Queen's Hamlet
Donate to LHVW

Adopt a Goat

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

Adorable, extremely useful, and historically accurate to the Queen's Hamlet. goats are the perfect livestock option for the QH Co-op. Adopt-a-Goat is a way to spread some of the joy & profit they bring.

809_discussions.png

THE ADOPT-A-GOAT PROGRAM

On occasion, the QH Co-op will be able to provide Co-op Members with goats that have been breed and raised as part of the Hamlet animal husbandry program. The terms of an adoption are as follows:

• The goat(s) will be free of charge
  • All wool, milk, meat & skin is the property of the adoptive member and are considered to be a product of the Co-op
  • Milk produced may be fed into the Co-op Cheese Factory, the resulting goat cheese being the property of the adoptive member
  • The goat(s) will be housed at the member's private residence
  • The member is responsible for the provision of a feeding station(s) as well as the necessary grain & water
  • If the member can no longer care for the goat, it can be returned to the Co-op

The number of goats made available will depend on Co-op members. Please post here to indicate interest so that we can start an adoption waiting list.

((The above is the TL;DR version. The intrepid may find the following interesting but it's not imperative for adoption))

810_discussions.png?width=750

BASIC FACTS & CARE

One goat consumes:

• one sack of grain every 7.5 days
  • one bucket of water every 1.25 days

A goat:

• Goes from birth to adult in 4 days
  • Lives approximately 40 days
  • Can get pregnant every 8 days
  • Survives in inventory only for a short time
  • Sheared every 6 days
  • Milked at least twice a day but is not hurt if milked less. Only females that have at least one kid produce milk so we will try to send them for adoption after their first pregnancy.

GENETICS

811_discussions.jpg?width=256

Genetics are where things really get interesting as they account for colour of wool (there are 9 variants), frequency of milk production, quantity of meat production and skin quality.

Our "foundation stock" Queenie & Axel are special in that they are "multi-breeds' meaning that they can pass on all 9 variants for wool to their offspring while the rest of their genetic characteristics are only average, i.e. 5/10.

Queenie & Axel will produce average, "crossbred" kids (maximum of 2 colour variants per kid) and the goal of our breeding program will be to develop a herd of "purebred" goats (only 1 colour variant), with excellent characteristics, in as many colour variants as we can.

It's a fun challenge and since I haven't had much experience with "breedables" I've got a lot of theories & spreadsheets to go on.

With a bit of luck and help from the community I hopefully won't follow this route:

812_discussions.png?width=256

Questions, comments, advice; please post all of those here or give me a shout inworld.

For specific goat pedigrees see the QH Book of Goats.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 22 Oct 2016 04:28:18AM
Stangbo Humlan
@stangbo-humlan
8 years ago
14 posts

I have 3 new born goats for someone or some to adopt. 1 Boy 2 girls all white. Born today.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

A bit out of the ordinary; two Northern females for adoption

Fanetta 2016-06-01 F Northern - Pure 10 Excellent 10

Fifi 2016-05-24 F Northern - Pure 10 Excellent 10

Also have males of many kinds if you're looking for something in particular :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Bebe Begonia
@bebe-begonia
8 years ago
10 posts

We Need A Good Home!

I have newborn (twin) sister-cousins needing new homes!

Fay 2016-05-29 F Black & White Pure

Ella 2016-05-30 F Black & White Pure

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

For Adoption (or a white purebred female, if you have one!) - lots of males for me:

Theo 2016-05-01 white crossbred 10 Excellent

Hector 2016-05-09 white crossbred 10 Excellent

Henri 2016-05-11 white crossbred 10 Excellent

Hercule 2016-05-16 white crossbred 10 Excellent
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION:

Damien 2016-04-27 M Brown & White Grey Cross 10 Normal

Elliot 2016-05-09 M White Pure 10 Excellent

Edgar 2016-05-22 M Grey Grey & White Cross

Gaetan 2016-05-25 M White Pure 10? Excellent?

Gabby 2016-05-25 F White Grey Cross

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION:

Eamon 2016-05-13 M Black & White Pure 10 Normal

Felicity 2016-05-17 F Grey Cross

Damien 2016-04-27 M Brown & White Grey Cross 10 Normal

Edgar 2016-05-22 M Grey Grey & White Cross

Looking For:

A youngish Female, in Black or Northern

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

Looking to trade:

Darla a Female Brown Crossbred Born 2016-05-09

For:

A youngish Female, in Grey. Grey & White, Black, Northern or Grey & White & Black

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

TRADE-A-GOAT

Now that everyone on the Adoption List has been given a starter pair of goats, I thought it would be a good time to open the process up for either a bit of trading or just free to a good home.

Please list what you have to give and/or what you would like to acquire!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

The Adopt-a-Goat program got off to a rather slow start as we keep getting more males than females. Males are nice and all but trying to milk them can get you into a whole lot of trouble - "No Cheese For You!!".

In any case, a first pair has been adopted and are doing well. Here's a picture courtesy of Claire-Sophie their new owner, who I understand is currently spoiling them rotten :)

813_discussions.jpg

--

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 10 Aug 2017 08:27:07AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

I've been thinking about you and your "experience" :))

I'll certainly add you!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

I'm currently giving each Co-op member a free allowance of LI=10 (after that LI may be rented for L$15 per prim per 4 weeks). This allowance is also meant to include barrels of water and vendors used in the Market.

A goat has LI=5 and the Feeding Station has LI=3, so I could set up a spot for you in the Hamlet and it would be within your free allowance.

I didn't mention this in the official text as I don't know how many spots I can actually offer like this (a few but not too many) but if you'd like one we can arrange it.

--
Bebe Begonia
@bebe-begonia
8 years ago
10 posts

I'm an *experienced* virtual breeder- genetics being my favorite aspect! I'll give it a go - would you put me on the waiting list?

Bessie Hull
@satoharu-nakamura
8 years ago
41 posts

What if you want to adopt a goat, but you don't have a private residence?

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,889 posts

WAITING TO ADOPT:

Claire-Sophie de Rocoulle Got her first pair of goats, Arabella & Armand on April 12th!

Bebe Begonia Got her fist pair of goats, Babette & Beau on April 21st!

Hatsuka started with Delphine then added Fitz.

Stangbo Humlan started with Claire then added Devin.

Frances Stuart/Lady Hartfield started with Bella & Alexandre.

--