Living History
Donate to LHVW

Versailles on Google Cardboard

Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
9 years ago
252 posts

Greetings and Salutations All...:)

For the past few months, I have been following OpenSim and virtual worlds on www.HypergridBusiness.com . This week, an article was posted about how Google Cardboard had surpassed 15 million downloads. After reading the article, I thought now would be a good time to try the platform and see exactly what it is like. I did a couple google searches on Google Cardboard Apps and reviews, and came across this mention of Versailles.

In a list of the best google cardboard apps http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-phones/1401462/best-google-cardboard-apps-virtual-worlds-for-android-phones , the brief review of the Google Cardboard App mentions, " Your first stop should certainly be Google's own Cardboard app. Our favourite here is undoubtedly Windy Day, where you can watch an animated sequence about a mouse, or simply look up and marvel at the trees overhead. After that we recommend you take a virtual tour of Versailles in Tour Guide. The Street Vue takes you on a journey through Paris using Street View imagery."

I am not quite sure what it is, but I am thinking its a 360 degree view of one of the rooms in the palace. If anyone has tried this, I would love to hear from you about it. I also have ordered a basic Cardboard kit, to try it out myself. I will update later on what I find.

Of the reviews of Cardboard I have read, they mostly all state, Cardboard is not an Oculus, but, it is a good first taste for people to see what is possible and a good low cost way to experience VR (Virtual Reality). Oculus is due out in the 1st quarter of 2016, with Sony and others, fast on their heels. Samsung is also releasing its VR Gear for christmas. Many in the industry believe that VR will be a major player in the years to come. Movies, concerts, and gaming will all have some sort of VR aspect to it.

I too am of the opinion that this will have a big impact on all that mentioned, but also in VW (Virtual Worlds). This type of platform will change how we can interact in the lands we create. A totally new way to immerse yourself in what we have created. Showcase our lands for a type of Virtual Tourism.

Just think, maybe soon, everyone will be able to experience walking through all the beautiful estates we have here in SL. Oculus is already supported by LL, but a bit pricey. Cardboard is not, I don't think. I hope in the next couple years, as VR comes more into the mainstream, the prices for the viewers will become more affordable.

It looks like VW's and VR may have a bright future and could bring in a whole new generation of tourists and possible new residents similar to the influx in 06-07 boom in SL. With VR just starting out, there is not much content out yet for people to experience. SL and us in general, have everything established, ready, already built and are in a perfect position to benefit.

My google Cardboard arrives later this week, and I will update on what tour of Versailles is. Anyone that has tried it or and anyone that has thoughts on what I have brought up on VR, I would love to hear them

--
His Royal Highness Jacon Cortes de Bexar Prince of Antiquity, Duke of Cumberland, Duque de Bexar, Duc de la Valliere, Marchese di MSB

updated by @jacon-cortes-de-bexar: 06 Oct 2016 06:37:30AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,903 posts

Very interesting, Jacon!

Thanks for posting, I'm looking forward to hearing more.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
9 years ago
313 posts

Google Cardboard is a smart, smart approach to get fast penetration of the market ....the price is right and minimal learning curve.

Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
9 years ago
252 posts

yes...it is.....and I think it will usher in a whole new dimension to our worlds. As people scramble to create good content for these types of viewers, SL has thousands of regions already developed ready to explore. My biggest question is, although we know that SL is doing Sansar, what will Facebook do with Oculus. Will facebook build a virtual world to push Oculus? Secondlife is just a 3D version of a social network. Can create groups, host events, communicate with friends and family. Would be nice if they all would settle on one base code, like HTML did for the internet, that virtual worlds would be able to connect to each other and allow a true metaverse. Open Sim comes to mind. Lets hope its more substance to this Virtual Reality hype then in the past.

--
His Royal Highness Jacon Cortes de Bexar Prince of Antiquity, Duke of Cumberland, Duque de Bexar, Duc de la Valliere, Marchese di MSB
Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
8 years ago
252 posts

Greetings. Now this is really a blast from the past update. I did get my Google Cardboard and it did indeed have a 360 photo of Versailles you can view through it. I must say it is pretty cool. It is static but you can turn and look around various locations in Versailles.

But what reminded me about this update, was today I was attempting to search for Second Life Gear VR when I stumbled on a post talking about using Google Cardboard in Second Life

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Real-VR-inside-Second-Life-with-Google-Cardboard-and-Trinus-Gyre/td-p/2890730

It works. You get 1 hour i believe of demo, and then full access to the app is 0.99 cents.

it is a bit choppy but I did get to see Buckingham. It works. Anyone else that tries it out....I would like to hear your experience.

--