Living History
Donate to LHVW

ROYAL COURTS FENCING TOURNAMENTS.... NOW BEGINNING!

Lord Myron de Verne
@lord-myron-de-verne
14 years ago
113 posts

Fencing, just as horse riding and hunting, was a mainstay ofeveryday life in the 17th and 18th Century, for the higher classes, Nobles and rich Bourgeois...but it fascinated the "common" people as well, and many of them loved fencing and tried their luck at it, some in the hope of becoming

"professionals", whether entering the Fencing Academy of rich Nobles, like the Prince de Conti, or becoming a Maitre d'Armes ( Teacher) or Prvt d'Armes (assistant) in one of the many Academies whichflourished in the cities. I read that around 1760 some 30 000 professional fencers peopled the numerous salles d'armes in Paris! ( though this number may beoverestimated, it gives an idea of the importance of this forerunner of today's "sports".)

In these Academies, duels, challenges, tournaments were often organised and drew crowds of amateurs and attendants.These competitions were gambled on.The best fencers, even if notMasters or Prevts, could make a living out of it. To sum it up, fencing was a favorite leisure for a great part of the population, and a way of life for others.

This shows how important fencing should be in baroque age roleplay, whether as a swordsman, or as an attendant. Besides, it's fun and the opportuniy to meet and share good moments between us.

1008_discussions.jpg

This being said, let's be practical:-) The En Garde! Royal Courts Fencing Groupis ready and able to help and assist all Royal Courts Administratorswho would wish to organise fencing tournaments in their court. Please contact Myron Verne in this NING or inworld if interested.

FIRST GRAND OPEN TOURNAMENT

Look in the events: we will organise in Coeur, on the pistes near the Languedoc Tavern, a tournament opened to all fencers of the Royal Courts, on Saturday , November the thirteenth, between 1 and 4 pm.

RESTRICTIONS

Only two restrictions: 1/ No absolute beginners allowed: you need to know the moves of En Garde!, in order not to slow down the competition too much Recent beginners who know the moves are welcomed, on the contrary: that's the way to have fun and improve! 2/ Please wear period clothes( Tudor to Regency, large spectrum!)

The winner of this tournament will be awarded 2000 L$, thanks to the generosity of our hosts, The Duc and Duchesses of Coeur. The rules will be simple: 1/the winner of a duel is qualified for the nextround 2/ the loser is eliminated 3/ The Tournament Referee is Myron de Verne, and his decisions are final (lol).

BUT THERE IS MORE...

We are in touch with some Courts to organise other tournaments in later months:All these tournaments will be independant, and there is no obligation to take part in all of them, but..The Royal Courts Fencing Groupwill keep track of the results in any of these tournaments he helps organising, and points will be awarded each time. At the end of this shortseries of tournaments, the Champion who will have scored more points in the total of all these competitions will be awarded by the Royal Courts Fencing Group a bonus prize of 3000 L$, and be distinguished by the title of

ROYAL COURTS FENCING CHAMPION OF THE YEAR!

We do hope you will grasp this opportunity for your personal enjoyment and for the Honour of your Court!

updated by @lord-myron-de-verne: 13 Oct 2016 12:25:23AM
Lord Myron de Verne
@lord-myron-de-verne
14 years ago
113 posts
Still wondering why and how my discussion landed in the "Architecture" category...I must have goofed once again.seems I am typing with a sword in one hand and a dagger in the other.
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
14 years ago
1,919 posts
That's ok, Myron. It was easy to move :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Princesa Bianca Isabella Ranica
@princesa-bianca-isabella-ranica
14 years ago
1 posts
I'll be sure to pass this along to my brother, all in all, I hope it goes well.
Leary Macpherson
@leary-macpherson
14 years ago
3 posts
I would like to do this also - but I need a practice partner so I can learn the basics..... *pouts* I certainly can't ask stormy since she thinks the fencing swords are just pointy things!!!! any suggestions on a tutor?
Capacitatodd Principe diMelioria
@capacitatodd-principe-dimelioria
14 years ago
15 posts
Ahh Signore - How Grand! I will travel to that fair land so as not to miss such an exciting event..........and carry my purse. I will also send you a letter ahead so we may plan a tournament at my Villa. Hopefully with winter settling in to the north we may plan on many trying to escape to our sublime weather here in Melioria. And I promise to match the extreme generousity of the Duc and Duchesses of Coeur with a generous award. Best Regards Capacitatodd Elswit, Principe di Melioria
Lord Myron de Verne
@lord-myron-de-verne
14 years ago
113 posts
Why a spectator, Oona? you improve so fast! Join in!
Lord Myron de Verne
@lord-myron-de-verne
14 years ago
113 posts
Your Excellency,All of us in the Duch de Coeur are very much looking forward your coming to our fencing Championship, it will be a challenge!And I will be personally happy and honored to organize under Your Excellency's patronage the next Tournament in your wonderful Villa!
CeCe Barzan
@cece-barzan
14 years ago
7 posts
The Principe's Order of Westphalia team is hard at work practicing on our TWO new En Garde games located in the old Fortress. The Principe assures me we shall have a most excellent team....And I believe it from all the blood and bits of flesh I've been having to mop up from there daily.
Lord Myron de Verne
@lord-myron-de-verne
14 years ago
113 posts
Ah Dear Cece, always in charge with the hard work when the others have fun cutting themselves into pieces!Yes, the Order of Westphalia will be a new challenge for all fencers of the Royal Courts! it's so exciting!
CeCe Barzan
@cece-barzan
14 years ago
7 posts
And for an extra incentive to get those princely lay-abouts to practice, I've managed to weasel some money out of the Principe.Every month on the 15th, I'll look at the practice boards and everyone who manages to fight their way onto our Local Champions board shall receive L$200. Perhaps that will help keep the royalty from cutting off their noses to spite their faces during the En Garde Tournaments!