fun.

I'd like to suggest a couple other possible period events:

* a cannon shoot with targets

* a biathalon with the competitors running a course and shooting targets with muskets or pistols (we used to do this in some of the old west sims I was involved with -- it's like a cross country course where you had to run to a shooting station and break the target before running to the next station and you were timed -- winner has best overall time)

* archery (after all, this was a sport that appealed to many ladies in the 18th century)

* bare-knuckle boxing (even gentlemen, especially, in England were interested in the sport in the 18th century and a friend of Dio's is currently working on a boxing system that can be readily adapted to look right in any historical environment)

I think it's all very do-able especially if we all cooperate in setting up and managing the events, so it doesn't just fall on a small group to do all the work. I will discuss the idea with our management team and then if they like the idea we'll poll our citizens to see if they want to take part.

Marie-Amelie de Tancarville
@marie-amelie-de-tancarville
12 years ago
65 posts

I agree with archery, what about falconry too?

Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
12 years ago
252 posts

Greetings and Salutations...:))

I am so happy to see an interest from the Courts. I like the ideas of archery and falconry and I also like the idea of a cannon shoot...biatholon...and boxing. I would be willing to work with anyone that would like to help set up the events. As Aldo has mentioned in his post, cooperation will be the key.

The idea came to me, as I was watching the pre coverage of the olympics. What has always gotten me since i was young and watched the olympics with my parents, was that...even bitter enemies could put aside differences to come together and compete, in the spirit of sportsmanship. It was my intent, to try and build on that, and extend it to SL and in particular, the courts and realms that are in our time frame.

Aldo, if you can, send me an IM, and we can discuss setting up the events you suggested. I will be sending out a notecard with updates, and I will also post and update here. And Madame Marie=Amelie, I think you and I are in the same boat, where to find that special outfit for the olympic games....:))

Any court that would like to participate, please feel free to IM me directly inworld. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank you again, for the interest.

Jacon

--
His Royal Highness Jacon Cortes de Bexar Prince of Antiquity, Duke of Cumberland, Duque de Bexar, Duc de la Valliere, Marchese di MSB
Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
12 years ago
252 posts

Greetings and Salutations....:))

I am sorry for not getting the update out last night as I said. Terrible day at work rl...grrrr. If only i did not have to eat. Well, I have to say, this event is gearing up in a way I did not expect. First off, I would like to thank everyone, from all the estates that have offered and will be lending help to organizing this. There is no way, we could pull something like this off without help and please know, that Antiquity will help in any way it can to help the next hosts have the Olympics in their home. No offer for help is being turned down....:))

All people that have volunteered to help run some events, please submit to me a nc with the rules and prim count needed to set it up. We have a week to have everyone practice some of the new events. Next Olympics, in six months, everyone will be really prepared. I would suggest, we keep a sort of tournament going on during the 6 months, maybe get rankings for the competitors and keep the interest up for the next Olympics. All the participating estates, can take turns hosting them, so everyone gets a chance to participate and open up their estates to everyone.

Antiquity Olympic Village - To give a more Olympic village feeling to the games for the estates and participants, Antiquity will be allocating 100 prims to each participating estate to set up a display of their estate, info on events and groups, or an Olympic camp for your estate to utilize during the games. They will be a first come first serve basis on location selection. Both Antiquity Caribbean and Sea of Antiquity have vacant homes that may be selected. I will send out lm and more information on the Village in the next update and when you can start claiming. Think of it as a mini sl9b..:P

Event Bracket set up. I ask, that all participating estates, send a nc stating you are sending a person or team to event coordinator for that event. (( example: Notecard to John or Bella Bluesteel, Antiquity will be participating in the Melee Event and will be sending 3 Olympians.)) This way we can start getting the times and days organized for next weeks competition and have an idea how many participants for each event.

Event coordinators, please send me a nc with the rules and a prim estimate for the event your helping host as soon as possible please.

Flags - Would all estates please send a texture of your flag so we can set up the flag area and medal stands. Anyone with scripting experience that could help design a functional flagpole, please contact Jacon Cortes.

Olympic flame - I will be working on this today.
Olympic Medals - Will be working on these every spare min

I will be updating on a regular basis as I get information.

Participants: If I have missed someone, please let me know.

Ocean Realms
Fair Winds
Morgans
Blake
Jollie
New Brunswick
Versailles
Melioria
Feudal Japan
Celtic Isle
Antiquity

Events - Contacts

EnGarde Tournament - Iker Marialla

Equestrian - Cross Country - Jacon Cortes, Twelfthnight Resident -
Equestrian - Barrel Racing - Jacon Cortes, Twelfthnight Resident
Rules will be sent out shorty via update

Naval - Timed Ship Races - Jacon Cortes
Rules and Course will be sent out today

Naval - SPD Battle Tournament Single - Jacon Cortes
Naval - SPD Battle Tournament Doubles - Jacon Cortes
Rules will be sent out today.

Melee Tournament - John and Bella Bluesteel

Melee - SPD Mer Weapons - still could use some guidence on this one.

Jousting - A celebration of our Ancient Ways
Working on getting the venue set up. Will update asap.

Rowboat Races - Looking for a battle rowboat we can use
Rowboat Mini Battles - Looking for a battle rowboat we can use
Any help on these is appreciated.

Mer Swimming Races (thinking we replace with the Sea Horse Races)
Sharp Shooter - Sinshine Moorsider
Snail Races - Captain Zohee Goldshark
Wench Carrying - Captain JuliaThePirate Buccaneer
Spitting Contest, Keg Tossing, Cannon Ball Tossing - Captain Salty Bob/ Bobby Troughton and Corkie Houstan
Sea Horse Races - Kaffe McMahon
Rules for these events will be sent out as soon as I get the from the coordinators

* Falconry
* a biathalon with the competitors running a course and shooting targets with muskets or pistols (we used to do this in some of the old west sims I was involved with -- it's like a cross country course where you had to run to a shooting station and break the target before running to the next station and you were timed -- winner has best overall time)
* archery (after all, this was a sport that appealed to many ladies in the 18th century)
* bare-knuckle boxing (even gentlemen, especially, in England were interested in the sport in the 18th century)

*Note: I received these suggestions for the RoyalCourts.Ning. I have no objections to adding events, just need help organizing it. If you would like to help, please contact me as soon as possible so that we can find a place to have the event and give access to all the estates so their teams can practice.

--
Emily Beckett
@emily-beckett
12 years ago
10 posts

Versailles is participating. I'm looking forward to this!

Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
12 years ago
252 posts

The preparations are going good, I think. Below is an update on each event. as I have it so far. There are a couple things I would like to mention.
The homes in Antiquity Caribbean and Sea of Antiquity, are now available to be claimed by the participating estates. Each estate will up to 100 prims do decorate and prepare you location. In the Olympic tradition of the Olympic Village, it is encouraged to visit your location, host events if you like, so that people can mingle and meet each other. All the facilities in Antiquity will be open for our visitors to use and enjoy while you are here. Consider this, a vacation of sorts. The most important thing is for you and your citizens to enjoy themselves. Contact Jacon Cortes, to secure your location.
We have a newspaper in Antiquity, and I know other realms have the equivalent, my suggestion, is we create a pool of reporters and photographers, to cover events, and share the write ups with the other regions that would like to participate.
Dj's or event coordinators that would like to host an event for their estate, please contact Jacon Cortes to set up stream and such.
I created an Olympic flag for the SL Olympics of Courts and Pirates. We did not have enough time to have a competition, so it can always be replaced. It is based on the Olympic flag, but a bit different, Colored rings in a circular formation, to signifies the over lapping and cooperation between our different lands. The gold signifies the Nobility while the black the Pirates.
Estates, please dont forget to send the texture of the flag you want to use for the opening ceremonies, so we can set up the flag poles. Also, I am still looking for a scripter that may be able to help with the flags. Send flags to Twelfthnight Resident please.
The updates will be moving faster in the coming days, as I recieve information and updates, I will send them out directly.
Events - Contacts
EnGarde Tournament - Iker Marialla

Equestrian - Cross Country - Jacon Cortes, Twelfthnight Resident -
Equestrian - Barrel Racing - Jacon Cortes, Twelfthnight Resident
Rules will be sent out shorty via update

Naval - Timed Ship Races - Jacon Cortes
The course is set up and plotted. I am having problems with the timer but I will buy a new one tonight. All estates are welcome to start practicing.

Naval - SPD Battle Tournament Single - Jacon Cortes
Naval - SPD Battle Tournament Doubles - Jacon Cortes
Rules will be sent out asap.

Melee Tournament - John and Bella Bluesteel
This will be one of our larger events, please try to contact John and Bella. The melee arena is set up and ready to use in Antiquity Tejas.

Melee - SPD Mer Weapons - still could use some guidence on this one.
Jousting - A celebration of our Ancient Ways
The jousting arena is set up in Antiquity Texas. All estates that are participating can practice if needed. Free lances are available, but please bring your horse.

Rowboat Races - Looking for a battle rowboat we can use
Rowboat Mini Battles - Looking for a battle rowboat we can use
Any help on these is appreciated.

Sharp Shooter - Sinshine Moorsider
The venue is set up in Antiquity Tejas and will be open to practicing later during the week.
Snail Races - Captain Zohee Goldshark
Wench Carrying - Captain JuliaThePirate Buccaneer
Spitting Contest, Keg Tossing, Cannon Ball Tossing - Captain Salty Bob/ Bobby Troughton and Corkie Houstan
I am waiting on information on these events and will send out an update when i get one.

Sea Horse Races - Kaffe McMahon
The track is being set up and a lm will be sent out as soon as it is finished.

Rules for these events will be sent out as soon as I get the from the coordinators.

These events, I have not had any input on them. I will give them a couple more days.
* Falconry
* bare-knuckle boxing (even gentlemen, especially, in England were interested in the sport in the 18th century)

*Note: I received these suggestions for the RoyalCourts.Ning. I have no objections to adding events, just need help oranizing it. If you would like to help, please contact me as soon as possible so that we can find a place to have the event and give access to all the estates so thier teams can practice.

--
Kashmir Yves-Masselin
@kashmir-yves-masselin
12 years ago
3 posts

Generalissimo Cortes: I would like to express my deep gratitude for the time you spent with me this morning touring the Olympic Village, specifically the Meliorian Olympic House, and providing me with up to date information concerning events and locations. As I said to you, I believe this idea is inspired. You are truly an apt representative for your various lands. You greeted me with kindness, patience and without regard to station. Other leaders would do well to observe the example you set. Your climate is tropical, and your demeanor is equally warm. If the aim is to increase visitation to the various participating regions, yours should certainly find a larger audience based on the reception afforded me.

Sincrement,

Dame Domaine de Canton

AnaisAnnikHonore, Kashmir Yves-Masselin

Citizen of Melioria and Duche de Coeur

Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
12 years ago
252 posts

Greetings Your Grace,

Thank you for your kind words, I too look forward to meeting you and welcoming you to Antiquity and the games. His Majesty and the Comtesse have set up a lovely place in Port Royal, Antiquity Caribbean for the Versailles Olympic Headquarters. I must confess, I do not know what a mascot does either, but I would be glad to assist in anyway that I can.

Until we meet, Your Grace

Jacon Cortes

Virrey y Duque de Bexar

--
Contessa Elena Marina Foscari
@contessa-elena-marina-foscari
12 years ago
49 posts

I think this is a marvolous idea!!!!! I hope that my laptop and internet stick will support me in attending.

Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
12 years ago
252 posts

Dame Yves Masselin,

Your kind words have left me a bit red faced. I thank you very much for such warm comments. I am very pleased to know that you have found the Meliorian Olympic House location agreeable. I try to be as welcoming as possible, treat everyone with respect, as I would like to be treated. I am of the belief as I mentioned, I am more it takes a village then I am an island. The actual aim of the games, when the idea developed in my mind, was not so much to increase visitation, but communication. I see many more similarities between the baroque, victorian and pirate lands then differences.

The true spirit of the Olympic games are to be able to come together, even the most bitter of enemies, and compete in fair honest and fun competition. The ability to put aside differences for the duration of the games, and enjoy the fun of competition and friendship.

It is my hope we will see get a chance to meet again and visit during the games.

Sincerely,

Jacon Cortes

Virrey y Duque de Bexar

--
Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
12 years ago
252 posts

Greetings Contessa Foscari,

I hope your laptop cooperates and you get to join us. I will look forward to receiving you in Antiquity for the games.

Jacon Cortes

Virrey y Duque de Bexar

--
Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
12 years ago
252 posts

Greetings and Salutations ...:))

In honor of the First SL Olympiad of Courts and Pirates, I am releasing a commemorative medal inspired by the Olympic medals being awarded in the games.

1774_discussions.png

Come by and get a copy.

Go Olympics

Jacon Cortes

Greetings and Salutations ...:))

In honor of the First SL Olympiad of Courts and Pirates, I am releasing a commemorative medal inspired by the Olympic medals being awarded in the games.

Come by and get a copy.

Also, here is a photo of the Olympic Medals that will be awarded.

1775_discussions.jpg

Go Olympics

Jacon Cortes

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Antiquity%20Texas/154/93/23

MONDAY, August 6

Practice at the venues for the other events. No scheduling required - just show up and use the equipment in place.

TUESDAY, August 7th

1 PM - Cross Country Horse Race

3PM - SPD timed sea race

WEDNESDAY, August 8th

1PM - Mer Relay, Marie Galante to Mont Saint Bruno

6 PM - Archery, VanDiemen's Land
Practice range already set up for participants.

THURSDAY, August 9th

1PM - Sovereigns' Ball, Capitol Ballroom, Antiquity Texas

4:00 - Sea Horse Heats
5:00 - Snail Race Heats
6:00 - Sea Horse and Snail Race Finals

FRIDAY, August 10th

1PM - Barrel Racing (Equestrian)

2 PM - Spitting, Tejas
3PM - Barrel Tossing, Tejas
4PM - Cannonball Tossing, Tejas

SATURDAY, August 11th

12:00 noon - Bubble Race, Battle Dock - leggers and mers welcome to enter. Bubble giver will be set up on Battle Dock Monday for practice purposes.

Also Saturday - Finals for ??

Sunday, August 12th

1 PM - Closing Ceremony and Garden Dance, Mont Saint Bruno

EVENTS STILL NEEDING TIMES:

Engarde
SPD Battle
Melee
Jousting
Sharp Shooting
Cannon Target Shooting

--
Lady Aphrodite Macbain
@lady-aphrodite-macbain
12 years ago
27 posts

Congratulations on what promises to be an excellent initiative to bring together the richness and diversity of all the Kingdomes of Realms. I look forward to enjoying all the wonderful events and to meeting new and talented people.

Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
12 years ago
252 posts

Greetings Lady Macbain

Thank you for your well wishes and look forward to receiving you in Antiquity for the games.

--
Quecay
@quecay
12 years ago
123 posts

Congratulations for so opportune and interesting initiative !

Ángel Aramberri de Quevedo
@angel-aramberri-de-quevedo
12 years ago
4 posts

Congratulations to all the medalists, organizers and participants. Is there a list of medalists?

Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
12 years ago
252 posts

I would like to thank everyone that participated in the past Olympics. It was a fun and busy week for many of us. With the medals already awarded, I will be posting the official winners list today.

Thank you again all...:))

--
Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
12 years ago
252 posts

And the results are in.....:)) Congrats to all the winners and competitors. I was because of you, that it was such a great success.

Timed Ship Race
GOLD: pz7 Engineer -- Antiquity
SILVER: Jade Melantha - Morgan Straits
BRONZE: Valencia Chenault - Antiquity

Bubble Race
Gold medal - Elic Epsilon, Fair Winds
SIlver Medal - Valencia Chenault, Antiquity
Bronze Medal - Sinshine Moorsider, Fair Winds

Cross Country
Gold - Jax Souther - Ocean Realms
Silver - Jade Melantha - Morgan Straits
Bronze - MariaAntonia Barenhaut - - Versailles

Barrel Races
Gold - Jade Melantha - Morgan Straits
Silver - tintin tuxing - Ocean Realms
Bronze - MariaAntonio Barenhaut - Versailles

Cannon Shoot
GOLD - Erin Streusel of Fair Winds
SILVER - Rylee Artful of Fair Winds
BRONZE - Valencia Chenault - Antiquity

Melee
Gold: Aleks Piers - Antiquity
Silver: Si Shin - Fair Winds
Bronze: Jhonny Compton - Morgan Straits

Archery
35 METER ARCHERY
Gold: Louise Adelaide Bourbon - Versailles
Silver: Empress Amza - Renaissance Island
Bronze: Salty Bob - Morgan Straits

50 METER ARCHERY
Gold: Jade Melantha - Morgan Straits
Silver: Abb Joseph Marie Terray - Versailles
Bronze: Louise Adelaide Bourbon - Versailles

Sharp Shooting
Gold - Si Shinn - Fair Winds
Silver - Moe Menna - Fair Winds
Bronze Mordici Resident - Ocean Realms

EnGarde
Gold - Vance Nirvana - Celtic Isle
Silver - Tom Avora - Celtic Isle
Bronze- CrazyGerry - Morgan Straits

Mer Relay Race
Gold: Zohee Goldshark - Morgan Straits
Gold: Syrena - Morgan Straits
Gold: Tempi - Morgan Straits

Silver: IceeLilOne Resident - Antiquity
Silver: Pearce Kingsley - Antiquity
Silver: Tiamat Windstorm - Antiquity
(2 teams only, no bronze.)

Mer Sea Horse Races
Gold - Renonys d'Aquitaine of Melioria
Silver - Zohee Goldshark - Morgan Straits
Bronze - Prissy 206 Hammand - Antiquity

Mer Snail Races
Gold -Zohee Goldshark - Morgan Straits
Silver: Pearce Kingsley - Antiquity
Bronze: none (2 teams only)

Spitting Contest
Gold Mordici Resident -Ocean Realms
Silver Seann Gothly - Morgan Straits
Bronze Jade Melantha - Morgan Straits

Barrel Tossing
Gold - Seann Gothly - Morgan Straits
Silver - Brie Oskar - Morgan Straits
Bronze - Jade Melantha - Morgan Straits

Cannonball Tossing
Gold - Seann Gothly - Morgan Straits
Silver - Jade Melantha - Morgan Straits
Bronze - Mordici Resident -Ocean Realms

Double Naval Battle
Gold: pz7 Engineer/Contessa Wizardly - Antiquity
Silver: Owaci Menna, Moe Menna and Elic Epsilon - Fair Winds
Bronze Valencia Chenault/Aleks Piers- Antiquity

Singles Naval Battle
Gold: Sinshine Moorsider - Fair Winds
Silver: Elic Epsilon - Fair Winds
Bronze: Aleks Piers - Antiquity

Jousting
Gold: Kzebo Rufus White Knight Rangers
Silver: nova Coba Double Dragon Academy
Bronze: Jander Falodir Celtic Isle

--