Living History
Donate to LHVW

Digital Colorizing of the Past from Time Magazine

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
12 years ago
358 posts

From Time Magazine .... Colorizing the Past

I would be curious as to what people in general think about whether this is a good or bad idea? To color, or not to color? Please post your opinions and thank you :-)

updated by @lady-leena-fandango: 06 Oct 2016 06:16:05AM
MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
12 years ago
647 posts

That is very impressive! Although the charm from black and white pictures is also very nice, I'd think.

Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
12 years ago
471 posts

I think its very interesting and that they managed to color it so well is amazing. It really gives another dimension to it :)

One thing that can be counted against this is that the person colorizing it simply doesnt know what color the persons in the picture wore in RL.

And I have to agree with ML that black and white photos have their own kind of charm.

But even the photographers back in they day colorized their black and white photos.My grandparents for example had two black and white photo portraits of themselves that were colorized.

Cherish Carver
@cherish-carver
12 years ago
47 posts

I think with the colorizing it shows you more details and things that weren't quite seen before. Things you normally wouldn't notice when looking at a black and white picture because they are to dark in the photo. I think it is a pretty good idea.

Leopoldina
@leopoldina
12 years ago
280 posts

Very nice!I nfound about this russian photographer,who created atechnichto colorize photos,in thebeginof the XX century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Prokudin-Gorsky

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
12 years ago
471 posts

Yes! Its amazing isnt it?

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
12 years ago
358 posts

Thanks for sharing these links ..... the photograph of the Armenian woman on the boston.com website is striking, and from 1910 no less ..... really, really nice :)