Living History
Donate to LHVW

France: Louis XIV, Louis XV, Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,902 posts

The history of France from1638 to 1793isa subject that isverywell covered in our Royal Courts roleplay, from the Sun King Louis XIV , through his great-grandson Louis XV and his grandson Louis XVI . And let's not forget the ladies, Marie Antoinette , Madame Pompadour , the list extends on and on.

I have to admit that I've probably spent more time reading about the art, architecture and gardens of this time period so I'm really looking forward to your biographical recommendations as well as anything else you have discovered and loved!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 06 Oct 2016 06:08:44AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,902 posts
I'm afraid that my contributions to this category are kind of limited so please help me out.

Of course I've read Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette: The Journey which inspired the film by Sofia Coppola . Ienjoyed both the movie and the book though they really are two different beasts. I've seen the film a number of times and I can't help focusing most of my attention on the architecture and ignoring the story!

Marie Antoinette: The Journey ir?t=widgetsamazon-20&l=bil&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=0385489498 ir?t=widgetsamazon-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=0385489498

Marie-Antoinette and the Last Garden at Versailles by Christian Duvernoisir?t=widgetsamazon-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=0847830683 Photographs by Franois Halard is one of my favourite reference books, one that I often quote when writing. It's taught me a lot about the Queen's Estates and I always appreciate Duvernois approach with regard to the character of Marie Antoinette as he takes pains to emphasize her intelligence, social conscience and excellent taste.

ir?t=widgetsamazon-20&l=bil&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=0847830683
The Private Realm of Marie Antoinette by Marie-France Boyer and ir?t=widgetsamazon-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=0500286329 Franois Halard is a nice companion piece continuing on with Halard's wonderful photography.

ir?t=widgetsamazon-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=0500286329

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
MariaAntonia Barenhaut
@margaret-maria-lady-verney
13 years ago
125 posts

As part of my role at La Cour Royale de France, I have done a tremendous amount of research these past few years, however surprisingly I haven't read that many biographical books (though I am desperate for a one of my own character, Victoire de Rohan, which I believe would be a very interesting read lol). So far I have read three books, which have all been related to either Marie Antoinette or the REvolution.

1305_discussions.jpg

The 'must' read, of course is the fabulous biography by Antonia Fraser - which I have not managed to finish yet

1306_discussions.jpg

The second being the Scarlet Pimpernel, which I bought after buying and watching the film, which I found fabulous - I haven't finished this one either

1307_discussions.jpg

Another of my reads is this fabulous interpretation of the life of Marie Antoinette, which to my surprise, was in fact much more interesting and accurate then I had first imagined. Although heavily fictionalised, with many odd twists, it is generally faithful. My favourite section would be the ending chapters which describe in detail the flight to Varennes, the return to Paris and the ultimate imprisonment and execution. (Surprisingly this is the only book on the subject I've actually managed to finish lol)

1308_discussions.jpg

Although, I have seen the film, which is probably my favourite historical drama, I am desperate to read the actual novel - I did come across some in Paris, but naturally they were in french :P

1309_discussions.jpg

And the book I am reading at this very moment (which I definitely plan to finish before returning to the others) is Queen of Fashion, which provides a fabulous insight into the life of Marie Antoinette, revolving on her infamous wardrobe. A definite must for the fashion lovers of the Royal Courts :P

Marie-Antoinette d'Autriche
@marie-antoinette-dautriche
13 years ago
43 posts

Well, with Antoinette, of course, Antonia Fraser. I actually don't own this book as it (surprisingly to me) is only available in German for the Kindle, which is how I've bought new books lately. But I've had it several times from the library. I agree with you, Tat, on the movie - maybe it's because of knowing the story, maybe it's because of Kirsten Dunst's California girl accent, but it's hard to not start "watching" the background and the clothes! Although I *adore* Steve Coogan as Mercy and I actually really liked Jason Schwartzman as Louis XVI, I thought he caught the slightly bumbling yet regal and essentially kind nature of the man.

There is also Carolly Erickson's To the Scaffold. She is more terse and doesn't go on about some things the way Lady Antonia does, though at times I actually wanted more detail, ah well. If you've read any of her Tudor-era bios, you'll know what to expect.

Queen of Fashion is fascinating and I have read it several times as well as dipping into it over and over; it's because of her documentation that I have the dauphine ride astride and in men's riding clothes at the hunts! I think at times she claims a little too much for Antoinette (did ladies adopt the gaulle *because* she wore it? um - I don't think so, it was a little more complex than that ...), however, there is no question that Antoinette's style choices and, especially, her real and then imagined expenditures on and obsession with clothing and jewels, were a huge part of her public profile and remained so even years after she moderated her habits, even after the family was removed from Versailles. I would also have liked to have had more information on what the fashions looked like, I think Weber could have done a much better job of illustrating this. To really understand women's dress of the period, I recommend several books below.

With Antoinette I also recommend the memoirs of Campan and Mme de la Tour du Pin (which is just a fascinating memoir in its own right, unfortunately not currently in print in English), to get the flavor of the world around her. Campan can be a bit self-aggrandizing and dramatic, and the Marquise is not a big fan of Antoinette, but both women were close to her and observed her, and the courtiers around her, minutely and left interesting records behind them.

For costume, to understand the outfits that people wore, my absolute favorite book is Costume in Detail: Women's Dress 1730-1930. This book has gorgeous line drawings that show clearly how gowns were constructed and then held together on top of ladies' bodies. Janet Arnold is also very good, and a fun book for considering how you might actually structure a wardrobe is Whatever Shall I Wear? A Guide to Assembling a Woman's Basic 18th C. Wardrobe; this book is aimed at lower- and middle-class North American Revolutionary-era reenactors but the basics of wardrobe were the same, an upper class woman would just have dozens of pairs of stockings, in silk, instead of a few of cotton or wool, francaises in silk and anglaises in polished cotton, a huge variety of hats, a number of fans and other accoutrements, and grands habits if they went to court. Of course, for real eye candy, there is Dangerous Liasons, the companion book to a wonderful show put on by the Metropolitan Museum of Art some years back. I highly recommend it to see both ladies' and gentlemen's clothes as they were worn, in period settings. Nom nom. There are tons of others if you start looking on Amazon, including Dress in France in the 18th Century, which I haven't read but it looks wonderful.

Re: Louis XIV, again, Antonia Fraser has a fun book out, The Life and Loves of Louis XIV, which includes my personal favorite member of the House of Habsburg, Anne d'Autriche, Louis XIV's mother and his regent after he ascended the throne at the age of 5. If you can get your hands on it, Nancy Mitford's "The Sun King" (sadly out of print) is also a great read. And for a fascinating drama that swirled around Paris in the 1770s and 80s and reached up to the king himself, in the person of his mistress Mme de Montespan, there is The Affair of the Poisons, a book which is very scholarly but also deeply, deeply interesting and very illustrative of court intrigues as well as the relationship between Paris and the court.

Tat, the books featuring Halard's photography look gorgeous and I will try to get my hands on them. The book on the Domaine must be a dream!!

Maria, I have tried to find Liasions Dangereuses in English, no luck. It seems odd to me, but, there we are!! :(

Lady Bluebird of Orkney
@lady-bluebird-of-orkney
13 years ago
81 posts

Dangerous Liaisons / Liaisons Dangereuses is available in English translation in paperback and via Kindle through the Amazon (USA) website, and - best of all worlds - in stock and inexpensive. :-)

Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
13 years ago
471 posts

Read the book,seen the film :) Liked it/them very much too (though in my case I couldnt stop watching the costumes in the film lol)

Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
13 years ago
471 posts
Lol that is the film Scarlet Pimpernel from1982.... I love that version! :D
MariaAntonia Barenhaut
@margaret-maria-lady-verney
13 years ago
125 posts
I love it too! - Weirdly though, that's what my book and DVD cover bothlook like, but I couldn't find a version without the certificate things lol
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,902 posts

Thanks for all the references - I'm going to have a great time diving into them!! I can't decide where to start, it's either Queen of Fashion or The Life and Loves of Louis XIV.

I've been using Kobo as my eReader (being from Canada) and I'm just investigating Calibre software to help expand my choices.

Yes, Halard's photos are wonderful, almost the next best thing to being there. In The Private Realm he has quite a few detail shots so if you like looking at all the intricate details this one's for you.

--
Marie-Antoinette d'Autriche
@marie-antoinette-dautriche
13 years ago
43 posts

Oooooohh you're right! I discovered my error was that I'd been looking a while ago on amazon.ca, which often has more limited choices, but now that I have my Kindle - yay!