Living History
Donate to LHVW

What does your Second Life profile say about you?

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,900 posts

I quite enjoyed this article written by Canary Beck:

What does your Second Life profile say about you?

Here are a few snippets:

My profile (including all my tabs) is comprehensive, professional, up to date, and a good place for me to share my interests and the projects I get up to. If Ihad to classify it, itd be a bit more like a CV (Curriculum Vitae, or rsum ), than say, a casual social media profile. I dont expect everyone to write their profile the wayI write mine, but I do wonder what peopleare thinking when they write their profiles.

Like it or not, many people will judge you by your profile well before theyrecognizethe real you.In a way, I can see value in reading profiles with shoddy, offensive, negative or threatening information its much easier for me to dismiss you as someone I may not want to get to know better, saving both of us time and energy better spent elsewhere.In fact, Ill often invest more time and energy with a newbie with a sparse or empty profile than with the type Ive described above. At the very least, theyre not repelling me away.

Of course after reading it, I immediately reviewed my own profile to see how up to date it was and what it was "saying" about me.

Like Canary, I also tend to initially judge people by their profiles. I never could understand those profiles that told me to "take a hike" right off the bat. Maybe it's a generational thing ;)

So how about you? What do you think your profile says about you?

What do you like seeing in other profiles & how do you interpret them?

Are thereprofiles that you really admire? What do you like about them?

How do you distinguish between your RP & RL personas or do you?

So many questions, so little time :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 06 Oct 2016 06:36:04AM
Claire-Sophie de Rocoulle
@claire-sophie-de-rocoulle
9 years ago
112 posts

I was just wondering about this issue. Mainly because I deleted my profile before I went on my European trip to just write Away on Holiday and who to contact for sim restarts. Unfortunately I didnt save my profile I had for a year (*hits head against keyboard cryingWhyyy*) and now I have to come up with a new one -_-

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,900 posts

Ouch! That hurts, especially if you had one that you really liked.

I guess you could take this opportunity to have something brand new & shiny. I find that as the years go by my profile gets shorter not longer. Go figure.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Jane Ixtar
@jane-ixtar
9 years ago
115 posts

I have a good picture of you inspecting thetulips Claire-Sophie ... you need the tulips up.

Jane Ixtar
@jane-ixtar
9 years ago
115 posts

Someone once said to me 'less is more'. I don't know.

Curtis
@curtis
9 years ago
103 posts
Well, My Profile to extessive to fit in my SL page, so you need to read it hear on Royal Cort, or on my FB page.What dose it say about me, Humm?, not really sure, it a Life, a Alternate Life, but I do belive it still me, some where in all of that.Sincerly, BrendonPatrick MacRory
Louis Alexandre de Launay
@louis-alexandre-de-launay
9 years ago
6 posts

In SL (or st. elswhere) I live my character, courteous. decorous and unless someone breaks thought this somehow, I am the 18th century gentleman you meet in virtuality. LA