Market
Donate to LHVW

CdT Cabinet Anversois

Catherine de Tremont
@catherine-de-tremont
8 years ago
2 posts

a.cabinetanversois1.png Lorsque nous évoquons les cabinets, nous les rattachons immédiatement au XVII° siècle. En réalité leur vogue commence dès le milieu du XVI° siècle. Le cabinet est un meuble se composant d'un corps d'armoire muni de multiples tiroirs et casiers dissimulés ou non par des vantaux le tout supporté par un piètement élevé.
Il faut noter qu'il constitue le premier exemple d'ébénisterie. En effet, le bâti est recouvert d'un placage d'ébène dans la plupart des cas ou de tout autre matériau plaqué ou incrusté.
Les cabinets sont dus à de nombreuses influences. Ainsi, ceux que nous pouvons rencontrer en France sont dus à des artisans des Pays-Bas, d'Italie et d'Allemagne.
A l'origine, ils faisaient office de coffre à bijoux pour les dames et sont ensuite devenus des meubles de collectionneurs et ont donné leur nom à la pièce qui les abritait. Ce sont des meubles d'apparat que tout homme cultivé du XVII° siècle se doit d'avoir. Toutes les résidences royales et les personnages importants en possèdent un. a.cabinetanversois1.png

updated by @catherine-de-tremont: 31 Oct 2016 08:30:01AM
Zed Tremont
@zed-tremont
8 years ago
14 posts

Since many people on the website know English better then French I'll try to make a translation for Catherine, please forgive me for some mistakes, both languages are foreign for me so it want go without an effort.

The moment we think about cabinets we automatically make the link with the XVII century. In fact the fashion starts in the middle of the XVI century. This piece of furniture set up as a cupboard with a multitude of drawers and spaces which might be hidden or not. Those, often masterpieces of craftsmanship where elevated by some decorative feet.

Cabinets were the first examples of cabinet work (ébénisterie), finding the term in English I presume it has a fairly good chance the word is even extracted from it. Very often Ebony veneer was used to to cover the surface but ivory, mother of pearl and other very valuable materials where used.

Cabinets have been influenced from many sides. Pieces that still can be found in France today are made by artisans of what is now Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy and Germany. (little add on) As I'm Flemish and lived in Antwerp for quite some time I've seen many examples of these exquisite pieces of art. Antwerp used to be one of the important centres for the production.

In the beginning cabinets where used as a decorative storage place for jewellery, afterwards they became crownpieces for collectors of art, they became a mean to showcase very precious small objects to select people. It was an honour if you could see the treasures they held. The centre piece mostly had mirrors on the side with arcades to be able to see the object in the centre from all sides without having to touch it.

Any person of standing had to have one during the XVII and for quite a while had to have one. All royal residence had some, many can be found nowadays in musea and private collections.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,900 posts

Merci beaucoup, Catherine & Zed!

Cabinets were indeed wonderful works of art created by the finest craftsmen.  Lovely to read some of their history here :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site