Living History
Donate to LHVW

Remains of first Brazilian emperor and his two wives exhumed for study.One of the empress body is mummified.

Leopoldina
@leopoldina
11 years ago
280 posts

pedro-corpo.jpg?width=100

DpedroI-brasil-full.jpg?width=200

The remains of Emperor Pedro I(1798-1834), founder and first ruler of the Empire of Brazil, were exhumed for the first time for study, a local daily reported Monday.

The study on them can help experts to clarify mysteries of the life and death of the emperor and his family. For example, by analyzing the emperor's remains, scientists have confirmed that he was a man of athletic build,and was around 5 feet tall.

They have also confirmed that Pedro I broke four left ribs, which rendered his left lung practically useless and probably caused the tuberculosis that killed him in 1834.

leopoldina-corpo.jpg?width=150

29-_Imperatriz_rainha_D._Leopoldina.jpg?width=300

Tests have also overthrown a popular theory about the death of Empress Leopoldina(1797-1826),it was believed she had fallen or been thrown by the Emperor down the stairs of the palace and broken a femur, which caused her premature death. However, CAT scans showed the empress never broke any bone in her life.((Still,there is records that Leopoldina was kicked by the Emperor while pregnant,which resulted on her death.))

4_-_Victor_Hugo_Mori_600_com_credito.jpg?width=250 m%C3%A3os-de-D.-Am%C3%A9lia.jpg?width=250

amelia+oleo+brasiliana.jpg?width=100

Scientists were also surprised to discover that the body of Empress Amelia(1812-1876), Pedro I's second wife, was mummified. Her hair, eyelashes, nails and some internal organs, such as the uterus, were perfectly preserved, even though there were no previous records of any special conservation techniques used on the empress's corpse.

Source ( x )

I used a english source for easier showing,but there is a lot more info on brazilian links.I added in (( )) another info also.

I don't know about you guys,but for me,this news are really exciting!

updated by @leopoldina: 06 Oct 2016 06:17:57AM
Charles Xavier de Bonald
@charles-xavier-de-bonald
11 years ago
23 posts

This may be of some interest to you, the exhumation of the last Medici Grand Duke of Tuscany, Gian Gastone:

Louis XVI
@louis-xvi
11 years ago
11 posts

My, my! And one would have thought Gian Gastone couldn't have gotten any uglier.

MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
11 years ago
647 posts

On one side I find it very interesting, on the other side... I think it is terribly creepy. Thank you for sharing.

Jean-Matisse
@jean-matisse
11 years ago
30 posts

indeed...it is really exciting...ty for this informations...

Lady Aphrodite Macbain
@lady-aphrodite-macbain
11 years ago
27 posts

Fascinating and somewhat horrifying. I wonder what conditions kept the Empress' organs in such good condition.

Maurice Jules de Fiennes
@maurice-jules-de-fiennes
11 years ago
1 posts

thats really interesting. Does it say where her body was placed for it not to go in to regular decomp. I do find that very interesting and from what it looks like the gown was in good condition also