Queen's Hamlet
Donate to LHVW

QH Signature Wines

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
6 years ago
1,889 posts

The Queen's Hamlet has received official recognition for winemaking.  This " appellation of origin   is the indication of origin of the wine. It is applied to certain wines that comply with strict rules based on geographical location, the type of grape, its transformation, processing and packaging."  

Along with the appellation comes a ranking system showing not only how we compare to other vineyards and but how our efforts compare to our work of previous years.  The ranking algorithm is still rather nebulous but we know that:

To participate in the ranking of appellations of origin, you must obtain barrels of Great Reserve wine with your appellation of origin and number them in your sim. Only these numbered barrels will be counted in the ranking. Against more number barrels, your ranking will be higher, but the quantity is not the only factor.

•    The best appellations of origin should achieve homogeneity in their wines, so think carefully which barrels you are going to number. If you number barrels of wine of many different types, palate, aromas or nuances, you will be penalized in the score.

Given these parameters, I'm trying to develop "signature" wines that not only do well in the rankings but are meaningful to our specific roleplay.  I decided that it would be interesting if each of our wines reflected the characteristics of the historical figures associated with Versailles / The Queen's Hamlet. 

A first attempt has yielded the following:

Warm Red 01.png

Louis XIV (ACKECD) is a Warm Red Wine with Spices & Orange Aroma and Cinnamon & Citrus Nuances.  As befitting the Sun King, this is a complex wine with all six genes having a value in what I think is a very pleasing combination.

I will be using Orange as an aroma for all of the signature wines as I love it's association with Louis & Versailles itself.  Given that, it goes to follow that Citrus would be an appropriate nuance.

The same logic is applied to the aroma of spices with a cinnamon nuance.  I'm particularly delighted by the historical detail that the hot chocolate introduced to the French Court by Anne of Austria (Louis XIV's mother) was flavoured with spices including cinnamon.  Let us imagine that Louis took this blend one step further for his signature wine.

Light Sparkling 01.png

Marie Antoinette (DBAE00) is a Light Sparkling Wine with Wood & Orange Aroma.  Of course MA had to have a signature wine!  This first version has only three of the six possible genes and I like to think it reflects her personality as a young dauphine before she developed more complex nuances.  

It has the orange aroma and the wood can be interpreted as a nod to her love of informal English gardens and wooded areas surrounding the Petit Trianon.

A more complex version (DBAECD) is currently being developed and will add the royal cinnamon & citrus nuances first seen in the Louis XIV.

Light Rose 01.png

Pompadour (CBAE00) is a Light Rosé Wine with Wood & Orange aroma.  A nod to Madame Pompadour, known for her exquisite taste and forever associated with the Petit Trianon.  Again, this wine has only three of the six possible genes and I'm plotting to make it more complex in it's final iteration. Stay tuned for the results!

As I mentioned in QH Wine Making 3.0: Getting Started  this winemaking system is a whole lot of fun especially when you can create a backstory that guides your development goals. 

Please accept our open invitation to drop by our Winery  for a drink or two of your favourite!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 16 Oct 2018 02:45:15PM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
6 years ago
1,889 posts

Seems that lately I've been spending a lot of time musing about wine!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
6 years ago
1,889 posts

Woohoo!  We have our very first "numbered" wine and as luck would have it it's a "Marie Antoinette" Light, Sparkling.

You can visit it at the Winery where it will soon be joined by a numbered "Louis XIV" and "Pompadour".

TatianaDokuchicFirst QH Numbered Wine.png

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
6 years ago
1,889 posts

As promised, the Light Sparkling has also been upgraded with nuances added and is now being produced.

Light Sparkling 02.png

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

Warm Rose 01.png

The Pompadour has been updated to (CCAECD) a Warm Rosé Wine with Wood & Orange aroma and Cinnamon & Citrus nuances

With some help from Abbondio, I'm now working on a Light White with an Orange & Honey aroma.  Should be divine when it's done.

In other exciting wine news, the QH vineyard is now in the list of wines used by Black Market!

--