Donate to LHVW

Reluctant Renovator: Are We There Yet?

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
10 years ago
1,902 posts

It's been eighteen months since we embarked on

our renovation journey

and I've finally gotten around to asking myself if "we're there yet".

I have a sneaking suspicion that, for me at least, when it comes to our home renovation we're never actually going to arrive, simply because my "there" is a tad too Utopian.

Far from being frustrated, I'm actually very content with this idea of a never-ending renovation journey especially since I'm now enjoying some major accomplishments. All this to say that it's a excellent time to take stock of what we've done, where we are, and where we want to go from here.

First things first though ...

Who Are We?

We're a family of six living out in the 'burbs of Ottawa. As you can see, three members of the family happen to be of the canine variety which, believe you me, complicates any home design/decoration project we undertake. Our dogs are well-trained & well-behaved (and the only members of the family willing to have their pictures posted on social media) but it still pays to be proactive in creating an inclusive environment.

I'll probably be mentioning design decisions based on the dogs much more often than those based on my husband or daughter.

With the exception of our daughter, this is our "forever" home. We've been here a while and have no intention of moving; renovation for resale is not on our minds.

We basically know what works and what doesn't; figuring out how to fix various problems is another story.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 06 Oct 2016 06:28:34AM
Aldo Stern
@aldo-stern
10 years ago
157 posts

I'm sure the dogs are very helpful.

Actually I think with any process like this -- building a sim, a home or a community -- it is never done. If it is, then the thing you a building is no longer alive.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
10 years ago
1,902 posts

It's true, Aldo! The dogs were helpful according to their personalities.

Lacy, the German Shepherd, inspected every tradesperson that came in to insure they were trustworthy and then kept a continual eye on them to make sure they weren't going to cause problems.

Karma, the Sheltie, was more welcoming & made friends with everyone.

3001_discussions.jpg

Buffy, the Poodle, was more interested in the design details. I had the feeling that she was accessing every change to make sure it was worthy of her princess status ;)

You raise an excellent point about a entity staying alive through change, I couldn't agree more :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site